• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mossberg 500 value??

Strickland

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2003
Mansfield, Texas
I have a chance to buy a Mossberg 500 shotty for $200. It has a pistol grip with folding stock, holds 8 rounds, and has a heat shield?

I'm familiar with a 590. Isnt a 590 just a beefed up version of a 500?

The thing is hardly used.

I'm thinking good deal, but wanted some other opinions.

Re: Mossberg 500 value??

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Also, can you change the pistol grip / folding stock to a regular full size stock? </div></div>

Yep super easy to do too! Will take you about 90 seconds.

Good price for sure. I sold a base model for that.

To me, $200 is a no-brainer. Great shotty with endless accessories. Ive seen them beat up at gunstores for upwards of $320

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: exmr2sw</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To me, $200 is a no-brainer. Great shotty with endless accessories. Ive seen them beat up at gunstores for upwards of $320</div></div>

Sounds like a good deal. A new 500 cost around $270-300 plus tax depending on the model. In the south a used Mossberg or Remington very seldomly will go for more than $200. Way to many around sitting in closets. There's usually a few turned in every year at my department when someone dies and their family cleans out their closets and find granddad's shotgun he cut off even with the pistol grip and the end of the mag tube 60 years ago. Even had a Remington Model 11 turned in that makes Clyde Barrow's look big.

Wow, prices have really gone up. I saved up money cuttin' grass when I was a kid and bought my for something like $150 if that back in the day. I still have that shotgun, and i'll never get rid of it. It will, however, receive a paint job before too long.

Branden

Yup, what they said. I have the 14 inch entry model 500. Good shotgun.

Sounds like a deal. Mossbergs have not gotten near the play that they deserve. We had both 870's and 590's in the armory and the 870's seemed to have more issues then the 590's. I carried one for awhile in the Corps and never had a problem. A solid stock is certainly more comfortable to shoot with and provides for better stock weld. When you look to get a new stock look at one with a full stock and pistol grip. This helps control the gun when running it quickly and is easier to hold up when performing tactical reloads. I run a M4 type collapsable stock on mine as this helps keep my length of pull the same with heavy body armor on and then extends for regular shooting but is does sacrifice the stock weld. A 6 round side saddle is a very efficient way to carry extra ammo and when practiced reloads and switching between buckshot and slugs is very quick. Another nice add on is the enhanced / larger safety makes it nice for gloved hands. If you really wanted to bullet proof the gun buy a Mossberg metal replacement trigger group. With a few more pennies in the piggy bank my duty 590 will be going to Skunkworks for thier standoff/ choke system. An attached light or lighted fore end and a good sling will get you in the hunt. The only shotguns in my safe are Mossberg and some of that is because I am left handed and the tang safety works better for me and I have always had good luck with them. Maintenance, care, and cleaning is super easy wth them and they do not require much care when in the field to keep them in the fight. Let us know how this works out and any additions you may do to yours.

Good find and good luck with it,

Here is a picture of my key to the city:

2hyghfo.jpg

Danel

Definitely go for it...have a 500 persuader with the collapsable stock...great gun, but buddy uses a 870, he seems to have more problems with his, IMHO (don't lash back if you disagree)...I think people only think the 870 is better b.c of the name.

I had mine for 16 years and love it $200 is a great deal. you can pick up the rifle stock cheap.

moss500a.JPG

moss500a (2).JPG