• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mosin sniper value

Bob7608

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2012
TX
At my
Local gun shop found two mosin sniper models with scope. one a 1931 year with a 15XX serial number and another was a 1942 model 16XX or so model. Both going for 579 a piece. Both appear to be in 95% good shaped and both have the import mark on them. Which one would be worth more at face value. I'm not an expert on mosins

Re: Mosin sniper value

I can almost guarantee you that those are "repro" snipers. They were/are available at some vendors for much less than that price.

There were some very nice repros recently sold at AIM surplus. The ones at AIM were that same price, http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a....62x54R+Mosin+Nagant+Sniper+Rifle&groupid=254

So I do not see him selling AIM repros at the same cost he paid for them.

You did not mention if they were izhevsk mosins, as real izhevsk snipers will have an additional serial number along the side of the receiver.

If you want a real Mosin sniper, one cam still be had at Rguns http://www.rguns.net/rifles/rifles-bolt.shtml, they go for $800.

Sorry, I had to.

QQ2l1.jpg

CBM I lol'ed. Which side of the receiver are the additional numbers on?

Should be on the left side, the additional serial should match the scope. The AIM repros do have the matching serial and seem to be a very quality reproduction http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=6277&start=40

and if he is selling them for the same price as online, that is a pretty nice deal. Even as a repro, the value will not go down. Just that for an additional $200 you can get a real sniper.

The repros came about because there was a market for them . Heck you can get an Izzy round Mosin for $70 online (c&r guys can), and usually in the crates there are a few "ex-snipers" , take that ex sniper, throw a PU scope on it and you have a $500 rifle.

Now some folks threw together some repros, but not as nice as the AIM, they will have different scope markings, and a an aluminum stamped scope mount (no markings, no mill marks). I would stay away from them, because for the cost you can have a smith build you a more authentic looking Mosin.

Personally, if I was to build/buy a repro it would be a Tula PE sniper.

The AIM guns are not repros. They are the real thing, although refurbished.

The Century repros, which are most likely the subject of this thread, are available from SOG at $379 and sometimes as cheap as $359.

I agree, the AIM PU snipers are not reproductions but are refurbished WWII snipers. As such parts have been swapped from other rifles but the rifle did start life as a sniper. I got to shoot a couple the AIM rifles two weeks ago that belong to a fellow Hide Member. One was a Tula the other an Izhevzks. both rifles were in good condition and showed the usual like new reblue and parts you see on the recent 91/30 imports. The OP's rifles I would bet are SOG reproductions as the PU sniper did not exsist until 1942 so the 1931 dated rifle is not correct.

Izhevsk made PU Sniper rifles were marked with the scope serial number along the left side of the barrel just ahead of the receiver at the woodline. Often the original scope was damaged and the barrel number was lined out with the subsequent scope serial number stamped above the original. I've seen a rifle with three subsequent numbers stampted...

Tula normally etched the scope serial number on the mount... and didn't mark the rifle as did Izhevsk. There are apparently some exceptions to this rule with Tula according to Vic Thomas.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tula normally etched the scope serial number on the mount... </div></div>

Actually, Tula would usually stamp the rifle's serial number on the mount, but not the scope's serial. I've never seen a Tula PU mount that did not have it and the mounts with the scope numbers EP'd on them have all been refurbs, in my experience. The same would hold true for Tula PUs with the scope's number on the barrel shank. All appear to have been refurbished at some point and it's believed that they were added then, but not originally put there at the factory.

You are correct... my bad. It is the rifle SN on the mount on a Tula. I think my confusion is seeing both the rifle SN stamped and scope SN in EP on the same mount recently. A verified refurb...