• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mossberg 44 accuracy

JMC

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2007
Wisconsin
The local gun shop has one of these for sale. It's in pretty decent shape and the price seems to be reasonable. It comes with the peep sights installed on it and and the reciever is grooved (3/8"?) so I could put a scope on it. I'm not sure if there are more models or not but it comes with a magazine that looks to be about 7 rounds.

My question is what are these actually worth and more important how well do they shoot? I've got a Ruger 77/22 sporter barrel and I was hoping for something that would be more accurate than that one is. My Ruger gets down to around 1-1.5" at 50 yards for 5 shot groups an I've got a little more ammo testing to do to see if I can bring that down a little bit more yet. I've managed a few 5 shot groups under 2" at 100 yards but most are a little over 2" and closer to 2.5-3" at 100 yards.

Will the Mossberg beat that or should I just stick with the Ruger?

Thanks all.
JMC

Re: Mossberg 44 accuracy

I figure Ill give my 2 cents. I have a really nice Mossberg 44 U.S. I only use the peep sights though. Shooting prone supported with a rear bag I shoot four to six inch groups at 100 yards. I might be able to make those groups smaller by adding an optic and shooting it more, but its just fine as it is. If the price is right, pick it up. If anything, you'll have a piece of history.

Do some research here, these guys live for mossbergs...
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=51

Thanks, I'll have to do some reading and see what I can learn about it.

I have a CMP Mossberg M44 and its a great gun and one I will pass on to my son and him to his but its a 60 year old gun and should be treated as such. My gun won many online iron sight matches over at cal guns before I retired it for a CMP Kimber 82g. While you could mount a scope on a M44 there are other guns out there that could be used in its stead. Buy the M44 if its offered for a good price and wait to find another rifle to scope.

The M-44 was intended as a military training/practice rifle in the days when the main battle rifles were the Springfield and Garand.

I really don't believe the intention was for the .22 to be significantly more accurate (in MOA) than the battle rifles.

They may have been used in matches, but I'd stop just short of calling them match rifles.

I find that my M-1 and M-44 shoot to a reasonably similar MOA within their respective intended distances, iron sights both. 50ft to 100yd, 100yd to 500yd. I love them both, mainly as treasured heirlooms from a simpler age.

Greg

I've shot cleans on the 50 yard NRA Smallbore target with one from position with the stock irons and decent ammo, so they can shoot. Not sure if the one you are looking at does, but good chance it does.