• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Mornin' Chucks

hueys66

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2009
OREGON DESERT
Well I finally found some time this morning to get out and check on the chuck piles. I got there and did some glassin and seen a few chucks that appeared to be hanging in the old trees as if someone had already been through and hung em up there to stake there their piles. So I drove around and came back to that spot and come to find out them beggars where up in the tree chewin on the limbs but weren't moving earlier. Appears the numbers are down a bit this year from last :) was able to find some poking around though. Didn't punch em at any distance by any means. The closest was 125yds which ended up givin him a six foot cartwheel and the furthest was only 502yds. All in all a decent couple hours of chuckin. Poked eight and got a few pics for everyone. Hope everyone has a good varmint season!

@ 502 yds

@ 389yds

This one was a great through the scope dispatch @ 417 yds. He ended up doin a four foot cartwheel and then another four feet below the point of impact. You can see where he landed on the rocks and rolled in the hole. If you look close you can see whre the bullet impact is on the upper left rock, that is where he started.

And last but not least "thee old crow bar"

Nice shooting! Never have shot a rock chuck but have shot a lot of prairie dogs. How big do the rock chucks get?

Nice, I kinda wish I wasn't so hard on the ground hogs around here while I was younger. Not much to shoot at on my farm anymore! What's your clambering of choice?

shot 4 rockchucks two mornings ago, there are still 3+ in one spot on my land and probably 2 at the entrance. I usually use the .17hmr for the entrance ones, its close to the neighbors house. the other ones get the 204. I would like to go look around billy chinook for some chucks and see what is available, but i'm always short of time in the summer.