• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mosin Nagant

Re: Mosin Nagant

Before I write 3-5 pages on the MN91/30 what are you looking for?

With a CR license I get them delivered for $85 including the hand-pick fee.

Pay the "hand-pick" fee if you are going to buy one.

I like mine for what it is. an antique that's cheap to own and shoot. They have their issues but nothing major and a lot of people hunt with them. By the way Timney makes a trigger for them now.

I love mine shoot it all the time. Sand off the rough machining on the trigger with some 400 grit wet/dry sandpaper, sand out the barrel channel to free float the barrel and shoot the crap out of it. Also did my first bedding job on it for practice. Figured worst case senerio I ruin a $100 rifle. Came out good.

They're sold out now...
I bought one, then another the following day.
From what I understand, being WWII surplus it's obviously a hit or miss proposition. The Finnish ones are supposed to be the best, but the M91/30's can be a decent find.

First one I bought as a Xmas gift for my 13 year old, he's into eastern european and Soviet military rifles. Got his AK 5 months ago, outfitted it with a period correct 4x POSP scope, and he'll get 3 moa groups pretty consistently with it. Right now I'm researching the period-correct scopes for them, I know they were basically iron sighted rifles but I think some were outfitted with PU scopes.

Second one I bought for myself...I'm going to wait and see what condition it's in and whether it's any type of shooter. IF I get lucky, and it turns out to be capable of 2 moa or better, I may sink some money into it for a high-power scope, maybe an aftermarket stock, trigger, etc. for a hunting rifle. In the same class as the 30-06, it's capable of dropping anything that lives in the U.S. Who knows, maybe even some long-range steel shooting.

I'd also be interested in knowing if anyone has been fortunate enough to get one that shoots that well, and what types of mods are available/recommended. I know ATI makes a rail conversion mount complete with a new angled bolt for mounting a scope.

I've read there are some inconsistencies with bore diameter that need to be verified before selecting bullets for reloading. Can anyone comment on this?

The cheap commie ammo in 7.62 x 54R is readily available like the 7.62 x 39 for the AK's.

I had one that was a 1.5-2MOA gun with irons and using brown bear ammo. They can be made into good shooters with hand loads. Got a buddy at work that reloads for 3 of his and each use different sized rounds kind of a strange beast. I had a Tula and wish I had never sold it.

Good luck,
Merritt

Mines a Tula Hex. Haven't shot past 400 with the iron sights, but pretty much if you can see it you can hit it.
Ammo is available cheap at almost any gun show or online. I found it cheap one weekend, bought 3600 rounds at about .10 each. Bulgarian 180gr's

nothing wrong with nagants-i have three, and they all shoot actually pretty decent. my finnish one is obviously the nicest, but i have 2 polish carbines that are outstanding as well. for the price, they are definitely fun to own.

the finnish nagant is every bit as accurate as my yugo mauser and my no.4 mk1 enfield.

AIM Surplus has them for $69.95. An additional $10 if you want them to hand pick one for you. At that price, why not?

I have 3 nagants. Recently sporterized one. They are good shooters. Ammo is plentiful and cheap.