• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Moon effecting external ballistics

CPEC0402

Private
Minuteman
Jun 3, 2009
Indiana
Just for shits and grins, has anyone ever heard of the moon having a <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> measurable <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> effect on external ballistics in relation to it's position in orbit? A guy was fucking with me the other day and this was one of the freak questions he asked me. We all know that gravity is the only constant in external ballistics. I've never heard of the moon creating a measurable effect, although low/high tide is well known. I told him that theoretically the moon has a minimal effect, but not enough to measure or apply on the range. Agree/disagree?

Re: Moon effecting external ballistics

The gravity thing isn't constant either......

but it's not enough variation to matter one little bit.

Jim

Tidal forces affect everything on the planet. But bullets? Measureably? I think you'd need a pretty precise set of measurement gear to even identify any difference at all.

IMHO the moon affects the shooter more than the bullet - shooter is made up of H20.

Yessir, absolutely...; just a light trim around the ankles and wrists, please...

Ahwoooooo!!!!!!

It's called Lunar Drift and there is a video roaming around of me explaining it in great detail... that and the aurora coriolis is very real.

I'll just add the moon to my litany of excuses heard on why people cannot shoot a small group.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CPEC0402</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...gravity is the only constant in external ballistics...</div></div>
Not precisely true. The gravitational pull at sea level is greater than the pull at 10,000 feet.........

Interesting. But it appears from everybody's posts that everything is technical in theory, yet in practice not practical due to not having a measurable effect. For instance, one could then argue that technically the sun applies gravitational forces as well, etc. etc...

Someone call mythbusters...Actually if I see them screw up one more gun myth...
mad.gif

It sounds like he was just messing with you to me.

Man I need to figure out how to get that video on here.
for those in the know
((((your gonna love my nuts)))))

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bryan Litz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no</div></div>
But what about that butterfly flapping its wings in Tokyo, Bryan?

It's all about chaos theory!!!!

Seriously, Bryan in right. Gravity is one of the weaker fundamental forces, and has its effects on huge masses in the solar system (like oceans), and in part over long spans of time sufficient to overcome inertia of anything moving.

A. The sun's gravity has a larger microscopically measurable effect.

B. All such effects on a fast-moving bullet are massively overpowered by other effects hugely closer to the bullet and causing dispersion, such as random air movements.

BTW, Bryan--

Are there any observed experiments of small arms projectile dispersion in vacuum or near-vacuum as compared to the most "reliable" test setup, a tunnel with still air and enough room around the bullet path to avoid funniness???

Thanks!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grump - you may have seen this, but others probably have not:

Secrets of the Houston Warehouse

As an engineer, a finikin, and a shooter, these guys are my heroes.
laugh.gif

</div></div>
Oh yeah, that was one of the most delightful reads about what Bill Alexander calls "chasing the accuracy demon" I've ever enjoyed!

As I understand lunar magnetic draw, and at least it's effects on the tide and oceanic current, IF, a shooter had a steel ball in his butt (carbon in steel, not non-carbon), there might be a tendancy to lift the shooter off of the ground a bit...

Now, this might have two effects.

FIRST, discomfort. Clearly, some shooters might have a problem with ring rentention energetic control. In other words, the ball might ball out... no big deal to some, big deal to others.

SECOND, if you get lifted high enough from the stock, your scope might "cat eye" out, the same effect that happens when L&S Mark IV M-1s are up around 140 MOA or more. That sucks.

THIRD, the higher you are pulled, clearly the less ass is behind the mass of the gun, recoil stuff gets wierd, BP goes up, HR goes up, sweating, things that resemble an MI start to occur...

Question is, what happens when the moon goes behind a cloud??

Dammit, another ponderable!!!

With a grin,
Trigger

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Grump - you may have seen this, but others probably have not:

Secrets of the Houston Warehouse

As an engineer, a finikin, and a shooter, these guys are my heroes.
laugh.gif

</div></div>

Thats one of the best reads on the WWW if accuracy is your thing
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerfifty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

With a grin,
Trigger</div></div>

....answer....you bark at the moon !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Triggerfifty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

With a grin,
Trigger</div></div>

....answer....you bark at the moon ! </div></div>

Do you have to have blood dripping from your mouth to count as an effective bark?

All of you are nuts.

This conversation is not happening. It is all in your minds.

You are all dead, having been killt in the mass cataclysms of the last planetary conjunction, six of them lining up with the moon, on May 5, 2000. http://www.baproducts.com/552000.htm

This is all a hallucination.

There is absolutely less drop on a full moon. Don't let these guys trick you into beleiving this isn't the case. Also there in a disproportionate decrease in drop during a waxing gibbous vs a waning gibbous.

Just kidding.

Grump has it right. Gravity is the weakest of the four fundamental forces by a huge magnitude. Consider the fact that you can lift a paper clip with a refrigerator magnet, defeating the gravity caused by the mass of the entire Earth pulling on it.

The Moon has enough mass to cause tidal shifting, but its affect on a bullet are going to be insignificant.

Pull your heads out of your asses, the gravity of the Moon can and does affect the tides in the worlds oceans, so if the moon can lift the Pacific, it will affect the flight of a bullet, and coming soon to a sporting goods store near you Bynum Self Cleaning Bullets.

It's not quite that simple, Cobra. Sure it can tug on the oceans, but using that as the key logic then you would think why not tug on us as well? The Moon affects all matter on Earth, but fluid masses will be able to deform differently than solid objects, so the MAGNITUDE of the force is so perceptively small on a bullet that it really doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Physics: it works, bitches!

The force of the moon's gravity on an object at the surface of the earth is 3 millionths the force of the earth's gravity on that object. The force exerted by the moon's gravity on a 175 grain bullet is 75 billionths of a pound. Not to worry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dogtown</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's not quite that simple, Cobra. Sure it can tug on the oceans, but using that as the key logic then you would think why not tug on us as well? The Moon affects all matter on Earth, but fluid masses will be able to deform differently than solid objects, so the MAGNITUDE of the force is so perceptively small on a bullet that it really doesn't make a noticeable difference.

Physics: it works, bitches! </div></div>

That was Satire Sir

the speed of rotation of the moon and earth are equal, that is why we only see the one side of the moon. because soil is more dense than water, water is more drawn and noticable to the gravitational pull of the moon.

since lead and copper are not magnetic and are much more dense than water and soil, multiplied by newton's law's of gravity and motion, the lunar effect has no measurable effect on trajectory/point of impact of a projectile.

excerpt taken from mr. spock's discertation on "ballistics on known missles within the orbit of a dual mooned planet"

what?

Speaking of crack, this thread is cracking me up. The Moon affecting the external ballistics of a bullet
crazy.gif

I guess during daylight hours it's OK, it only affects it at night like a werewolf.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i seem to have dropped my pipe &#9786; </div></div>

AKA "Straight Shooter"

Given the following:
Gravitational force
Fg=(G)((M)(m)/(R^2))

Gravitational constant G=6.67*10^-11 M^3/Kg*s^2
Mass of the moon M=7.63*10^11 Kg
Mass of 175gr bullet m=.011 Kg
Distance to the moon in its elliptical orbit R= 363,104 km to 405,696 km

The force exerted on the round by the moon depending on its location is:
.338N and .377N

So the difference of force on the round is .039N
Which translates to approximately 3% of the bullets weight.

Big deal huh?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scuzy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Given the following:
Gravitational force
Fg=(G)((M)(m)/(R^2))

Gravitational constant G=6.67*10^-11 M^3/Kg*s^2
Mass of the moon M=7.63*10^11 Kg
Mass of 175gr bullet m=.011 Kg
Distance to the moon in its elliptical orbit R= 363,104 km to 405,696 km

The force exerted on the round by the moon depending on its location is:
.338N and .377N

So the difference of force on the round is .039N
Which translates to approximately 3% of the bullets weight.

Big deal huh?
</div></div>

Mass of the moon is 7.63*10^22 kg. Using the formula I get about 4x10^-8N force on the bullet. Much less than 3% of the weight. I think you forgot to convert km to meters, which after squaring is a factor of 1 million.

Yes I know the original post is not serious. Sorry to revive it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.....i miss NOBODY................ </div></div>

Speaking of him, whatever happened to him?

Of course the Moon's tidal effect with affect the flight of the bullet - any mass overhead will pull the bullet off course. That's why we always close our firing ranges anytime we have helicopters or fixed-wing aircraft along the gun-target line - we don't want that smaller, yet much closer and therefore more significant, mass to pull us off trajectory and cause us to shoot long.

I SERIOUSLY hope no one bought into THAT line of bullshit!
wink.gif

I don't know about you all but I keep a tide table in my dope book. The mean height for Cook Inlet, AK is predicted to be 4ft. today...

Who's Moon? George's assistant?
grin.gif

Moon is amazing. Not only can he build a world class rifle, but he can bend the path of a bullet by harnessing the moons magnetic fields. I seen it!

Nobody misses you Scott ;-)

What I find mildly interesting is that several times in this thread the assertion has been made that "gravity" has little or no effect on a projectile. And it is a known fact that if Uranus is behind the bullet/gun there is much less effect on YOUR trajectory than if Uranus is in front of the bullet/gun.