• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Mossberg 500 accessories advice required.

TBM

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2007
London, Good old Blighty
I have a stock 500, 8 shot, 24" cylinder bore barrel with rifle sights.

It's going to be used for practical/combat style courses of fire.

It requires pimping up, so any advice welcome. Now I can't have folding stocks as it becomes a prohibited weapon in the UK, nor can I reduce the barrel length.

However I'm thinking of maybe a red dot, and a pistol grip stock. What accessories and kit are you guys using that works? Figure you lads will have plenty more practical experience than I have in this area!

Don't want to waste time buying something from the states, getting it here and realising it is not up to the job.

Cheers

Re: Mossberg 500 accessories advice required.

Can you reduce the stock length or put a pistol grip stock on it? I have a pistol-grip foregrip on mine that helps too. I had a "copstock" for about an hour before I got rid of it, I didn't like the way it felt on recoil.

You can have the full size stock with a pistol grip like this which I am considering but don't know who is offering a good quality one:-

buttstock_and_pistol_grip.jpg

But not one like this:-

hogupic08714-01.jpg

Unless you put a comically long barrel on it to bring it up to the minimum length of 40" overall. If it comes in under that length, it automatically becomes a section 5 weapon (prohibited to pretty much any civilian in the UK) and qualifies me for a mandatory stay in the big house for 5 years.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Most if not all the pistol gripped stocks for the 500 suck.</span> The regular sporting stock is the best choice. As far as sights go, bushnell and a few other mfg's make red dots for shotguns.

Now that's the info I need to know, don't want to make a pointless purchase. What makes the pistol gripped stocks no good?

And who makes a decent sporter stock, preferably with some sort of recoil damping?

Top man, anyone got any experience with that type of stock?

Like that light rail, purchase #1 found!

I have the ATI stock on both my 500 and 870. I also have the shell holder on my 500 collapsible and a receiver mount on my 870. A three point sling and fiber optic beads on both.

When I find a pair of cojones ( a little Spanish lingo...)I'll attempt to solder front sights on the barrel. The Mossy is drilled for rear mounts. The Rem., I'll have to drill; again, the cojones thing!

Are you allowed the m4 type rear stock in Jolly old England?

I find mine are durable enough but I won't be butt stroking anyone without plans for a new one!

If I were going to get a pistol grip stock, it would be a Choate Tool and Die. I used to have a shortened poly sport stock that worked really well. If you aren't going to worry about using it to butt-stroke somebody to the head, I guess the collapsable will do. You might think about porting the barrel too. I don't really notice much difference in recoil, but it sure makes it louder, and more impressive during night fire.

I have a side-saddle, a side folding stock, and a verticle foregrip, as well as a heat shield, and ghost ring sights. It's a house-gun, and I don't use it for competition. Since you can't shortenthe barrel, you might want to consider screw-in choke tubes.

Having now found the Picatinny rails (purchase #2) I'm sensing the acquisition of maybe an Eotech may be an interesting sight to throw on top. Why the hell do they make so many different types?!

My hand isn’t steady enough for any drilling work and I lack the proper kit, good luck with that as I just wouldn’t trust myself!

The M4 stock should be no problem as long as when it's collapsed it doesn't drop below the 40" overall length.

I doubt there will be much butt stroking work, the authorities here really aren't very keen on us doing that sort of thing!

One option I do have is that I can cut the barrel back a bit and permanently affix a brake or standoff device (not that it would be used!) bringing the length back up to a 24" barrel.

I like those side-saddles, that looks like purchase #3.

Decent sling and swivels, any advice?

Knew I could rely on you guys to point out the good kit!

I made my front sling swivel on a mill machine, I'll try to get some pics up. You can make them with a drill press a good set of files, a tap and die set, and a lot of elbow grease, but I'm getting lazy in my old age.
grin.gif

UTG sells a decent set that clamps the barrel and mag-tube together. I wouldn't reccomend them for rough field use, but if you're not dragging it through the bush, they ought to be ok. Leapers owns UTG, and they have some neat ieas, but most of the time they use "This Week's Metal" for material, so uality is hit or miss. I have access to a shop, so I get ideas from all of the catalogs, and make a lot of my own stuff out of the materials I trust.

Manager,

Have a look at Brownell's and Midway's websites. The shotgun stuff is even more mind boggling than the tease Switch provided!
http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/cid=1/Products/Shotgun_Parts

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseCategories.aspx?

Cheaper than dirt also has some of the stuff you seek.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/

As to drilling and tapping, I would clamp it up and use my drill press but the prep is key and learning curve issues rear their ugly heads when proceeding too hastily! As you know...

Yeah, when making parts, patience is a virtue. When I was young I wasted a lot of tool stock by getting in too much of a hurry to finish so I could go play with whatever I was working on.
grin.gif
Still nothing is quite as cool than watching your range buddies drool over something you made.

At the rate I'm going, what started out as a cheap practical shotgun will end up costing as much as a Benelli!

Ah well, keeps me occupied.

Thoughts on the Hogue OverMolded stock? I like texture and handling of the one on my 10-22, are they up to 12 gauge work?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Bank Manager</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At the rate I'm going, what started out as a cheap practical shotgun will end up costing as much as a Benelli!

Ah well, keeps me occupied.

</div></div>

I used a similar type of high quality bullshit to convince my wife I'd save money by reloading...AH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH.....

Ahem...Really though, reloading saves money, cough, cough...chortle..

I finally convinced Panty 6 that it was better to but high quality stuff over low by the fact that you replace a low quality object several times(Watches) and a high quality one only hits you once when you buy it. Yes, I can see that Tag Hauer in my future in a couple years

Sell the Mossy and get a BEnelli you will be better off
grin.gif

1. sights - tritium - no batteries, no bull, day or night always there

2. i like the 6 position type collapsible stocks,(great for adjusting for shooting with armour on or heavy clothing, or storing in tight spaces) mine has 3 rounds extra on each side where it mount to the receiver and with a side saddle has 12 rounds on deck w/quick access. there is also an ammo holder that can be mounted to the non cheek side for 16, 17, or 18 rounds on deck plus what you have in the magazine (8 + 18 = 26rnds mix and match!). there is also one that has a picatinny rail built in that cups around the receiver that is attached to the stock a 2 for one value. unless your planning on bashing in someone's face or using the stock to break through sheetrock, collapsible is the way to go. i think it's made by CAA, but i'm not sure check out Promag, ATI, Choate, Mako, Mesa tactical, Knoxx stocks. they even now have a shock absorber kinda thing that goes to what would be the "tube" of the stock for recoil absorbsion. nokick.com

3. picatinny railed forestock for forward grip and lights. get rail covers (utg makes some rubber ones that work fine) to cover exposed rails so you don't get "washboarded"

4. if you have a removeable choke, get a compuchoke i.c., tight groups (5 round head shots) out to 75 +/- yards, freehand. works great with buckshot, shredders, bird bombs and less than lethal rounds

5. dont bother with those heat shields, you'll end up cutting your self with it more than burning yourself with a hot barrel, and it's apain when you want to break the gun down.

6. there's a laser thats available that screw onto the end of your magazine, neat, but not practical.

7. side mounted sling attachment points to hold everything at the ready

8. oversized METAL safety button.

nothing wreaks more havoc than a shotgun with a skilled operator, except for a shotgun with an unskilled operator!

Another stock option with ammo holding is the Speed Feed stock. Holds 4 rounds, 2 on each side (00buck on one side, slugs on the other etc.) with a 6 round side sadle on the reciever you can reload the mag and one in the chamber from the gun itself.

[/quote]

I used a similar type of high quality bullshit to convince my wife I'd save money by reloading...AH HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH.....

Ahem...Really though, reloading saves money, cough, cough...chortle.. [/quote]

Don't get me started on reloading, why the hell is it that I always seem to be missing some item or another when reloading?! The last was a battery in my calliper, I could have sworn blind I had spares. Knew I should have got a dial rather than digital!

I was looking at the LPA ghost ring sights, any good? If I go down that route, I'm guessing I might not bother with an Eotech or similar.

If anyone has some other suggestions I'd be grateful. I see the Mossberg ones are more reasonably priced, do they have Tritium as an option?

I'd not thought about the heat shield, but yeah I can see how that is going to be more of a pain in the arse than it is of use to me.

I doubt I'll make this a cheap build, but I knew I could rely on you guys to steer me away from spending out on things which I'll only have to work out are no use to me in the end.

Cheers for the info all.

The speedfeed, hogue, and mossberg factory stock are the only 3 i would consider. The latter choices, carbine style, collapsing, folding, etc stocks; do not offer a good stockweld conducive to shooting the 12ga. slugs. The regular Hogue, Mossberg factory, and the Speedfeed being the exception to the aftermarket all provide the correct stock/cheekweld that allows for a proper sight picture. Me and my friend just went through this whole ordeal with the aftermarket mossberg stuff over the winter. Everything he bought for it got returned, save for the extra shell saddle. Got him an OEM Mossberg stock off ebay and it was a done deal. The ghost ring sights, heat vent guards, and folding stocks were totally unsuitable for practical usage.

I'm only linking this to show pictures....If you like the collapsible stock, This is as good as it get's! I pieced it together. I think Mesa makes up to an 8 shell holder for extra ammo but Mesa is the shizzle with the stock adapter. Any AR15/M16 Mil spec stock and grip you like will fit. Plus it has attachment points for cup swivels on both sides, Although I had to slightly modify the MOE grip, It was easy.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1227085#Post1227085

i'm not sure if they have tritium sights exclusively, i imagine how popular the mossbergs are they have them. ameriglo, meprolight or trijicon. i yours has rifle sights, i'm sure they do, if not, a gunsmith can drill and tap it or brazen them on for low $.

Thanks for the pointers, will investigate.

Will look to get one of those side saddles too, they seem very simple and practical.

dude, as someone who has taught my share of instruction courses using moss 500's i say no mods required. spend the money on as much 00 buckshot as you can and practice reloading at the point "blind." the only slight addition i like is a easily homemade surefire light mount that can be fashioned from a couple of scope rings and a short piece of rail.

oh and i should add that i once made a laser mount for one that shined a smiley face down range that pretty well matched the pattern out a ways.

I have a good stock of 00 and slug, so practice will be a big feature!

Also picked up a few of the A-Zoom snap caps, very handy to do practice reloads at no cost indoors!

I just picked up Knoxx Compstock for my 835 Mossberg to knock down the recoil and am about to order one of their AR type stocks for my 20" barreled 500, Midway USA has them on sale for $120 US. Don't know if they will fit your 40" min but you can check the specs online.