• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More is less :( Leica CRF 3500, Kestrel, and too many apps

PoorShooter

Private
Minuteman
Oct 27, 2022
MN
I am looking for a little guidance. I am a hunter who shoots a 6CM to ~700 yards. Despite being a bit "techie" I had terrible connectivity and reliability and between my 3500 CRF and Kestrel 5700x. Specifically, in a hunting situation I would have the Kestrel on and range with the CRF only to get occasional solutions that were pretty slow. My needs are pretty basic, I was hoping to get the Applied Ballistics info displayed on my CRF. I just downloaded the new Leica Ballistics app and was hoping that I could burn more money and get the AB upgrade and that would display the holds on the RF. How would you weave these expensive toys together to shoot quickly and accurately in the field? Thanks in advance for the help!

Are you using a mil-based optic? If so, try Speed Drop, you can use it pretty quickly to get elevation data by subtracting the SD number from the range.

Using data from a Waypoint 2020 shooting Hornady 6CM 103's at 2872 the SD number is 2.5. Target at 420 yards, 4.2 - 2.5 = 1.7 (according to Strelok that's within .2 mil or 3" of actual dope). Target at 756, 7.6-2.5 = 5.1 mils. 511 yard target, 5.1 - 2.5 =2.6 mils. Using this you'll be within +/- .2 mils.

Or

You could tape a simple dope chart to your stock. Never rely on tech.

Are you using a mil-based optic? If so, try Speed Drop, you can use it pretty quickly to get elevation data by subtracting the SD number from the range.

Using data from a Waypoint 2020 shooting Hornady 6CM 103's at 2872 the SD number is 2.5. Target at 420 yards, 4.2 - 2.5 = 1.7 (according to Strelok that's within .2 mil or 3" of actual dope). Target at 756, 7.6-2.5 = 5.1 mils. 511 yard target, 5.1 - 2.5 =2.6 mils. Using this you'll be within +/- .2 mils.

Or

Hi! Thanks for this! Gizmos stink. Yeah, MIL based NF 5-25. I put a laminated card on my bino harness and that's what I used. Was hoping to be able to range and see the hold and quickly check that against my analog card. Thanks again!

Or

Ding, ding, ding.....winner winner chicken dinner. This right here for this situation.

the sig 5k has never given me connection issues and displays your ballistics right in the LRF screen. If you're hunting in differing weather or locations at that distance you will want your kestrel not some old data taped on your rifle.

Multiple devices and bouncing shit through apps and losing connectivity is exactly why I bought EL Range TA's. Upload the info to the device once and it does everything but wind on the device. A simple 10mph wind chart on the gun takes care of that.

Reactions: PoorShooter