• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More questions about Desert Tactical ***PICS/RR***

hydro556

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2007
STL, home of the Cardinals.
I searched and didnt find anything.

I am wondering about some of the Desert Tactical accessories. Specifically their quality and prices.

I am wondering if their cleaning kit is high quality and worth the cost. It includes a coated cleaning rod a bore guide plus more stuff. Is anyone here using it with their SRS? Is it high quality and effective? Are there better options for the money?

What about their other accessories, such as the tool kit? I am told it is a Seekonik tq wrench. Is there more to it?

Re: More questions about Desert Tactical

Man....are you like 2nd guessing yourself or what? Slow down...breath.

It is a rifle,is a rifle,is a rifle,...you need a long cleaning rod...I used a 44" Dewy with mine. I recommend DTA's bore guide. I would invest in a adjustable INCH pound torque wrench. I use the Brownells 10-70 in.lbs...that way you can use it on scope rings,action screws,etc.

As for a tool kit...I keep a bit driver and a set of metric and standard bits in a wide range of sizes...bought it at Ace Hardware for $15...in my range bag.

All their products I bought were top shelf...but if you have the items on hand, then use what you already have....or if you like to spend money...buy theirs.

Calm down....it will be ok.

Take care,Stan

Hydro, Get their bore guide for sure. Any cleaning rod you like thats quality will suffice. You need DTA's factory torque wrench for the barrel changes. I wouldn't use an variable wrench like Crafstman or such. See if Melissa can hook you up with the factory handled and their all in one tool for working on it. They are a must have in my mind for keeping it to factory spec's and avoiding the over torquing of the 4 barrel screws which will void your warranty if you mess them up and use too much torque on them. If you get the 10-70 inch pound wrench BgBgBoom mentions you would be ok too. I think their accessories are top flight. The only one I didn't get was their cleaning kit...just the bore guide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Man....are you like 2nd guessing yourself or what? Slow down...breath.

It is a rifle,is a rifle,is a rifle,...you need a long cleaning rod...I used a 44" Dewy with mine. I recommend DTA's bore guide. I would invest in a adjustable INCH pound torque wrench. I use the Brownells 10-70 in.lbs...that way you can use it on scope rings,action screws,etc.

As for a tool kit...I keep a bit driver and a set of metric and standard bits in a wide range of sizes...bought it at Ace Hardware for $15...in my range bag.

All their products I bought were top shelf...but if you have the items on hand, then use what you already have....or if you like to spend money...buy theirs.

Calm down....it will be ok.

Take care,Stan

</div></div>

Negative Stan. Not second guessing at all. Trying to decide where to spend my money. The stuff DT sells is stuff I have never seen, nor read reviews on. I am trying to determine, by seeking first hand knowledge, if they are what I should buy.

I suppose it can be hard to discern ones demeanor through a thread on the internet, but I hate that I left you with the impression that I was anything other than calm.

Either way, thanks for the opinions that were pertinent to the question. That is the type of first hand experience I am looking for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Guns4570</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hydro, Get their bore guide for sure. Any cleaning rod you like thats quality will suffice. You need DTA's factory torque wrench for the barrel changes. I wouldn't use an variable wrench like Crafstman or such. See if Melissa can hook you up with the factory handled and their all in one tool for working on it. They are a must have in my mind for keeping it to factory spec's and avoiding the over torquing of the 4 barrel screws which will void your warranty if you mess them up and use too much torque on them. If you get the 10-70 inch pound wrench BgBgBoom mentions you would be ok too. I think their accessories are top flight. The only one I didn't get was their cleaning kit...just the bore guide. </div></div>

That is kind of what I was wondering about. Whether I needed their torque wrench or if any one would work. The only in lb torque wrench I own is one of the Wheeler FAT wrenches. It is fine for applying consistent torque for something like scope rings and such, but I wouldnt consider it a precision instrument.

I will pick up the bore guide and likely pick up a short Dewey for the cleaning rod, then.

Don't go too short on the rod...remember that the rod is going through the action (minus the butt platte) barrel extention and a 26" barrel and 2" muzzle break for the 338 barrel.

Gotcha. Will use one of my other rods to get a measurement and then pick up what I need. Thanks. I hope to have the SRS chassis and 308 conversion here pretty quick, but not sure how quickly I will be able to get hold of the 338 conversion. From what I am told DTA is really starting to get product out the door now, so hopefully I can have it pretty soon.

This will be my first bull pup and mu first switch barrel. Really looking forward to getting this one.

You need 68-70 inch pounds for the barrel bolts....the one they sell is a fixed 68 in. lb. I use my variable one for many other things such as installing scopes on other rifles,action screws,etc. So for me it is much handier then only being able to use it for one thing...well you could use it to install the scope base also...DTA call for 65-68 in.lbs. for the scope base. But the rings require 15-18 in.lbs. so your going to need another torque wrench for that.

A short cleaning rod will probably NOT work to well....remember the barrels except for the .308 (it is 22") are 26".....and the action/stock adds another 15-18" to the area you will be running the rod through....unless you remove the barrel to clean it. The 44" one I used was just about right...could probably made due with a 42" but anything shorter would not have done it.

Did you ad rail covers to your list? How about the Pelican hard case? A sling and the "cup" type quick disconnects for it?

Other then the items already talked about you should be GTG...oh...all the allen heads are metric....so if you buy your own,make sure to get the metric ones....and some very small allen wrenches if you plan on adjusting the trigger.

Take care,Stan

I guess I can get by with my FAT adjustable wrench. And I copy on the longer Dewey rod. I didnt order any rail covers, but I have quite a selection of magpul rail covers. Assuming the rail are standard, I am fine there. I will have to come up with a sling and mounts.

You could also just use the Otis cleaning system and avoid the need for the bore guide and the huge rod. I use it for all my guns and pistols 50bmg through 308. It is compact and simple. If you use it with something like Wipeout cleaning becomes almost fun.

Does anyone kow if the SRS in 338 will fit in a pelican 1720 it is 42 inches inside. The other option would be the storm case which is 44 inside. What do you all think?

I have one of their master kits and have used it plenty of times when I want to clean at the range. They work very well.

Mine fits in a 1720 because the gun with 338 barrel and break is only 37.5"

L.

Do we know what the lead time is on the DT SRS rifles are right now? I read on the other thread that the production has been increased. Has anyone been quoted a specific wait time yet or is it still pretty vague?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ELLINGTON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mellissa said my rifle should be shipped this week. </div></div>

Good to hear, seems like they are shipping quite a few now. Post pics when you get it. What did you order exactly?

Wow, that is much faster than I expected to hear. Then again, the last time I called was a few months ago. Tempting tempting.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ZLBubba</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow, that is much faster than I expected to hear. Then again, the last time I called was a few months ago. Tempting tempting. </div></div>

Apparently they have stepped up production. There seem to be quite a few leaving SLC now.

I ordered mine in March. Hopefully it will be shipping soon. I figured it would have shipped out to me already but evidently there were quite a few people in front if me. Either way, I am sure it will be worth it when it finally gets here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the deal with these rifles, they just to do a thing for me? </div></div>

I have the same feelings towards AI and/or ACIS stocked rifles (or any thumb hole type stock) . That is the neat thing about firearms...there is something for everyone.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: adam boynton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the deal with these rifles, they just to do a thing for me? </div></div>

Are you saying they <span style="font-style: italic">dont </span> do a thing for you?

I also feel the same about the AI chassi'd rifles. Just cant get somfy on that stock.

The SRS does a lot for me, given the fact I have only seen pictures.

1/2moa accuracy out of a rifle that is 10" shorter than my GAP and several lbs lighter. Switch barrels in the field in a couple minutes. I think it is a great step forward, assuming mine does what everyone else claims theirs does.

Hydro...what you state about the SRS is true except for one thing. That GAP I sold you is lighter than the SRS. The GAP didn't weight 10# with scope/rings and base on it (Seekins and Zeiss Conquest). The SRS is 11.7# bare in 338. So its going to be 2-4 pounds heavier with scope (your S&B) and mount on it. More if you add a bipod etc.

I will have to weigh the GAP. It feels pretty heavy to me. Either way, it doesnt change my position. Neither of them are exactly mountain rifles, but the compactness of the SRS should make it very handy.

Once I put the PMII 5-25 and a bipod on it, it wont be a lightweight, but should very managable to carry.

Can anyone tell me for sure what the twist rate on the 338LM barrel is on the SRS? I have read 10 and 9.5 twist. It has to be on there, but I cannot find it on Desert Tactical's website. Also, same question for the 308 conversion.

The 338 SRS barrel is currently 1:10. They will be transitioning to 1:9.35 for their next run.

we are not transitioning to 1-9.35 the truth is we are evaluating a handful of barrels with that twist rate, that was miss information that was given out without authorization.

I will just look at whatever is stamped on the barrel, I guess. Nothing like getting info straight from the source. Thanks SR90, one of things I love about this forum.

I will just load whatever the barrel prefers anyway.

338's are 1-10, 308's are 1-11. The 338's shoot the 250 and 300 grain bullets wonderfully!

Good to hear SR90. I got all my reloading components here waiting, just need a 338 conversion here to get started.

sr90. Is it possible to supply my own carbon fiber wrapped barrel for the rifle when it is being built? I've been very interested in the Desert Tactical for a long time but would like one with an ABS (or Bettin Guns) carbon fiber wrapped barrel. What contour would I need to order in order to have it compatible?

I think there are going to be a couple(at least one) Smiths building custom barrels for the DT. We should be able to get any caliber we want. I am only interested in the 2 barrels I have coming (308/338) at the moment though.

Ok...I went through this (barrel/caliber swaps). Here is what you need to do:

Buy a barrel extension from DTA.
Ask Melissa for the barrel CAD drawings
email/fax those drawings to your favorite barrel maker
If they give you a "no problem" send them the barrel extension and a bolt (so they can properly set the head space.

You now have a custom barrel for your SRS. The barrel extension uses standard Remmy 700 threads so it really should be a simple thing for any competent barrel maker/smith.

In fact Pac Nor has a copy of the drawings that I supplied them with.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hydro556</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ELLINGTON</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mellissa said my rifle should be shipped this week. </div></div>

Good to hear, seems like they are shipping quite a few now. Post pics when you get it. What did you order exactly? </div></div>

I ordered the chassis,bolts and barrel exts. from DTA.But I wanted a 260 and a 7wsm barrel so I purchased Broughton barrels from Freedom Gunworks {DTA Premier Dealer}that will slide right in. If I would have not seen this rifle in person at the Shot Show and how it works I would be skeptical also. You need to see one and handle it to appreciate it.
http://www.freedomgunworks.com/freedom-gunworks/barrel-conversions/cat_33.html

Finally got to the range today. Received my 338LM conversion, optics mount and cleaning kit from DT. Every looked great and I pulled the 308 and swapped in the 338LM. Took about a minute or so.

After loading my first 36 rounds of 338LM, 12 rounds each in half grain increments, I loaded up and went to the range.

Looking down the bore, I got the PMII on smallish paper with the first shot. After 2 more rounds to establish zero, I shot my first group. Only 3 shots, but they made one large hole. Messed around a bit more and then went to the 300 yard line. I have a couple targets to measure, but the 5 shot groups were under 2 inches.

Needless to say I am pretty happy. The rifle I sold to fund this SRS package was a definite shooter, and I need the SRS to be as well. Given no load development, and shooting well under 1 MOA at 300 within the first 12 shots, I think it is going to be.

Hope to shoot the 308 tomorrow as well as working on developing the loads for my 338. Then I can start working on a dope card.

I also met a hide member at the range, a lefty, and let him try out the rifle. I would say this platform can do what needs to be done for a lefty, no problem. But is not ideal. There needs to be a lefty version eventually. The way the stock is cut for the bolt to travel, creates an uncomfortable cheek rest, at least for the lefty that shot it today.

Here are a few quick pictures.

dtasrs001.jpg

dtasrs002.jpg

dtasrs003.jpg

dtasrs004.jpg

dtasrs005.jpg

dtasrs006.jpg

Just for the hell of it, I put the micrometer to the best of the 2- 5 shot groups I shot at 300 yards. Gross measurement was 1.93" at its largest. So, 1.6" center to center at 300 yards within the first 12 shots fired by me through this thing. Granted, it was from a bench, but it was off the bipod. I am very optimistic about this rig. With some load development, I believe it will exceed DTA's 1/2 MOA guarantee.

Deadly, thanks for the comments.

You know, it wouldnt be difficult to add a comfortable plastic cheekrest for lefty's.

Something that flips up and lays down over the bolt notch cut out of the stock where a lefty puts his cheek. It could be angled at the front so that when you run the bolt it flips it out of the way. Seems like a simple fix to me to make this platform more friendly to the guys who shoot with the wrong hand.