• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing mossberg MVP blueprint?

Mike308Bell

Private
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2011
Georgia, USA
anybody get their hands on a Mossberg MVP yet? Im wondering what the action dimentions are and if it will fit into any other stocks.

I was thinking about getting one and shooting up some 223 ammo then rebarreling to a 300 Blackout.

Re: mossberg MVP blueprint?

I've been looking in to them as well, They look a lot like savage's, The trigger and barrel lug. Would like to get my hands on one to take a closer inspection

No, not yet. I've been eyeing them up to and including ordering one back last September. It appears the announcement was not followed by any appreciable production, so I cancelled and have been scanning the 'Net weekly for positive vibes.

This past week, the force has become strong with this one. I see reports that they are finally in production. I plan to let the initial feeding frenzy take its toll; then sneak up on one as a complement to my Stag Super Varminter, since they shouid both be compatible with the same magazines

Barrel lengths and twists are reportedly very similar for the two rifles. I figure that makes it worth a try.

Greg

Does anyone else remember the old Raptor actions? They were essentially a SUPER cheap 700 styled rifle. All of the earlier Mossber 4x4s etc were copies of (never got confirmation that they bought up Raptor inventory) the Raptors, they had the funky bolt shroud. Anyway, these look like a refined version of them with a barrel nut.
I will dig around and see what I can come up with through the unusual channels.

My local cabela's had one on the shelf for about a day. I was looking at it and the guy behind the counter interested it. We tried P mags, regular steel mags and the factory mag in it. They all fit well and functioned. With a empty mag in the gun the bolt doesn't like to slide forward cause it hits the mag follower and takes a little persuasion to close the bolt. I also thought the bolt felt a little sloppy. I did however like the stock on the rifle. Personally for mossberg it looks like a step up but I wouldn't want to be one of the first to try it out.
Walter

Had my hands on one this week, and put money down on it.

While I was there, another customer asked to look at it, handled it, asked dealer to order him one. Dealer had another in the back, and he put money down on that one.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had my hands on one this week, and put money down on it.

While I was there, another customer asked to look at it, handled it, asked dealer to order him one. Dealer had another in the back, and he put money down on that one.

Greg </div></div>

I have been wanting one of these but can't find one. Greg where did you find your's? Could you PM the store's name and location?

the receiver does look like a savage but the mounting holes are located a off from each other. I would imagine they could be fitted to a different stock with a little work.

PM sent.

Keep in mind that it looks like the production floodgates have finally opened. Give a look around locally, they may be closer than you thought.

Handling mine, I noticed that it does not like to close the bolt on an empty mag. I think this has something to do with the bolt design and its hinged cartridge pusher. As far as I'm concerned, this is acceptable and simply a quirk of the design feature.

Also, there are several models, with two stocks (Varmint and Predator), and 3 barrels length/profile designs. My preference is for the Varmint, which uses a sorta BR stock designs. The differences can be seen here.

Research suggests that a Savage barrel nut wrench will fit and that the barrel shank threads are compatible with Savage barrels, but that there is a small but critical difference in chamber protrusion spec (.010"/.020"?) that will leave the cartridge unsupported for that difference when mating the Mossberg action with a Savage barrel.

The trigger is adjustable and incorporates a sorta-Savage trigger blade insert, but the rifle still employs a 3 position safety ala Remington.

The rifle does accept various AR15 magazines, but plastic mags are somewhat more snug in the mag well, with some reporting a preference for metal mags.

Greg

Greg, what was the street price on the Varmint? I kinda think this is going to be a homerun for Mossberg.

One was transferred through our store a couple months back. Felt like a cheap Ruger scout...

I was not very impressed..

The only cool thing was that it took Pmags, but at half the price of the scout, I guess it would be a good option. With enough work you could probably make it a decent rifle, but I wasn't a fan of the stock at all, but then again, Im not a fan of most bench rest stocks since I find my fat hands don't really feel comfortable on em.

If another one comes through, ill take pictures, and get as many dimensions as I can and post em up here.

I would prefer not to divulge a number on the Internet that is part of a private trade.

All I will say is that some dealers work with smaller profit margins than others, and I like mine. When he gives me a number it's always good enough for me. I never try to put him over a barrel; I don't need to, and he doesn't need to, either. If you're paying full list, you're definitely paying more than you need to.

I snapped up the rifle, but looking back, I am not at all certain that what I laid cash down on was actually the Varmint model. I'm not overly concerned with that, it's the magazine feed system that I'm interested in buying. The rest will be whatever it turns out to be.

I'm not looking for a precision Sniper rifle, I'm looking for part two of two of an AR mag fed ensemble. Where it goes from there will depend on facts not yet in evidence.

I made a deal; and I will stand behind that deal, regardless.I have found there is always very little to lose in doing that. If I'm screwed, I did it to myself; and I don't screw that easily.

Yes, the rifle could be said to look and feel like a Ruger Scout. I'm more interested in what the targets look like.

Greg

Gotcha. I didn't realize there was a trade involved. Even at full MSRP it seems like a good deal as long as the magazine system works like it should. Shit, just the bottom metal and magazine can cost half as much as the MVP when converting other rifles.

I'm interested in the 24" fluted varmint model in 223. Buds has the predator in 223 but the only thing they has for the varmint is in 204ruger. If mossberg finally started releasing more I'll just have to keep my eye out.

I would also think that the bolt not closing on an empty mag could be seen as a positive although unless it actually does it every time no matter how hard you slam the bolt against it I wouldn't count on it. Always better to just count your shots of course but if your bolt doesn't shut when you go to cycle another round it could save you some time when trying to cycle mags in timed competition. Just a side thought about this.