• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

scott1119

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2007
London, ky
I have a mosin Nagant carbine, mY question is can I get it rechambered to a differant cal. If so what cal. could I get and who do you recommend to do it?????

Re: Mosin

It has been done, but why you would put money into a mosin is beyond me. It's just not a precision platform.

I'd keep it as is since it's pretty much the most rugged thing out there as it is. Use it as a plinker or a truck gun, and pick up something else to customize.

Large ring mauser 98 actions are great cheap starting points. Aftermarket versions are great too: Charles Daly mausers, interarms mark x, CZ actions, rem 798, etc.

Cruise your local pawn shops and keep your eyes out for a cheap rem 700 (or the older 721/722 versions), mauser 98 variants, winchester model 70's (with claw extractor), or possibly even 1903 springfields. All these would be a better starting point than a mosin, IMHO.

good luck!

Re: Mosin

For SnG's my dad and I built a Mosin into a 22-250 and a 44 mag and he's doing a gunsmithing article on turning them into 45-70's.

The MN91/30's are incredibly strong actions. That M44 you have is a .310-.314 bore and it won't have the meat in the barrel to lop off the chamber and cut it back into something else. You'll end up having to rebarrel it.

It is an excellent truck gun as it stands, and many will be surprised how well they shoot if you put about $10 worth of epoxy and a couple hours of care into them.

The MUCH better solution to build a very good rifle on is the Mauser 98 action. I've built a number of rifles on surplus 98 actions, including (again for SnG's) an 18" barreled 9x19 which would shoot factory pistol 115gr ammo about 2000 fps.

The 98 uses a standard .473 bolt face, controlled feed and there's LOTS of aftermarket parts out there for them. A good, custom mauser is a rifle to be proud of. My 30-06 is built off a mauser and it shoots just as well or better than a lot of 700 based builds that I've been around.

I am getting pictures together to sell a couple of 98's right now, if you're interested I'll make you a deal on one to use for a donor rifle.