• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Mossberg 930 issue.

Southernspeed

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Sep 11, 2018
I’ve got a 930, ‘home defence’ model that stays loaded and gets fired once every couple of months I guess. It’s about a couple of years old at most. It’s always worked flawlessly like all my Mossbergs, but today , shooting slug, it wouldn’t pick up the last round, every time. It’s acting like the mag spring is weak. Can that be an issue with these?
If so, can anyone recommend an ‘upgrade’ or good replacement spring? Thanks.

I’ve got a 930, ‘home defence’ model that stays loaded and gets fired once every couple of months I guess. It’s about a couple of years old at most. It’s always worked flawlessly like all my Mossbergs, but today , shooting slug, it wouldn’t pick up the last round, every time. It’s acting like the mag spring is weak. Can that be an issue with these?
If so, can anyone recommend an ‘upgrade’ or good replacement spring? Thanks.

I'd start with replacing the spring, cheap enough that if that doesn't work, you're not out a lot of money.

That'd be interesting to know that keeping a mag tube loaded would negatively impact the spring itself. I have a 930 as well, my favorite shotgun of all I have.

Branden

It's been well-established that compressed springs for many years of storage in pistol, rifle, shotgun magazines does not affect the spring
functionality; spring cycling rates and repetitiveness is what wears out a compressed spring.
I know that is the often repeated line in the firearms world, but my experience with springs in my work leads me to believe it's less set in stone as everyone likes to think.

Either way... I would certainly try a new spring. Seems plausible, gun's moving rearward, heavy slugs are staying still.

I view mag tube springs as consumables, especially for long tube ones. I've used Roth Performance, Nordic Components, Wolff (IIRC). One better than another? I dunno, who knows, they could all be coming off the same machine for all we know. lol

Reactions: Southernspeed
It's been well-established that compressed springs for many years of storage in pistol, rifle, shotgun magazines does not affect the spring
functionality; spring cycling rates and repetitiveness is what wears out a compressed spring.

https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content

There are countless citations on the matter.
I’ve got scores, probably over a hundred loaded mags in my gun room, rifle and pistol and never worry about spring degradation but this certainly seems like it in this case. Interesting, whilst looking for a new spring I found this on Riflestock.com “

Description​

(If you intend to leave your shotgun loaded with the Spring Compressed, you will need an extra spring so they can be rotated to avoid losing their tension.)”

Maybe just a marketing thing but mine certainly lost some tension. Also these springs are much finer than any box mag spring, may have something to do with it.

I'd be interested to learn what slugs (manufacturer, length, slug weight, and velocity) you had problems with as well as how they compare to the ammunition you've been able to shoot without issue over the past several years. Are they similar? If so- it does sound very likely that the most likely issue is that the spring in the tube magazine is weakening and screwing up the necessary dwell time. That "shouldn't" be an issue in regards to 'spring memory' with modern springs however not all springs/metallurgy is equal even amongst the same manufacturer depending on how it's tempered. If they aren't similar- then that's a different variable all together that was introduced and something else that could be discussed/explored.

Since you mentioned that it's the 'home defense' model- I'm making an assumption that you primarily shoot heavier loads through it and not trap loads but also assuming that as a 'home defense model' it could conversely be "over sprung" with a +10% spring (although I'd doubt this is the actual case) but if that's how Mossberg builds them, that could screw up the necessary dwell time as well.

As far as how to best go about troubleshooting it- I'll try to structure my response in regards to what's best for your wallet assuming my previous assumptions for your uses is accurate. The most expensive option would be to buy a bunch of other ammo keeping all parts the same with your shotgun and testing that. That'll tell you the most but would obviously be quite a drain on your pocketbook. Option #2, as Short-bus & cas6969 suggested, you might solve everything with a $20-30 gamble on a new spring. Stick with the original round wire design or go crazy and get a braided/flat wire "upgraded" design if that helps. You'll still need to invest a little bit more money on other slugs to test out the new spring but I'd imagine you'd be able to keep it under $100 all said and done between the spring/shells. That's probably the approach I would have taken for quite some time personally but the older I get, the more I watch my own wallet and time and that brings me to the third option- calling Mossberg and either have them screw around with it by sending it back to them (highest hassle factor but lowest cost) or maybe they'll offer to send you a replacement spring free of charge and in which case you're still in the hole for testing it with various shells but you saved the cost of the spring by making a several minute phone call.

If it's of any consolation- it's easy to get frustrated but these things happen with firearms. A relative of my picked up a similar semi-auto shotgun to your Mossberg, albeit in 20 gauge, from a friend of theirs and complained that it was jamming every 2-3 rounds of "high brass" hunting loads while chasing pheasants and we suspected a weak spring being the culprit. We went out to the range, were able to duplicate the issues but when we shot trap loads had the same problems as well that wasn't previously identified. We tore it down and the gun was filthy so we cleaned it up and brought it out a second time and still duplicated issues with both the trap & hunting loads but probably reduced them by (if I had to pick a random number) 60+% just by cleaning it thoroughly. We regrouped after the 2nd outing and bought another standard round spring (I think from Wolff but I imagine any reputable manufacturer would suffice) and low and behold on the 3rd outing and all subsequent hunting trips, with a little bit of time/patience/experimentation, the gun now runs as close to 100% as any other high quality shotgun with all of the low & high brass loads.

I submitted a similar post myself with trying to workout an issue with an M1 Garand I got from the CMP last year with ejecting the en bloc correctly and also decided to start with changing the main spring driving the action (although I haven't had a chance to test out whether that fixed things admittedly). So I "eat my own cooking" as they say in the South.

Anyway- hope that might be of some help to you, best of luck in getting it resolved.

-LD

I'd be interested to learn what slugs (manufacturer, length, slug weight, and velocity) you had problems with as well as how they compare to the ammunition you've been able to shoot without issue over the past several years. Are they similar? If so- it does sound very likely that the most likely issue is that the spring in the tube magazine is weakening and screwing up the necessary dwell time. That "shouldn't" be an issue in regards to 'spring memory' with modern springs however not all springs/metallurgy is equal even amongst the same manufacturer depending on how it's tempered. If they aren't similar- then that's a different variable all together that was introduced and something else that could be discussed/explored.

Since you mentioned that it's the 'home defense' model- I'm making an assumption that you primarily shoot heavier loads through it and not trap loads but also assuming that as a 'home defense model' it could conversely be "over sprung" with a +10% spring (although I'd doubt this is the actual case) but if that's how Mossberg builds them, that could screw up the necessary dwell time as well.

As far as how to best go about troubleshooting it- I'll try to structure my response in regards to what's best for your wallet assuming my previous assumptions for your uses is accurate. The most expensive option would be to buy a bunch of other ammo keeping all parts the same with your shotgun and testing that. That'll tell you the most but would obviously be quite a drain on your pocketbook. Option #2, as Short-bus & cas6969 suggested, you might solve everything with a $20-30 gamble on a new spring. Stick with the original round wire design or go crazy and get a braided/flat wire "upgraded" design if that helps. You'll still need to invest a little bit more money on other slugs to test out the new spring but I'd imagine you'd be able to keep it under $100 all said and done between the spring/shells. That's probably the approach I would have taken for quite some time personally but the older I get, the more I watch my own wallet and time and that brings me to the third option- calling Mossberg and either have them screw around with it by sending it back to them (highest hassle factor but lowest cost) or maybe they'll offer to send you a replacement spring free of charge and in which case you're still in the hole for testing it with various shells but you saved the cost of the spring by making a several minute phone call.

If it's of any consolation- it's easy to get frustrated but these things happen with firearms. A relative of my picked up a similar semi-auto shotgun to your Mossberg, albeit in 20 gauge, from a friend of theirs and complained that it was jamming every 2-3 rounds of "high brass" hunting loads while chasing pheasants and we suspected a weak spring being the culprit. We went out to the range, were able to duplicate the issues but when we shot trap loads had the same problems as well that wasn't previously identified. We tore it down and the gun was filthy so we cleaned it up and brought it out a second time and still duplicated issues with both the trap & hunting loads but probably reduced them by (if I had to pick a random number) 60+% just by cleaning it thoroughly. We regrouped after the 2nd outing and bought another standard round spring (I think from Wolff but I imagine any reputable manufacturer would suffice) and low and behold on the 3rd outing and all subsequent hunting trips, with a little bit of time/patience/experimentation, the gun now runs as close to 100% as any other high quality shotgun with all of the low & high brass loads.

I submitted a similar post myself with trying to workout an issue with an M1 Garand I got from the CMP last year with ejecting the en bloc correctly and also decided to start with changing the main spring driving the action (although I haven't had a chance to test out whether that fixed things admittedly). So I "eat my own cooking" as they say in the South.

Anyway- hope that might be of some help to you, best of luck in getting it resolved.

-LD
It has buck shot in it but I switch out to Federal Truball slug 1oz at the range.
I gave the spring a little 'stretch' and it functions fine again at the moment. I've ordered a Nordic Comps spring for it. They say not to use the HD spring as it can cause problems on the 930.
I think I'll just store it with a couple of rounds less in it unless I get wind of the zombies rising or UN invading!

Reactions: LuckyDuck
A lot of manufacturers use the same spring in 7rd+ models as their 5rd models. The last round in the tube is a little weak, especially if it's a bit short like a slug. Nordic sells high quality springs that you cut to a length of your choosing.

On the early 930s they were known to have a rough backside to the shell stop. Check the back of the shells for scratching. If your seeing any then polish the backside of the shell stop till nice and smooth. This can cause your issue as well, ask me how I know.

On the early 930s they were known to have a rough backside to the shell stop. Check the back of the shells for scratching. If your seeing any then polish the backside of the shell stop till nice and smooth. This can cause your issue as well, ask me how I know.
I've got mine out now, opening up the loading port, I plan on polishing it before it goes back in. I just got it a few weeks ago with 2 barrels and I've picked up 2 more 24" ported barrels, accu-choke & fully rifled. As well as +2 & +4 mag extensions. Any of y'all stretch your loading ports? I think I'm off to a good start, waiting on a lifter to test fit before deciding if I need more. Sorry to hijack, seemed like a good place to jump in...

Attachments

• IMG_20240407_233446106.jpg
    IMG_20240407_233446106.jpg
    539.8 KB · Views: 24
Seems like you’ve already removed a lot of material. I’d definitely do some testing before going any further.

Reactions: BAMAboy18
Kinda glad I stumbled over this thread. I leave all my mags loaded... but not my tube fed guns like my 930, or my lever guns.
Now I noticed a shortcoming in my spare parts, and will have to order spare tube mag springs for these guns.

Seems like you’ve already removed a lot of material. I’d definitely do some testing before going any further.
My Miculek lifter came yesterday! I'll get it all cleaned out good, and polish the shell stop this evening for a test fit of everything!

My Miculek lifter came yesterday! I'll get it all cleaned out good, and polish the shell stop this evening for a test fit of everything!
I like it a lot! I think I'm even satisfied with the Birchwood Casey's aluminum black.

Attachments

• IMG_20240409_153054638.jpg
    IMG_20240409_153054638.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20240409_152931991.jpg
    IMG_20240409_152931991.jpg
    1,007.6 KB · Views: 24
Aluma black is great stuff
Having one of those Mandela effect moments, I always remember it being called aluma-black, but now it's changed to aluminum black? I've had mixed results, this time it was good. I definitely like it better than the raw polished look everyone else seems to keep. I felt like I went pretty deep with my cut, but kept it short and angular instead of rounded off all the way around. I guess the real test will be if I can load doubles?!

I learned a $20 lesson that you can over tighten a Noveske flush QD mount, got another on the way. But about to have this wrapped up! Kinda bummed, I'd won a GB auction for a case of Hornady sabot slugs, only to be issued a refund ;'(

Attachments

• IMG_20240416_072908212.jpg
    IMG_20240416_072908212.jpg
    650.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240416_072756810.jpg
    IMG_20240416_072756810.jpg
    798.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_20240416_072846578.jpg
    IMG_20240416_072846578.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 14