• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Most accurate 308 bolt gun out of the box?

Likely a savage. Model 10/12, or get a Savage LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor and a couple cases of Prime ammo and you should be GOLDEN and within max budget!!!

I have no experience with the Tikkas, but some of them are possible candidates as well. If you aren't set on the 308 for a specific reason, a 6.5 caliber has much better ballistics.

Reactions: Zeroit
Many options in your price range.
Tikka, Howa, Ruger Precision, Savage and even remington.
First, you need to decide if you want a standard configuration for your rifle or a chassis system.
With the Ruger, though it is not a true chassis system, what you get is what you get. You can change the buttstock and the fore end, but you still have a chassis style rifle (nothing wrong with that, they are excellent shooters).
If you want a more conventional rifle, then the Tikka, Savage, Howa and Remington are worth a look.
They can also be had with chassis systems.

It is really hard to beat the Howa Bravo, all the attributes of a chassis, but feel like a rifle stock.

If you were to hop in a time machine and go back 5-6 years ago, Savage was fairly well favored here, although with admitted shortcomings. Now, they are a source of ridicule. They still shoot well.

I would agree with fancygunz. We have a couple ruger 308 rprs in the bull pin and they both shoot lights out with federal gold medal 175. Bergara , tikka and savage all make a fine rifle as well. Hard to say one is better than the other . You cant go wrong with any of them. Nothing wrong with a .308 either . I out shoot creedmoor guys all the time with mine! Its a better cartridge to learn on because it takes a bit more skill in the wind.

I have had most of the 308 "Tactical" models. Savage, Rem, Ruger clusterfuck, and Tikka. This Tikka wins hands down.

Reactions: Notch
OP - without more info on your intended purpose it’s hard to give a full recommendation.

If I had $1,500 (excluding optic) I would get a Tikka CTR, put it in a KRG stock and spend the rest to stretch my scope budget.

You can also sell the original tikka stock and mag to recoup some of the costs.

You’ll be hard pressed to find a better setup for an all around rifle.

OP - without more info on your intended purpose it’s hard to give a full recommendation.

If I had $1,500 (excluding optic) I would get a Tikka CTR, put it in a KRG stock and spend the rest to stretch my scope budget.

You can also sell the original tikka stock and mag to recoup some of the costs.

You’ll be hard pressed to find a better setup for an all around rifle.

While not a 308, my brother's 24" SS CTR 6.5 CM shoots lights out. He doesn't even bother to reload it because it shoots cheap factory ammo so well. They are fantastic rifles!

While I don’t have one, I’m surprised no one has said Bergara.

Reactions: N.Parish
It depends on what it’s for. If it’s for hunting and plinking a Tikka CTR would work great. If it’s for match shooting a mpa pmr would be a solid choice. I have both in 6.5 Creedmoor and they are both nice rifles for their intended purpose.

Pretty much all bolt guns in that price range are going to have similar quality barrels and are going to shoot about the same. Most decent bolt guns these days are sub MOA. The majority of them will shoot 3/4moa or better with match ammo. Some will even shoot 1/2moa.

There’s even a lot of sub $500 guns that will group well, I’ve seen ones that would shoot half MOA even.

Accuracy isn’t everything though, there’s a lot of other things that set rifles apart. The better question is what do you want to do with the rifle? Ask yourself that and then start looking for options.

Reactions: eap495
Not MSRP, but I scored my Steyr SSG 04 308 on gunbroker for exactly $1500. The Pro THB is nearly the same rifle with a traditional stock, and can be had for ~$1300 NIB.
With factory ammo, sub moa.
E8EED37E-2CB0-412B-917C-40F7D0A685C3.jpeg
823442E5-3A80-4694-825C-93CE9E4D121E.jpeg
D44CFA14-8BEA-4782-B245-1F5E1D38B5A4.jpeg

Reactions: silentheart
Right now V1 tachtical has Steyr 25% off You could get a THB Manners for $1800 plus you get a free $600 2 day course at Steyr acadamy. Seams like a lot of value to me. SSG-08 barreled action in a Manners prs2 mini chassis stock pluss class is hard to beat for $1800

I bought the 6.5 THB Manners.
Just got it, havent shot it yet
Area 419 brake, Atlas, & Vortex G2 Razor on the way

Reactions: Kamerad
Remington 700 5R gen 2 with a 24” barrel shoot good for me out of the box with factory hunting ammo.

Save another $500 and build what u want
Bighorn $825
Prefit $550
Krg bravo 325-350
Trigger 125-175
$ 1900
Or buy mpa production rifle
Makes more sense to me and u can change calibers

20190915_184806.jpg
20190319_185446.jpg

Used ae mk2, scored it for 1500 with new skins and a pretty fresh bart 308.

Edit: the bart was a m40 contour and didn't look right. I threw a used fte brake on it and sold it for 425. I had a 20" 6.5creed proof steel ai barrel and screwed in on the mk2, also had lri bush the bolt. Not sure what that makes rifle total, 1650ish I suppose.

Last edited:
tikkas are, just low on MV

Tikkas across the board from the cheapest to the Tac A1 are outstanding out of the box on a consistent basis

We see outstanding results with them in all our classes

Are they just low MV on the 6.5's? I think the 308's are fine, though I haven't compared what generally a 20" barrel shoots, mine is getting 2590 w/ FGMM 168gr. My buddy took the Alaska training last year and told me you guys have a separate dope chart for the Tikkas since they're slower.

Depends on use.

I have owned many rifles. For a factory rifle Tikka wins hands down in my book, hunting or shooting.
Im not a chassis guy so bought a CTR in a McMillan. Love it!
Not crazy heavy so have taken it deer hunting too.

I also think the Bergara offerings look good. I do understand from Mr Terry Cross they do not hold up well running in a class with adverse conditions.

Keep an eye out for an AI MK I or II.

Saw a couple at MHSA this year for $1500. Now that would be a frickin deal and better than anything mentioned in your price range.

^^^^All in , under $1500? ?

I did a BA for less from you guys but needed a rail, trigger, and stock with DBM...

^^^^All in , under $1500? ?

I did a BA for less from you guys but needed a rail, trigger, and stock with DBM...

Ask me this again later today. I'm working on something as I type this. Assuming I can pull it off, you guys are going to be like vultures circling a roadkill Kobe steak. :)

Im a fan of LRI work, CS, and timelines.

I know the stories. Heard many.
I
Rifles frikkin hammer. End of story.

Also, @LongRifles Inc. - Any word on an AICS compatible DBM to fill on for the void made bu Jeff from CDI’s untimely passing on?

We are lookin at you....... ?

PS: its later..........?

• Haha
Reactions: supercorndogs
I’m not certain accuracy should be your only consideration. I would prefer to get acceptable accuracy by your definition and acceptable features by your needs and interest.

Last edited:
Hi,

Holy shit....do I have the wrong company related to the machined carbon composite stock?
We you not working with another company that had connections to F1 that was branching off into rifle stocks?

Sincerely,
Theis

I was first approached about this in 2003. I've had a "catalyst" type of involvement in it since that time. Present, kinda involved, not really part of it in any really meaningful capacity.

That started to change a bit a few years ago. I went all in. That caught the eye of a big player. I made the introductions and lubricated the process. Then I got broomed out of the deal. Later I got "prison sexed" by that company when they began selling them cheaper to competitors than what I could buy them for.

Bridges burn. Some bridges get demolished via the detonation of explosives. This one involved atoms and mushroom clouds.

Nothing further to say about it.

Reactions: spife7980