• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors More knives made over Christmas and the snow storm

donws2

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2008
Mountain Rest, South Carolina
Well I had far more free time than I needed at Xmas and then a big snow storm pretty much left me stranded at home for a couple days so off to the shop I go. These are my first full tang blades. I just desided to go with what ever seems to work for the blade shape and did not really plan out the knifes much other than the handle matterial and spacers. I wanted to end up with something different for each as what's the point of just making copies of the same Knife? I can go to a store and buy multiples of the same thing. So as they say, "it ain't true with out pictures", LOL.

First one is Alabama Damascus, Walnut from a tree my yard and the liner is from a plastic clip board. Brass rivets for the hand guard and stainless tube in the cross guard with black weedeater string glued in the center.
DSC04419.jpg

Second knife is Alabama Damascus, Spalted maple from a stump in the front yard the power company left after cutting down my tree wiht out permission, Thanks Blue Ridge Power. Still more black clip board and copper ground strapping for the liner. Brass on brass gaurd and mozaic pins from North Coast Knifes. I really like the feel of this skinner and would do it again.
DSC04429.jpg

Third one is again Alabama Damscus and Desert Iron Wood I bought at the local fun (gun) show. Brass gaurd with brass pins and the same mozaic pins from #2. Liner matterial is some sort of fiber reinforest plastic from North Coast Knifes. This stuff works great but ain't cheap so I'll be looking for a bulk source for this item. I really like the handle shape and feel but not the blade shape on this knife. But you just don't know until you make it so it is what it is.
DSC04424.jpg

Last is something I just threw together as a lark. I've seen some Custom stuff that had inlays and designs so I desided to see what I could do with a chunk of scrap walnut and a band saw. I use red plasic picnic plates for the fish and other spacer. A small piece of wild cherry from a piece I cut about 12 years ago and some of the black fiber/plastic stuff from #3. The shape is not what I had in mind it just sort of happened as I was sanding this one out and it feels nice in the hand. Blade is a Sandavik laminate called a Puukko made in Finnland and purchased from North Coast Knifes. I would buy the larger one called a Camper next time. This one is a little on the small side for my taste.
DSC04416.jpg

Re: More knives made over Christmas and the snow storm

Very nice knives. Should you ever decide to sell some let me know.

Price on knife #2? I would be interested in it. Nice work!!

Hi guys and thanks for the compliments. I really found I liked making these so I think this is something I may keep on doing in my spare time. These are my first four full tang knives and were more of a test to see which blade pattern and handle styles I like. The very first two are by far my favorite so far. I think the blade patterns are supperior to the other two and the handles feel far more natural in the hand than the other two. I'm going to hold onto these for now but I do have another of the second blade pattern that I will put together this week. I'll think about selling one of them after I'm done.

Donald

These are all really nice. I wish I could do something like this. You have alot of talent in this area, if you ever want to sell them add me to the list.