• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

mosin nagant a vintage sniper riffel?

*greenhorn*

Minuteman
Aug 24, 2011
Daytona, Fl
is a Mosin-Nagant considered a sniper rifle? i know they where issue to Russians and they shoot 7.62x51 i believe and are a consistent gun, was talking to guy at Bass Pro Shops and he said they where Russia's sniper rifle,, i thought they where infantry??

Re: mosin nagant a vintage sniper riffel?

Your first mistake was talking to a guy a BPS about guns.

The Mosin-Nagant was originally designed as the standard issue infantry rifle, millions were produced in such a configuration. Certain rifles which shot exceedingly well were given further attention and scoped to be put into use as sniper rifles, however this is the barest fraction of a percentage of the total rifles produced.

Also, it shoots 7.62x54R, not 7.62x51(NATO)

Did you see the Movie enemy at the gates?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you see the Movie enemy at the gates? </div></div>

Isn't that the one with mark whalberg?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyoslvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you see the Movie enemy at the gates? </div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

no your thinking of "tombstone", mark whalberg was a badass at the OK corral

well i didn't believe him not only because he said it was a sniper rifle, he didn't know the difference in 9mm 40 cal or 45, lol thats a story ill leave out for later, i did see enemy at the gates i thought he was using a dragunov

and "hyoslvr" i cant read your post im too distracted what did you say?????

so buying one from BPS for 99.99 isn't a bad thing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VAJayJayPunisher</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hyoslvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1stIDvet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you see the Movie enemy at the gates? </div></div>

grin.gif
</div></div>

no your thinking of "tombstone", mark whalberg was a badass at the OK corral </div></div>

I thought someone would get a kick outa that! LOL
smirk.gif

Wierd question cowboy1878.

Time for some homework on your side re: Russian sniper doctrine in WWII and the tools they used.

Or perhaps go and ask any Eastern Front German vets you can still find.......
wink.gif

The mosin nagant rifle was produced as a sniper rifle in very limited numbers. Not only were they produced in the Soviet Union but also in for instance Finland.

There are many rifles around of which they claim is an original Mosin Nagant sniper rifle. Truth is most are not and if tou can find one (which is very difficult) you will know from the price they ask for it, especially the Finish ones. The real deal will cost you top dollar, the rest is just a re-assembled infantry rifle with a look-a-like scope.

Want to buy a real Mosin Nagant sniper rifle, bring someone with you who can tell the difference...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper Kiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mosin nagant rifle was produced as a sniper rifle in very limited numbers.</div></div>

Wrong. A lot were produced, a lot. Millions were made. Of those, tens and tens of thousands were further "upgraded" to be sniper rifles, usually those that shot very well. However, the rarest "sniper" grade Mosin Nagant is pre-WWI produced, wearing authentic German Zeiss scope. Not too many were produced due to the contract being interrupted at the beginning of the First War.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sniper Kiwi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The mosin nagant rifle was produced as a sniper rifle in very limited numbers. Not only were they produced in the Soviet Union but also in for instance Finland.
</div></div>

Just for clarity....the Russians recommended that the 1891/30 be adopted for snipers in the first of the 5 Year Plans. production in 1932 is said to have been around 750 units with a total of around 185,000 having been produced by the end of production in 1947. Production peaked at just over 53,000 units in 1942.

The Moisin sniper rifles remained in the Soviet inventory for many years after this date.

The Finnsish variants (the M28-30 using scopes by Zeiss, Hensoldt and Busch and M39 fitted with the Ajacks M43 scope and later Vaisla scope and also the M39 SOV with PU and VT scopes are much rarer and probably number less than 1000 units produced in total.

The Czechs also produced Moisin based sniper rifles.

I am not aware of any other country involved in WW2 that produced such volumes of sniper rifles.

Most sniper rifles of this period could be described as having been "re-assembled" - Mausers, Springfields, Enfields, Moisin were all standard issue military rifles that were then picked for conversion to sniper usage based on proven sccuracy when tested.

Dedicated sniper rifles are a fairly recent concept.

But yes, you are correct there are a large number of deliberate "fakes" and honest "replicas" around now.

You need to know what you are looking at/for if you intend to buy an original - and probably have deep pockets too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so buying one from BPS for 99.99 isn't a bad thing</div></div>

Not a bad thing at all. As long as you know what you are getting. The $99 guns that they sell at BPS and Big 5 sporting goods etc are NOT collectors. They are just cheap mass produced rifles. But they are fun as heck to shoot and ammo is dirt cheap! They are also great for customizing and sporterizing etc. There is a decent selection of aftermarket parts for them (some of it is cheap crap though).
Here is a link to the other recent MOSIN thread, there are a few pics in there. I posted a pic of the one I built.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2701817#Post2701817

There are several types of 91/30 sniper rifle. The change was either how the scope was mounted or the type of optics used. Early rifles had a scope mount that wraps over the reciever. The later mounts to a bracket installed to the left side. A true Sniper rifle will have a boxed CH stamped on the barrel just foward of the reciever and most times on the right side above the wood. The "h" in the CH looks more like a "n". I believe tranlated from Russian to English it is a CA and the Russian abreviation for Sniper.

Here's a link with a quick outline of the riles history.
http://www.snipercentral.com/mosin.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Cowboy1978</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is a Mosin-Nagant considered a sniper rifle? i know they where issue to Russians and they shoot 7.62x51 i believe and are a consistent gun, was talking to guy at Bass Pro Shops and he said they where Russia's sniper rifle,, i thought they where infantry?? </div></div>

Mosins are chambered in 7.62x54r (rimmed, not Russian). I found my Mosin sniper on a rack at a local gun shop for <$100, of course it didn't have a scope or mount. But it could be seen it had one in the past as the holes were still visible inside the reciever and where the wood was patched was clearly evident, as were the markings. They are out there, just gotta take your time and find one.

Quality ammo is pretty hard to find, but dies and brass are availible. You would need to get the barrel inside diameter checked to find out the bullet size, Mosin's vary a lot.

Classic Arms does sell stripped recievers and new heavy barrels, might want to consider a build

Well, when the Russians were making the 91/30, each rifle was tested and when they tested one that would shoot a three shot group of less than 30mm, they would convert it to a sniper rifle. I have a 91/30, that I just shot again today to test some different bullet weights, and found that it really likes 174 grain FMJ. I was able to shoot a 2" five shot group at 100 yards, with the iron sights. (from a bench rest) Sniper or not, I'm happy!
grin.gif

Only two factories (Tula and Ishesvesk) produced 91/30 PU snipers rifles during the great patriotic war. There were actual batches of rifles that were meant to be sniper rifles. If the sniper rifle did not shoot to specs, they were given a straight bolt and their holes filled as well as the sniper stock number (separate from the rifle serial number) were crossed out. Alot of ex-snipers were sold off and if you know what to look for you can get an ex-sniper rifle and have it stored to it's former glory. But keep in mind that it is a former sniper and not a current sniper rifle. Lots of people make that distinction and some shady ones do not. RGuns.net are selling actual 91/30 surplused PU snipers for $800 plus shipping to give you a price point.