• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing More bolt knob installation pictures

monteboy84

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 23, 2008
Elk River, MN
www.snipercentral.com
Some of my latest work. I'm short on time at the moment so please forgive my lack of captions, but they should all be in chronological order for now.

100_0236.jpg

100_0237.jpg

100_0238.jpg

100_0239.jpg

100_0240.jpg

100_0241.jpg

100_0242.jpg

100_0243.jpg

100_0244.jpg

100_0245.jpg

Thanks!

-matt

Re: More bolt knob installation pictures

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burneyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much for a knob install?
</div></div>

$130 complete, which includes the knob, paint, and return shipping, none of which are pictured here. the handle portion of the bolt is also media blasted before paint to promote adhesion.

Thanks!

-matt

Much cleaner look than typical 700 knob installs. Thanks for the pics.

Matt installed a TacOps bolt knob on my HTR. You would never know by looking at it that its didn't come that way from HS Precision. He really does great work and his turn around time is quick.

what the hell are you doing with that many handles? You must be outfitting the Sniper brigade of the Federational United Brotherhood of the Republican Democracy of Umpopamamu

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DUDE, you got sling shot ammo!!!! </div></div>
My thoughts exactly. I would have had some fun with those for sure back in the day. I used the iron ore pellets quite a bit also

What kind of paint do you use?

Can you Cerakote them too?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: monteboy84</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burneyr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How much for a knob install?
</div></div>

$130 complete, which includes the knob, paint, and return shipping, none of which are pictured here. the handle portion of the bolt is also media blasted before paint to promote adhesion.

Thanks!

-matt</div></div>

There is a reason I only let Matt do my bolt knobs. Look at the attention to detail.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: USMC7980</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what the hell are you doing with that many handles? You must be outfitting the Sniper brigade of the Federational United Brotherhood of the Republican Democracy of Umpopamamu </div></div>

Wholesale work for dealers, these all belong to customers
cool.gif
I believe 3 of these went for new dept 700P's that are being deployed for security during the Florida gubernatorial inauguration.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elcam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What kind of paint do you use?

Can you Cerakote them too?
</div></div>

I currently use Duracoat, but I'v been looking into Cerakote. I'm preparing to move from one shop to another in January, so I'll likely wait to fully transfer to Cerakote until then, but I could get my hands on some in the mean time if you'd be interested. I've got some pictures of painted ones, but most often I use Duracoat Tactical Black, and the ultra-flat finish make it difficult to take good pictures.

Thanks for all the kind words guys, I've been working a lot on improving my install process and I'm really proud of the finish quality and consistency that I'm now able to achieve.

-matt

I wish I would have seen this 2 weeks ago. I sent a bolt out to have the firing pin bushed and had them thread it at the same time. I would have rather had you do the bolt knob. Do you do Winchesters? I am in need of a new knob on my Winnie.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad from ND</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you do Winchesters? I am in need of a new knob on my Winnie.

Thanks </div></div>

Yes sir! I'll have to look and see if I have any pictures but I've done a number of them before. They're really hard (material, not difficulty), so they require solid carbide bits, which I now keep on hand. Price is the same as any other since the bits last a long time as long as I treat them right.

-matt

Thanks for the quick response. A friend of mine has taken my rifle hostage so when I finally get it back, I'll look you up. When are you going to get the website up and running and how far from Fargo are you? You must be down near the cities.

Well, I've been meaning to update the website for some time, but I've made a poin of not doing it until I get things up and going at my house. I currently drive 70 miles one way to work on these, in borrowed space, so while I take on work when anyone is inerested, but I've not been actively promoting for the most part. So, long story short, I'll have the site completed when I'm finished making the move to work from my house. Needless to say, I'm running behind schedule on that one
grin.gif

I'm on the North side of the cities near Elk River, so a few hours from Fargo.

-matt

Great work, I am most impressed with your blending job. There are a lot of guys that can Tig weld, but it is the finish work that has to be up to snuff to really pull off a nice job, and you certainly did that.
SScott

I must say, VERY NICELY DONE! Your work is very impressive. I may just have to buy a new rifle to have you work on it.
smile.gif

Whats up with all the bolt heads missing finish? What are you doing to that end?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Whats up with all the bolt heads missing finish? What are you doing to that end? </div></div>

The ones missing finish are for a smith friend of mine, they've been trued up by him and will be refinished. I don't do anything outside the handle portion of the bolt.

-matt

What's the turnaround time on these? Are you doing any other bolt work? Did you get set up to cerakote?

very nice. i'm no gunsmith but i work with steel everyday and i wish I could teach the 40 some odd guys that work for me how to tig that well. I'd turn in my notice if we could teach them to blend in a seam that well, they wouldn't need me around to hassle the guys anymore.

do you do anything for tikka? i haven't seen anything i particularly like over the factory handle, most everything is too big for my taste. something easier to grad, swept back, but not overly large.

hey guys, thanks for the compliments! Sorry I've missed this, haven't checked here in a while.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperaviator</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How do you keep track of which bolt goes to which gun/customer? </div></div>

Every bolt has the last 4 digits of the serial number etched onto its bottom side, so when I get a bolt in I write this 4-digit number on the address label from each customer as I unpack it. Obviously since it is only the last 4-digits the number can repeat, but I've never had 2 here with the same number, though I check in every batch that comes in.

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TxAg08</div><div class="ubbcode-body">very nice. i'm no gunsmith but i work with steel everyday and i wish I could teach the 40 some odd guys that work for me how to tig that well. I'd turn in my notice if we could teach them to blend in a seam that well, they wouldn't need me around to hassle the guys anymore.

do you do anything for tikka? i haven't seen anything i particularly like over the factory handle, most everything is too big for my taste. something easier to grad, swept back, but not overly large. </div></div>

Thanks so much! I've never considered myself much of a welder, but I self-taught myself on the TIG and have been happy with my results on these lately. The blending process has been a never-ending experiment for me, but I feel that now I've gotten my abrasive selection nailed down well enough that I don't plan to tweak it anymore.

I've done some Tikkas in the past, but I'm still working on a more permanent drop-in bolt handle replacement, rather than having to modify the factory bolt handles. Modifying them is no big deal, but I'd like to be able to offer a replacement for the guys who may want to go back to the factory handle at some point.

Thanks!

-matt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DUDE, you got sling shot ammo!!!! </div></div>

Thats exactly what I was thinking...lol

thanks for the read and pics are excellent i may give it a try.

Thanks guys!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lsm62</div><div class="ubbcode-body">thanks for the read and pics are excellent i may give it a try. </div></div>

No problem, get in touch with me if you're giving it a try and I'll give you some pointers to make your life easier.

-matt