• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mosin nagant m-44 stock finish

Islas82

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 18, 2019
North Las Vegas
So I picked up a M44 from a friend the other day, unfortunately he thought it would be a good idea to spray paint the stock black and now I would like to remove the paint and refinish it. Any advice on how I should do it safely? Obviously I dont care too much for the original finish since I will be redoing it, just some advice on how to remove the paint.

thanks

Can't be exceptionally different than doing an M1 Garand or M1 Carbine stock... full disassembly, paint stripper, wash (with hot water), dry and refinish.
I admit there are some pretty extreme-sounding techniques, but they do work. I even had to put my carbine stock in the dishwasher to get all the oil and grease out.
Old-school hardwood stocks are pretty forgiving... not even any bedding to worry about.
garandgear.com and m1-garand-rifle.com have nice pictorial guides.

Reactions: Islas82
Can't be exceptionally different than doing an M1 Garand or M1 Carbine stock... full disassembly, paint stripper, wash (with hot water), dry and refinish.
I admit there are some pretty extreme-sounding techniques, but they do work. I even had to put my carbine stock in the dishwasher to get all the oil and grease out.
Old-school hardwood stocks are pretty forgiving... not even any bedding to worry about.
garandgear.com and m1-garand-rifle.com have nice pictorial guides.
Yes sir, I did just that minus the dishwasher. Stock is nicely refinished now drying in the garage. Thank you.

Shellac was the original finish if you're interested in recreating it. Tung oil & boiled linseed oil are/were popular for the timeframe, too, and don't flake/scratch like Shellac/varnish. BLO will darken the wood, tung oil is a little better about keeping blondes blonde.

Stripped that ugly orange shalak off my M44. Tried to go back with linseed oil but the wood was too hard to take it so I camo painted it.
20160318_201454.jpg
20160319_125927.jpg
20160905_173223.jpg
20160905_174908.jpg
20161008_121512.jpg

Reactions: Islas82