• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns More 1911 fuddery

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017

Does anyone care about what the 1911 fudds say or do? They seem to forget that there are many other designs without all the weaknesses of a "finely tuned" 1911.

Yes I know who the guy in the video is. No I don't care about his advice. It's either dated or specific to only one type of pistol.

Massad Ayoob is one of the biggest, and most irritating, pussies in the entire gun industry.

The entire wilson combat youtube crew is just a bunch of irritating boomers (except maybe for Mike Seeklander)

Show clear, slide down, hammer down and holster. Range is clear.

I guess none of them compete in USPSA or PCSL or etc etc

Well if you must know the correct commands are:
    1. If you're finished unload and show clear.
    2. If clear, hammer down and holster.
    Nothing more, nothing less.

PS, omit the "if you're finished" part when disqualifying someone.

Reactions: stefan73
    If dropping the slide occasionally is going to ruin the "tune" on your gun...how is it going to stay "in tune" for thousands of rounds?

The ONLY thing keeping it "in tune" is the stripping force of the magazine?

How do you account for worn magazine springs? Nickel plated brass? Lighter weight bullets?

From a design standpoint, you don't base the life of your product on an unknown variable.

Also, how many 1911 were abused in militaries and police departments around the world for decades that managed to keep on ticking?

Maybe if you stopped tuning guns to the ragged edge of reliability, you wouldn't have to handle them with kids gloves.

I've run 1911s a lot....never been all that gentle with them.....and never really had any significant issues with them either.
    Don't shoot the messenger, but what they say is the stripping of the next round off the top of the mag reduces the velocity of the slide to a level that does not exacerbate the issue.

Don't shoot the messenger, but what they say is the stripping of the next round off the top of the mag reduces the velocity of the slide to a level that does not exacerbate the issue.
    I get that that's the idea. Never had an issue with any of mine. Anything from a lowely Sig to high dollar customs. After a stage, I'm usually too amped to ever remember to ride the slide forward. If they get fucked up, which I doubt, I'll either get em fixed or buy a new one.

Reactions: lash
    Had do do it with one of my bullseye guns. Dropping on an empty chamber would cause hammer follow. Not what you want for a defense gun, but it wasn’t a defense gun either.

Barrel lugs…meh.

Wilson combat isn’t anywhere near the level of my bullseye guns. If your Wilson combat gets hammer follow from sending the slide home on an empty chamber then Wilson combat fucked you.

Massad Ayoob is a faggot.

Last edited:
    Looks like a helmet
    A "hairmet" if you will.

I have a wilson combat gunsmithing video, like a 2dvd thing, from late 90s ??
    Once of the function checks is dropping slide without a mag to ensure sear is set properly and doesnt fall over. They do it, but also say repeated over testing ruins the sear job. Weird.

• Haha
    Reactions: 308pirate
    I didn’t bother with the video as I’ve never heard or read anything from Ayoob that I thought was beneficial.
    No, I don’t let the slide slam down on an empty chamber on my 1911’s. Nor any of my other auto pistols or rifles. I don’t know why I would. I don’t know why weapon type would make a difference, whether you’re “supposed to” or not.
    I’m sure if I threw the frame from my 365 in the floor my dog would love to chew on it and the 365 would still run after reassembly, but I wouldn’t do that either.

Does anyone care about what the 1911 fudds say or do? They seem to forget that there are many other designs without all the weaknesses of a "finely tuned" 1911.

Yes I know who the guy in the video is. No I don't care about his advice. It's either dated or specific to only one type of pistol.

This is amazing! (sarc)

It is amazing because Ayoob looks exactly like he looked 35 years ago AND he seemingly failed to evolve in that time.

In the late 80s Walt Rauch and a hand full of others put on an annual practical comp called the National Tactical Invitational (NTI) at Gun Sight. Jeff Cooper was still alive and I think he was the catalyst for Walt and company to put on the N.T.I.

The overall premise of the gettogether was sound and there was good lessons to be learned through the competition and Simunition scenarios.

The above "self defense authority" was there and we sat next to him and his barrel suckers at a couple of the meetings. Should have worn rubber boots or waders. I had a headache the next day from rolling my eyes. .

He is a legend in his own mind.
    Pretty sure that is the same hair piece he had then. I believe we named it Mittens. 🤷‍♂️

Show clear, slide down, hammer down and holster. Range is clear.

I guess none of them compete in USPSA or PCSL or etc etc

Bill Wilson is one of the founding members of USPSA. He formed the USPSA corporation and helped write the bylaws.

This is amazing! (sarc)

It is amazing because Ayoob looks exactly like he looked 35 years ago AND he seemingly failed to evolve in that time.

In the late 80s Walt Rauch and a hand full of others put on an annual practical comp called the National Tactical Invitational (NTI) at Gun Sight. Jeff Cooper was still alive and I think he was the catalyst for Walt and company to put on the N.T.I.

The overall premise of the gettogether was sound and there was good lessons to be learned through the competition and Simunition scenarios.

The above "self defense authority" was there and we sat next to him and his barrel suckers at a couple of the meetings. Should have worn rubber boots or waders. I had a headache the next day from rolling my eyes. .

He is a legend in his own mind.
    Pretty sure that is the same hair piece he had then. I believe we named it Mittens. 🤷‍♂️

That dude said if you smoke someone with handloads you'd go to prison because you loaded your own ammo. He's a gigantic fud cunt who's only achievement is writing fan fiction is 80's and 90's corporate gun rags.

Had do do it with one of my bullseye guns. Dropping on an empty chamber would cause hammer follow. Not what you want for a defense gun, but it wasn’t a defense gun either.

Barrel lugs…meh.

Wilson combat isn’t anywhere near the level of my bullseye guns. If your Wilson combat gets hammer follow from sending the slide home on an empty chamber then Wilson combat fucked you.

Massad Ayoob is a faggot.
    How light was your trigger pull ?

Bill Wilson is one of the founding members of USPSA. He formed the USPSA corporation and helped write the bylaws.
    What they did 40 years ago is completely irrelevant.

Him and his crew are no longer at the forefront of anything pistol related

How light was your trigger pull ?
    3.5 lbs. It was an oddball as my other pistols had no issues.

I had a Madore wad gun with a 2.75 lb pull but it was only for personal practice since it wasn’t match legal.

Having waded through this thread from the start and watched “some” of the videos……..

I have shot USPSA and taken a couple of pistol classes and become an NRA Basic Pistol Instructor. NOT an Expert, but think this video is geared towards those wh odo a LOT of dry fire practice. If you rack the slide EVERY draw and shot on a 1911, I can possibly see the wear issues.

For the “Normal” shooter I think that it is a moot point though. In reality, how many hundreds/thousands of dry fire slide racks without a magazine/snap cap cause this issue?

Last edited:
    I shot against him, Plaxco, Shaw, Clark and some others in the early 80's. It was still just IPSC then. Second Chance was also big at the time.

McCormic, Barnhart and Miculek were getting ready to blossom into the top contender spots.

Bill was a pretty good shooter but he wasn't "ate up with it" like some others.
    Remember that Wilson was trying to grow his relatively new 1911 shop at the time. His sole reason for pushing USPSA was to create a shooter base that would grow his business. Wilson Combat probably wouldn't exist as we know it were it not for the USPSA being born.

I find it very difficult to watch MA he’s a creepy looking little weirdo.

I own only one Wilson Combat product, an SFX9 with an optic cut slide I bought used for $2K. I had to do some minor filing on the slide stop lever to make it run correctly, so I guess I know why the previous owner shot it very little and sent it down the road.

Despite the amateur hour gunsmithing I like the pistol a lot, and it runs like a raped ape now.

My subsequent dealings with Wilson have been infuriating though. Even simple shit like ordering magazines they’ve managed to fuck up and send the wrong products. Order 18 rounders and get 10 rounders instead. For fucks sake they don’t even look the same.

• Haha
    Reactions: 308pirate
    I have a few 1911 Wilson’s that I have enjoyed for years and form the backbone of my carry rotation. I guess I have been fortunate, I have put a few thousand round’s through them with great reliability's. That said I don’t think the Wilson Combat of today matches that of even 5 years ago.

Reactions: nikonNUT
    As a guy who’s pretty much bald, I want to see a video from Massad Ayboob on hair piece selection and retention techniques.

I mean I am OK with a buzz cut with no guard right now, I just look like every other weight lifting bald guy with a beard and no neck.

Someday I want to be as cool as Mas though and without a hair piece I will never pull it off.

I wonder if he keeps a backup gun underneath it?

I don't care what any gun person says or does.

Whatever the contents of his other videos, there are a select few he did on intro to carry that are helpful (along with other sources) for new folks learning to CC for the first time.

the other stuff is just an opinion. opinions are like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink :rolleyes:

Wtf did I just watch? Black Rambo got better technique than this guy.

Black Rambo is legit

His trigger finger discipline needs some polishing but I could work with him.

He'd be fun at a match for sure

I tried to watch these videos just to see what all the lols are about. I got bored and quit 30 seconds in, my YT algorithm is probably all screwed up now, and I still don't know what's so funny.
    His fucking voice alone is enough to knock me out.

• Haha
    Reactions: Threadcutter308
    and I still don't know what's so funny.

His hair piece and googly eyes?

Ayoob was selling "expert testimony" in the 90's and 00's. I always wondered what made him an expert, turns out his resume basically says 'I read some shit'. His competition cred was when he turned up to a match and was the only one in a division so he won by default. I suspect he has the entire WC training VCR tape library.

His fucking voice alone is enough to knock me out.
    I know very little about the guy, don't really care and don't have any bones to pick with him.

But, I spent 14 years selling power semiconductors into various industries. Part of my territory was california and there were many EV, Wind, Solar and Energy Storage startups there. I spent a lot of time having to listen to bullshit from guys starting their Venture Capital funded companies, spouting off about how "new, innovative and disruptive" their technology was. 95% of them had chains/locks on their doors within a month of the VC money running out, which seemed to happen the vast majority of the time.

MA strikes me as being cut from the same/similar cloth. And, I can't stand his voice or speech inflections either. Fingernails on a chalkboard.

Reactions: lash and 308pirate