• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most accurate .224 bulk bullets?

steve123

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2008
none of your business
I don't shoot these much and my supply from many years ago has been low for years already so it's time I replenished, it's been a last priority thing for too long.

Problem is I've had some really crappy 55 FMJ's that shot 2.5" groups at 100Y with my AR, and other brands that shot just over 1" at the same distance. I can't remember what brand I used back then that shot well.

I don't need FMJ per say, just an inexpensive bullet that shoots decent that I can buy in bulk.

What's your go-to and where are the deals at?

I saw Midsouth had cases of 6000 which is more than I can afford at the moment, a couple thou would be fine.

Thanks

I am using the speer 55 soft point, got them on sale for 9 cents per bullet, they are now 10 cents per. I have gotten them to around 1 moa with my ar. I wouldnt call it "accurate" but they are cheap and maybe you can get more of them than a bullet that would shoot better and cost more.

My default to good bullets that I buy in bulk is shooters pro shop blems. They too have some 50 gr soft points for 10 cents per or the 77 rdf for 17 cents.

i have had good luck with the hornady 52 hpbt in .223 and 22-250, and 75hpbt in the .223.

Last edited:
Reactions: steve123
55gr and 60 gr v-max have worked pretty well on varmints out of my 223 bolt gun and 16inch ar

New or factory 2nd's 77g Nosler Custom Competitions. Can get them super cheap and they perform well. The blemishing from 2nd's is usually just slight discoloration or a very small burr on the meplat. Easily remedied to 100 percent condition.

Reactions: ed308 and steve123
Have you tried Bob's Bullets? At $85/1000 shipped, I think they are going to be hard to beat for the price.
https://223bulkbullets.com/
https://223bulkbullets.com/product/223-rem-55-gn-fmj-non-cennelure-1000-count/

They have a non-canalure bullet that i think, so far, will be a darn good bullet. I bought 1000 of them and randomly picked out 20 and weighed them.

BFC8077F-494E-4691-A2BF-FF9B57E238D1.jpeg

F1DB0288-05D8-4295-9131-741A7E5B2057.jpeg

Those numbers look pretty good for bulk.

I loaded up a ladder of them and the numbers I was getting across my Chronograph were starting to look pretty impressive, but the groups sucked. Then I realized my scope was broken.
Here's the numbers from the chrono. All loads using Varget, starting with 25gr. up to 26.8gr.

6B170988-20FE-4B4E-981E-51B7E4879728.jpeg

7FB51F0D-A4C9-4914-96B0-4C970F66DDA6.jpeg

Notice the numbers at 26.8 gr. I have not loaded up anymore of these, but I am going to, not that I have my scope back from the shop. I'm thinking that load will hopefully make some decent groups.

If these turn out to shoot as well as I think they are, I'm going to load up on them.

Last edited:
if as you said in the top of the page in 224 valkyrie would be the 90 grain smk , but some one posted a video with the person from fedral that said they were pulled for now . not sure about if you load your own ammo , but the 75 grain hornady bthp black @ 82 cents per or 16.60 per box of 20 . looks nice its pricier than the regular 75 grain tmj bt plinking round from fedral which works nice from 100 - 600 and only 8.25 per box if you price around , could not tell you about how well it does further out , no 1000 yrd + ranges in my area to shoot yet .

1551223128145.png

if as you said in the top of the page in 224 valkyrie would be the 90 grain smk , but some one posted a video with the person from fedral that said they were pulled for now . not sure about if you load your own ammo , but the 75 grain hornady bthp black @ 82 cents per or 16.60 per box of 20 . looks nice its pricier than the regular 75 grain tmj bt plinking round from fedral which works nice from 100 - 600 and only 8.25 per box could not tell you about further out no ranges in my area to shoot yet .

View attachment 7033131
What?

What is the twist rate you are working with? What is the accuracy expectation? What is the furthest distance you will be shooting? And finally what is the specific purpose of said bullet?

Ive used the speer bulk 55 grain softpoints no cannelure and the Hornady 55 soft points w/c, they are pretty good and for a few bucks more per 500 the Hornady 55 hollow point match w/c.

Thanks a bunch, all of you!

I wanted to wait a day before I responded back to get plenty of ideas, so that's why I didn't reply yesterday.

I have a 8 twist match barrel at 15". My match load is with Berger 70gr vld's at 2650 fps in Lapua brass. The rifle and load is .6 moa or so and I've shot it to 1122Y with some success, but I usually keep things inside 800Y.

I shoot a tiny bit of 3 gun, all within 200Y locally, and hunt a little, plus plink some, that's what these bulk bullets will be used for, wanting decently accurate but cheap bullets for this kind of stuff.

I reload so I just want bullets, not ammo.

Lot's of range brass that I'm processing recently. Shooting for 1.5 moa but less is best with this brass, and whatever bullet I decide on.

That sub 10 cents a bullet is a appealing!

Have you tried Bob's Bullets? At $85/1000 shipped, I think they are going to be hard to beat for the price.
https://223bulkbullets.com/
https://223bulkbullets.com/product/223-rem-55-gn-fmj-non-cennelure-1000-count/

They have a non-canalure bullet that i think, so far, will be a darn good bullet. I bought 1000 of them and randomly picked out 20 and weighed them.

View attachment 7033155

View attachment 7033156

Those numbers look pretty good for bulk.

I loaded up a ladder of them and the numbers I was getting across my Chronograph were starting to look pretty impressive, but the groups sucked. Then I realized my scope was broken.
Here's the numbers from the chrono. All loads using Varget, starting with 25gr. up to 26.8gr.

View attachment 7033157

View attachment 7033161

Notice the numbers at 26.8 gr. I have not loaded up anymore of these, but I am going to, not that I have my scope back from the shop. I'm thinking that load will hopefully make some decent groups.

If these turn out to shoot as well as I think they are, I'm going to load up on them.

Well darn, the timing is off, I'll probably order soon. I sure would have liked to see how these shot!

Last edited:
Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
I tried the Bob's 55 FMJBT today in my 26" WOA upper.

Did 3 shot groups at 200 yards stating at 25 grs of BLC2 working up 0.2 grs at a time to a max of 28.1 grs.

Most of the groups were about 2"...but when I got to 27.0 grs the groups shrank to .770" c to c. and stayed that way to 27.4. A couple of the loads from there showed promise but I think I didn't do my part on those.

My barrel doesn't work well with Ramshot Tac in lighter bullets and these were no exception.

I haven't tried 8208XBR with these yet but with the Midsouth 62 BTHP @ 200 yards I'm getting .500" or less groups over a range of 1.0 grs. My barrel loves the Hornady 55 with 8208 so I wouldn't be surprised if 8208 works with Bob's.

So far Bob's require some load development to get acceptable results but worth the effort.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
I tried the Bob's 55 FMJBT today in my 26" WOA upper.

Did 3 shot groups at 200 yards stating at 25 grs of BLC2 working up 0.2 grs at a time to a max of 28.1 grs.

Most of the groups were about 2"...but when I got to 27.0 grs the groups shrank to .770" c to c. and stayed that way to 27.4. A couple of the loads from there showed promise but I think I didn't do my part on those.

My barrel doesn't work well with Ramshot Tac in lighter bullets and these were no exception.

I haven't tried 8208XBR with these yet but with the Midsouth 62 BTHP @ 200 yards I'm getting .500" or less groups over a range of 1.0 grs. My barrel loves the Hornady 55 with 8208 so I wouldn't be surprised if 8208 works with Bob's.

So far Bob's require some load development to get acceptable results but worth the effort.
I would try 24.5-25gr's H-335.

Posted a review on Bob's per their email request and on their website with the lure of a discount code.

The code didn't work and it appears they only post 5 star reviews. I rated them average or a 3 and gave a detailed explanation of why.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
Been watching the prices at Bob's and noticed they raised them since last week. IMHO sure looks bad raising prices during a panic. I'll shop elsewhere in the future.

I love the 55gr with canular FMJ from hornady

Last edited:
I love the 55gr with canular FM from hornady
Same! For me it's the best bulk bullet for the money on the market.
My rifles will do right around an inch with several different powders with Hornady's FMJ.

Reactions: Doc68
Same! For me it's the best bulk bullet for the money on the market.
My rifles will do right around an inch with several different powders with Hornady's FMJ.
They group really well out of both my AR and my son's bolt rifle. No complaints.

I kind of turned into an Askhole with the bulk bullet thing. The thought of using a lighter bullet for varmints, and liking higher BC's, made me try a 100/box of 53gr Vmax.

They shot a few 3/4" groups after quick 10 shot ladder test at 300Y. Then I bought a bunch of them. Not as expensive as Bergers or as cheap as bulk but I'm not shooting thousands of them in months so...

I too was looking for some inexpensive, yet accurate, blasting bullets a couple months ago. Then 3rd Gen Shooting Supply had a sale and I could get 40-55gr Vmax for about 11¢ each shipped. I know they're accurate in a variety of my rifles, have better BCs than 55FMJs, and they are entertaining on pdogs, and water-filled pop cans and milk jugs, so I suppressed my inner cheap bastard instinct and bought a pile of them. Sure, they're not 6¢ pull downs, but I know they're accurate and multi-purpose.

I suppose I can also justify it by supporting American business too (Hornady).

Hey @steve123... if you dont mind using 40gr .224 projectiles for blasting I think you might want to visit the Nosler section of Third Gen Shooters Supply soon...