• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

More TACTI-COOL!

Re: More TACTI-COOL!

DSCN0421.JPG

That actually seems like a decent idea, although I don't like the bulky section sitting above the eyepiece. Also, wouldn't work on NF scopes it looks like.

I must be too much of a Noobe cuz I really don't get it. If your scope is properly mounted to the rifle any recticle cant is going to be attributed to the terrain or the way I'm holding the rifle. Do I really care if the recticle is slighty canted as long as the dot or crosshairs are on the target?. Once he's sighted up am I really going to pause and take additional time to correct my orientation, which might make me less stable and allow my target to move, before I fire?

I get it if the recticle is WAY off but do you get in situations where you are trying to take a shot with more than a few degrees of horizontal tilt?

If your rifle is canted at all, the bullet is going to arc away from the target.

When the bullet leaves the barrel, it arcs. The reason for the arc is gravity (obviously). The reason the bullet arrives at the POA is the bullet goes straight up, and then straight down.

If the rifle is canted, this movement has a horizontal vector as well. Gravity will not "correct" this horizontal movement, and the bullet will stray left or right depending on which way the rifle is canted.

Obviously, this has a smaller effect if there is a small degree of cant, and if the target is close. However, I think you would find that even a small degree of cant has a larger effect than you might think.

I understand the physics involved I'm questioning the practicality. I only punch paper so I have no personal experience but the hunters I've been out with can typically keep the recticle straight enough for a good shot without electronics especially if they are standing or kneeling. If the terrain is really bad I've seen them pop out the bipod or find a rest that allows them to get the recticle within a few degrees eyeballing it so they can make the shot quickly. I can't imagine taking the time to get it perfect using the device which is why I asked the question.

Again, not a hunter but trying to understand the practicality of the device.

For example (if my math is right); A cant of 3 degrees on .22LR (1050fps, .130BC) will result in about 6.47" horizontal deviation @ 300yds.

I think it would be pretty hard (for me anyway) to tell if my rifle was within 5 degrees of horizontal. That's why people use cant indicators.

Ah I misunderstood. I would agree, for everyday hunting situations, I don't find it all that practical. To each his own.