• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most accurate factory AR15 for Varmints/precision?

man32ahan

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 2, 2018
Fairfield, Illinois
As title states, looking at buying a factory AR15 in 223 wylde for Varmints/precision. I would prefer a heavy barreled AR in 16 or 18”.
What do you guys think is the most accurate factory made right now?
Some I’ve been looking at are:
Seekins, ZEV, Noveske, Rainier Arms, and I’ll throw in Rock River Varmint/predator models.
I know RRA sometimes gets a bad rap, but I’ve seen those models shoot time and time again.

Ahh, I saw complete lowers and complete uppers when I was barrel shopping a while back...just assumed they’d do complete rifles also. Are you wanting to stay 16-18” just for mobility?

Reactions: man32ahan
I'm using a WOA Varmint 1/8 26" upper on a lower I already had. The Varmint configuration is available in various lengths.

Very easy
Compass lake
White oak or my favorite
The one you assemble yourself
Edit : forgot Craddock . They’re turning me a 18” Bartlein for a LR308 build rite now.
Compass is turning me a 20” 6.5 Bartlein for a separate build rite now . Couldn’t decide which so there was only 1 thing to do.
Merry Christmas to me

Last edited:
Compass Lake Engineering or Craddock Precision. Not going to get better than that.

Reactions: man32ahan
In a 100% factory rifle the two most accurate I’ve ever owned or seen was a RRA predator pursuit and a RRA varmint. They were both wickedly accurate. My KAC LPR was a close third, but the two RRA’s were most accurate.

The RRA’s left a lot of be desired in the handguard or lack of threaded muzzle on those models. Sure you can have them threaded and swap forends but by time you do that you have a lot more invested in it and you’ve also taken apart the part of the rifle that requires the most tools and knowledge to do, so why not just start with receivers an build?

Last edited:
It may not considered “factory”, but I would consider a custom builder like WES @MSTN. He can build you exactly what you want for whatever intended purpose you want it for using some of the best parts.

Getting a custom rifle may not be the same as a factory one. But it will be tailored to you without having to swap parts around. Any of the reputable builders will stand behind their builds like a factory or even better.

sorry for steering this off the topic of factory rifles.

Reactions: LeadZeke
JP, Rock River, Rainier, Nordic Components, KAC, Barnes Precision Machine.... lots of really good options for accurate AR’s.

You do not see much about Barnes but I have some reviews saying they are 1/2" guns. They are pretty well priced if that is true! I was debating an upper and I think it is 850 complete. I have a lot of them but my JP SCR is my most accurate but a WOA of mine is not far behind and cost about 1/3 price. You can get a factory WOA for 650 and slap it on any lower and have it done for about 1100 with a good trigger.

FN15 Competition is outstanding for me and needs absolutely nothing except glass, but I do NOT have experience with above mentioned brands as far as Complete Rifles.

FN15 Competition is outstanding for me and needs absolutely nothing except glass, but I do NOT have experience with above mentioned brands as far as Complete Rifles.
Are they chambered for Wylde or 5.56?

53446590-1FC1-440A-AFEA-2239503C03C8.jpeg

Still doesn’t answer the question..... he’s asking about what it’s chambered in? My spikes lower says multi!

Still doesn’t answer the question..... he’s asking about what it’s chambered in? My spikes lower says multi!
Jesus, FN15 Competition, is in 223WYLDE.
Sold as 556, however, had to call FN to clarify what MULTI meant - was told 223Wylde, told em update their website (and have caliber engraved on the weapon) if that is the case as they would probably sell a lot more as it shoots outstanding... I did not do a chamber cast to confirm one way or another.

Now that answer.... definitely clarifies it’s chamber info for me! Thank you! But, Jesus is my super secret squirrel code name! Wtf, you a hacker???

Now that answer.... definitely clarifies it’s chamber info for me! Thank you! But, Jesus is my super secret squirrel code name! Wtf, you a hacker???
well, thread was for 223wylde ar15 - kind of assumed it was self explanatory :)

How’d you know my code name???????

Very true! But, very strange they stamp the lower.... hence why two of asked man!

I don’t want to sidetrack this mans thread! But, I’m very curious about your rifle, it’s accuracy, compatibility with other ar 15 parts! The pic of the lower looks sweet as fuck! Off I go to use my Google fu!!!

Jesus, FN15 Competition, is in 223WYLDE.
Sold as 556, however, had to call FN to clarify what MULTI meant - was told 223Wylde, told em update their website (and have caliber engraved on the weapon) if that is the case as they would probably sell a lot more as it shoots outstanding... I did not do a chamber cast to confirm one way or another.

Most stamp the lower multi, doesn’t mean squat about the chambering. Wylde is typically barrel stamped “223/5.56” vs just “5.56”.

well, thread was for 223wylde ar15 - kind of assumed it was self explanatory :)
True, just had in my mind the scar was more .mil focused and didn’t know if it was 5.56 chambered. Now I know;)

I have never seen that FN comp. model before. What kind of groups do you get out of it? I read a few reviews and it is decked out.

You do not see much about Barnes but I have some reviews saying they are 1/2" guns. They are pretty well priced if that is true! I was debating an upper and I think it is 850 complete. I have a lot of them but my JP SCR is my most accurate but a WOA of mine is not far behind and cost about 1/3 price. You can get a factory WOA for 650 and slap it on any lower and have it done for about 1100 with a good trigger.

I ran a BPM 18” DMR rifle about 7 or 8 yrs ago, and it was a very accurate rifle. Not the most accurate gas gun I’ve seen or owned, but pretty damn close. I definitely wouldn’t hesitate to get another one if I was in the market for another AR.

With bow hunting still going on, I only took it out twice thus far. I am VERY happy with it. It is honestly a very first semi-auto modern rig which I do not consider upgrading something (well, folding stock maybe, but that is more of accessory) on it. Functions perfect, terrific single stage trigger, well balanced and accurate as hell. Considering trying (it is a heavy optic) Burris XTR 1.5-8 with offset fast fire dot on it vs Trijicon 1-8 and offset irons.
Not many owners of it in the US - my serial is just past 800, so probably around 500-600 actually sold. FN marketing for it is non-existent - was a fluke I was recommended it and glad I was in a position to order one. For a 3-gun, I am struggling to think of a better option especially for the price paid.

What's your goal? I have a Stag Model 6 Super Varminter in the back of my safe. I've got a Weaver Super Slam Tactical 6-30x56 on top; rifle is stock except for an ATC AR Gold trigger. Comes with a 24" 1/8 twist E.R. Shaw stainless bull barrel. Half MOA or better. Boringly accurate. Cheap.

Reactions: long range dogr
What's your goal? I have a Stag Model 6 Super Varminter in the back of my safe. I've got a Weaver Super Slam Tactical 6-30x56 on top; rifle is stock except for an ATC AR Gold trigger. Comes with a 24" 1/8 twist E.R. Shaw stainless bull barrel. Half MOA or better. Boringly accurate. Cheap.

I may be interested if the op passes?

Compass Lake will make you anything you want. I just ordered two barrels from them, both with every dimension specified by me even down to the gas port size.

Accuracy is 90% controlled by barrel quality. If you buy an off the shelf rifle, you have no idea what you’re getting. Your results will likely reflect that. With Compass Lake or Craddock, you can choose how good you want it to be because you can choose the barrel blank. Myself, I chose Bartlein.

Reactions: LeadZeke and MSTN