• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mosin Scopes on ebay

MAT4-82

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 24, 2011
CA
Anyone shed light on the quality of the Mosin scopes from UK or Russia on ebay. I am totally ignorant in this area but some of the recent threads have got me interested.
Lots of listings and pretty complete but are they decent or faked copies?

If you have one in mind post a pic and I can tell you what it is. Pictures of the markings and turret will help. Anything with Ny as a prefix is a repro. Any repro will always be worth repro price.

If you are considering a PU, under todays market, buy a complete refurbished PU rifle and you will be better off. I have seen some nice ones recently under $500. If you want a PEM or PE that is gonna get pricey but worth the money easily. Good luck.

If you have one in mind post a pic and I can tell you what it is. Pictures of the markings and turret will help. Anything with Ny as a prefix is a repro. Any repro will always be worth repro price.

If you are considering a PU, under todays market, buy a complete refurbished PU rifle and you will be better off. I have seen some nice ones recently under $500. If you want a PEM or PE that is gonna get pricey but worth the money easily. Good luck.

Thanks Mike, I was looking around for a complete rifle. Heard about the $5-600 ones from AIM but was a bit late. Only ones I can find now are from Rguns at $800 and the description there vs what I read of the AIM lot is a lot less desirable sounding for $2-300 more.
On the other hand there are a lot of non sniper rifles very cheap. I just want a shooter so was looking at the scope setups as an alternative. Hell I can bend a bolt handle and drill and tap. original would be nicer but I get the impression from the Rguns site that its pay your $ and take your chances

Are you a member at gunboards? Several hundred folks have bought a PU in the last 2 years. At least once a week one comes up for sale on the trader there. A member is the guy who bought the lastest 1000ish imports. I think there are more to come via AIM, Classic, somebody. Getting a complete rifle for $500ish should be easy on the trader. So many have over-bought or just had situations causing sale. Do not fear the common 43 Izhevsk as they often will shot as good as any. Financially speaking scoping a Mosin will usually be a looser, ex-PU or non-PU. The scope, mount, base, screws, etc. will typically top $450 or more and you will have a resniper or replica depending on what you do. Good luck.

Are you a member at gunboards? Several hundred folks have bought a PU in the last 2 years. At least once a week one comes up for sale on the trader there. A member is the guy who bought the lastest 1000ish imports. I think there are more to come via AIM, Classic, somebody. Getting a complete rifle for $500ish should be easy on the trader. So many have over-bought or just had situations causing sale. Do not fear the common 43 Izhevsk as they often will shot as good as any. Financially speaking scoping a Mosin will usually be a looser, ex-PU or non-PU. The scope, mount, base, screws, etc. will typically top $450 or more and you will have a resniper or replica depending on what you do. Good luck.

Thanks a lot Mike thats all good info. Yes I'm on over there also so I'll take your advise.

Check out the rifle Wideners is offering, hell of a good price!

Russian 91/30 Sniper
RIFLES ARE LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE!

All Numbers Matching!

Includes Scope, Scope Mount, Bayonet, Ammo Pouch, Tool Sack, Cleaning Rod Attachments and Crown Cap

Round Receivers

Here's what we know about this incredible lot of Mosin Nagant M91/30 sniper rifles;

They are M91/30 Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R 5 shot turn-down bolt action rifles made in different factories from 1939 to mid 1940's. They come with an authentic M91 PU sniper scope and an assortment of accessories including an bayonet, ammo pouch, sling, punch (rod handle), crown protector (cap) when cleaning, tool pouch, rod connector, bolt tool, jag and original oil can. The scope was manufactured in 2009 and appears to be brand new

These rifles were reproduced in a Russian factory in the 2000's and packed 20 per crate. They were NOT put together in the US by an importer. ALL SERIAL NUMBERS MATCH. The Russian factory packing list comes with each rifle. The scopes were manufactured and paired with a rifle by the russian factory. The scope has two serial numbers. The one on top is the scope serial number and the one put on the side shows which rifle the scope was originally paired with (matches the rifle you are purchasing). The quality of the rifle is excellent. The wood is excellent and in perfect shape with only the occasional ding. The bores are bright and shiny.

There seems to be some confusion on whether these rifles are original PU sniper rifles. These are NOT Original sniper rifles from the factories from 1940s. Originals generally fetch $1000+ on the open market from our understanding. These are QUALITY russian reproductions from the 2000's and are in excellent shape.

If you have an ex-sniper that shoots, and can get ahold of an original PU scope the only real PITA part to find is the mount. I have a 91/30 ex sniper with the welded receiver and an original PU scope but had to get a repro done by Accumounts as I wasn't able to ever find a complete mount or a complete mount that wasn't a crazy price due to how uncommon they seem to be.

The real catch as mentioned above is getting someone that knows what they are doing reinstall a mount on the welded receiver and set everything up. I remember when I managed to get the ex sniper and was excited about the project, bought 1000s of 54R rounds, got the optic, mount.....and its been sitting together in my closet for years now. I need to finally get this done, but another $500-600 for the gunsmithing work is holding me off.

I was really fired up about the Wideners link.

Then I took another look at several PU rifle images and realized that the optical axis was too high to even use a chin weld.

Thinking more on the subject, I recalled that the 91/30 scout scoped project I performed provides a minimal height optical axis, retains stripper clip loading capacity, and with the 2-7x scope provides better optical magnification and still maintains an overall cost, rifle and all, of around $200. To top it off, every aspect of the original rifle remains restorable, since no parts are modified.

I dig the artifact cache, but I have other, maybe better, uses for $500 or more. I'm a shooter, not a collector.

Greg

Last edited:
That would be perfect and thanks for the info except Widners will not ship them to 01 FFLs in CA and 03 C&Rs are prohibited from reselling as of 1-1-14 in the wonderful PRC!

Check out the rifle Wideners is offering, hell of a good price!

Russian 91/30 Sniper
RIFLES ARE LISTED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE!

All Numbers Matching!

Includes Scope, Scope Mount, Bayonet, Ammo Pouch, Tool Sack, Cleaning Rod Attachments and Crown Cap

Round Receivers

Here's what we know about this incredible lot of Mosin Nagant M91/30 sniper rifles;

They are M91/30 Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R 5 shot turn-down bolt action rifles made in different factories from 1939 to mid 1940's. They come with an authentic M91 PU sniper scope and an assortment of accessories including an bayonet, ammo pouch, sling, punch (rod handle), crown protector (cap) when cleaning, tool pouch, rod connector, bolt tool, jag and original oil can. The scope was manufactured in 2009 and appears to be brand new

These rifles were reproduced in a Russian factory in the 2000's and packed 20 per crate. They were NOT put together in the US by an importer. ALL SERIAL NUMBERS MATCH. The Russian factory packing list comes with each rifle. The scopes were manufactured and paired with a rifle by the russian factory. The scope has two serial numbers. The one on top is the scope serial number and the one put on the side shows which rifle the scope was originally paired with (matches the rifle you are purchasing). The quality of the rifle is excellent. The wood is excellent and in perfect shape with only the occasional ding. The bores are bright and shiny.

There seems to be some confusion on whether these rifles are original PU sniper rifles. These are NOT Original sniper rifles from the factories from 1940s. Originals generally fetch $1000+ on the open market from our understanding. These are QUALITY russian reproductions from the 2000's and are in excellent shape.

That would be perfect and thanks for the info except Widners will not ship them to 01 FFLs in CA and 03 C&Rs are prohibited from reselling as of 1-1-14 in the wonderful PRC!

You do not want a Widners replica anyway IMO. For just a bit more you can get a real refurbed PU. Word is that some will soon be available from AIM.

You CA folks need to get the NRA and your state origaniization to get behind a legal action to overturn this BS. The Federal law, like the C&R, have pre-emption, the Supremcy Clause. The Federal constitution trumps the state law. Collect your funds and get behind a suit to overturn this over-reach of power. With the current US Sup. Ct., it should prevail. Do it soon before another appointee.

Last edited:
I agree about CA but in this case Widners will not ship to an 01 FFL an 03 yes. Here is where CA steps in saying all rifles must go thru a 01 so an 03 can't pick one up for me.
Is AIM going to be any different?
Have you heard anything bad about these?

You do not want a Widners replica anyway IMO. For just a bit more you can get a real refurbed PU. Word is that some will soon be available from AIM.

You CA folks need to get the NRA and your state origaniization to get behind a legal action to overturn this BS. The Federal law, like the C&R, have pre-emption, the Supremcy Clause. The Federal constitution trumps the state law. Collect your funds and get behind a suit to overturn this over-reach of power. With the current US Sup. Ct., it should prevail. Do it soon or the King may get another appointee.
Your statement is "what it should be", not "what it is". Best example: Pot legalization in various states, it appears federal law does not trump those states, there are numerous examples, but we'd be running into political statements, they are banned (and will get you banned) from this site. I am in no way connected to Wideners (although I have purchased from them many times), but their [Wideners] deal is for the entire package to include the rifle etc.. What kind of price is AIM going to be offering? How old are these scopes? Are these Soviet era, or post-Soviet?

Check AIM often as they do have specials, currently $550. No way will a replica ever hold its value like a correct refurb. The examples so far have been nice, correct, Soviet era refurbished PUs in documented serial blocks with WW2 era scopes and mounts. Other venders have them too, like RT. No plug for any business per say, just a fact of where correct refurbished PUs can be found.

Your statement is "what it should be", not "what it is". Best example: Pot legalization in various states, it appears federal law does not trump those states, there are numerous examples, but we'd be running into political statements, they are banned (and will get you banned) from this site.

Fed law does preempt in the case of pot. The Feds could still bust you for pot in a state where it is legal.

And some people are going to be in shock when they do things like renew or apply for clearances. Or the military.

Or even buy a firearm. IIRC, it is question 11e on the 4473.

Thanks to all who responded. I went another way and ordered a 41B swede.

Classy rifle, right there.

I like them all but was looking at ammo availability so thought the PU would be a good place to get my feet wet in the Vintage matches. Plus give me a good loaner for friends.
But right off the hassle with widners so I ordered the swede from Samco. I'll post a pic when it all comes together.
Probably still get a PU but now no hurry.
The responses to this post were educational so again thanks to all.