• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mosin Nagant M9130 Ex-Sniper Rifle ?

paul6892

paul6892
Minuteman
Sep 4, 2013
Ocean Springs, Mississippi
Greetings everyone, I'm a newbie here and have just recently started acquiring and learning about Mosin Nagants. At the present time I have;

1. M9130 Izhevsk, 1934 Hex receiver
2. M38 Izhevsk, 1943 Round receiver
3. M44 Izhevsk, 1945 Round receiver

All of the above Rifle and Carbines are in very good condition with bright bores with well defined rifling (lands and groves). I have learned that there is a lot of cleaning and removal of Cosmoline involved!

I also did the "Trigger Fix" and added the slack take up spring and polished the trigger components and replaced the OEM firing pin spring with the weaker spring. Also replaced the metal stock butt plate with a rubber one. Finally I did a complete "Head Space" Check and Go, NoGo and Field all passed.

Last week I took the M38 to the firing range expended 40 rounds and zeroed the iron sights on target, it's a great weapon to fire, I like it !

I just acquired a M9130 Izhevsk, 1944 Round receiver, X-Sniper rifle ? with two threaded holes and two pin holes in the receiver and the stock is cut out for the PU Scope mount. I obtained the Russian, PU Scope as a separate item and just finished mounting and levelling the mount/scope.
It has the following marks on the receiver; to the left of the Soviet Union Crest is a circle with a y inside and to the right is a letter C. The Receiver has a fine smooth finish and on the left of the receiver near the scope mount is another letter C.

Looking forward to finishing this project, "Boresighting" the Scope and putting some rounds down range.

Now my question; Is my M9130 Izhevsk, 1944 Round receiver Mosin Nagant a genuine Sniper Rifle ?

I have been told the Rifle I bought from SAMCO, which has the holes/pins and stock cut out is not a genuine true Sniper Rifle but a knock off and the PU Scope I bought from Russia on Ebay is a reproduction ?

What do you all think and how can I tell for sure ?

Welcome to the Hide. It is a great resource with many very knowledgable and helpful members, time spent here is usually time well spent!

Maybe if you can post some pics of the "fake" it might help?

The SAMCO scope-less snipers are, to my knowledge, original snipers. I'll need pictures to tell whether the scope is genuine. The Ch or CN marks were not used to designate Izhevsk snipers as they were on Tula produced snipers. Most Izhevsk snipers did have the scope number stamped in the right side of the barrel just forward of where it screws into the receiver.

Just for visual reference, the first is a repro scope, the second is original. Note the flat screw heads on the repro and the round ones on the original.

Attachments

• 402034437.jpg
    402034437.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 39
  • 403755596.jpg
    403755596.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 51
Here's an example of an Izzy ex-sniper's barrel shank.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 76
What Devious said, except the scope number is on the left side of the barrel shank, as shown by aur0ra145. It's also possible for an "ex-sniper" to have had the scope number removed, stamped over, or lined out and then another number added (I think I've seen Izhevsk snipers with remnants of as many as three different scope numbers). However, most of the rifles from Samco are usually referred to as "scopeless", instead of "Ex" snipers. This is kind of a technicality conjured up by collectors to differentiate between two different scenarios. A "Scopeless" sniper would still have the original holes open, whereas what is usually referred to as an "ex-sniper" would have had the holes welded over with the ends of the screws/pins still in place. The Soviets returned many sniper rifles to "standard" rifle status by doing this and replacing their bent bolts with straight ones. The Samco "scopeless" rifles were obtained from Yugoslavia, where they didn't weld over them. Now, if you're not confused already, I'll go on to tell you that Samco has also had some "ex-snipers" with welded holes. So, not all of the snipers from them are the Yugo scopeless rifles.

I have a '44 Izhevsk PU that was a Samco scopeless rifle. I located a scope from the same serial lot as the number stamped on the rifle, from a guy in Poland and an original Izhevsk mount/base from another gentleman in Russia. It's proven to be an excellent shooter with the most amazing trigger you'll find on a Mosin (it seems that most of the Yugo rifles had work done to their triggers/bolts, so most of the Samco scopeless rifles carry this trait). I used this rifle to take second place in a vintage sniper match, earlier this summer.

Welcome aboard and to your new habit. ;)

John

Edit to add: The "C" stamp found on receivers of some Izhevsk snipers is thought to be an indicator of sniper selection/production. However, there's no final word on that and the fact that they don't all have it and that there are some "standard" rifles that do, would throw a wrench in the works. However, to be fair, there are also Tula snipers that do not have the "Cn/CH" proofs which were snipers and some that were stamped with those proofs that were never drilled/tapped for a scope. Hard to say for sure exactly why this is.

Last edited:
Scope-less Samco

However, most of the rifles from Samco are usually referred to as "scopeless",

Joop - would i want to order one of the 2hole/2 pin or 4 hole models from Samco to mount a PU optic?