• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Dvando20

Private
Minuteman
Sep 8, 2017
I am putting together a Remington 700 in .308win as a hunting/all purpose/semi-long range rifle with a little bit of an M40A1 style to it. What is considered to be the most durable scope base and 30mm rings? I want this rifle to be able to take a beating without any worry of something breaking whether it is from recoil, getting dropped, accidentally whacked off a tree, getting dragged, etc. Looking forward to some wisdom.

I have allways primarily used Badger Ord. and have some of their rings that are very well made in my opinion but there are quite a few different brands that are right up there.
I don't really think that the base is the week link though it's the machine screws holding the base on the reciever and why builders offer the option of upgrading those to 8-40.

I have allways primarily used Badger Ord. and have some of their rings that are very well made in my opinion but there are quite a few different brands that are right up there.
I don't really think that the base is the week link though it's the machine screws holding the base on the reciever and why builders offer the option of upgrading those to 8-40.
Understandable. I just figured, if the rings are going to be top notch, then machine screws and base should be up there with them. I am a believer in "don't put $50 tires on your $3,000 wheels".

I have a Seekins base and Warne Mountain Tech rings on mine. Love the setup. It seems pretty burly

Reactions: Dvando20
Correct Badger, Seekins, Nightforce, Weaver Tactical all have an integrated recoil lug.
I would honestly be surprised if any of the full length bases of that style didn't have one.
Are any of the 1 piece bases with recoil lugs made of steel? I prefer steel over aluminum.

I like the badger/NF as well. Have been happy with the Leupold MK 4 rings as well.

I prefer steel. Only aluminum I have is NF ultralight rings and Spuhr mounts. Badger and NF both make steel. They’ll be the $120 base vs the standard duty $60 ones

Lately I’ve become a Spuhr whore. However spurh wont do anything better than a quality Badger or NF product will in terms of holding the scope solid.

Reactions: hseII
Base: 20 MOA NF steel, Badger, or Murphy stainless or titanium. Bed the base.
Rings: NF

Attachments

• nfbase.jpg
    nfbase.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 243
  • 20inch.jpg
    20inch.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 308
  • 5r2.jpg
    5r2.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 244
Last edited:
What are the factory machine screws? I take it the 8-40 screws require opening up and re-threading the holes?

Correct Badger, Seekins, Nightforce, Weaver Tactical all have an integrated recoil lug.
I would honestly be surprised if any of the full length bases of that style didn't have one.
On the Badger I don't see a recoil lug on the regular rail. Only on the M40A3 seems to have one. Am I missing something? 1 pic is the A3 other is regular Rem700. Maybe I am missing what "integrated" means?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200928-061749_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200928-061749_Chrome.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 165
  • Screenshot_20200928-061656_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200928-061656_Chrome.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 156
Have your receiver milled for a lugged base, open the mount screws, use a Badger/DD Ross M40A3 steel base and badger steel rings.

Overkill?

Probably, but durable.

Reactions: hseII
Have your receiver milled for a lugged base, open the mount screws, use a Badger/DD Ross M40A3 steel base and badger steel rings.

Overkill?

Probably, but durable.
I was looking at that exact setup. The steel 6 screw rings look like my go-to. I have no need for the slotted rail though.

I happen to have this fully kitted out NF direct mount for sale - low 30mm - 20 moa cant

Wether it sells or not I absolutely love it, just need more height to clear my big can! I highly recommend these things to everyone.

Btw the low rings are good to go on my 56mm nxs, barely clears but there is clearance nonetheless

Attachments

• 3AC469BC-68F6-446C-AE66-8526B2049FF0.jpeg
    3AC469BC-68F6-446C-AE66-8526B2049FF0.jpeg
    472.4 KB · Views: 383
  • 8850B6AE-D81D-4D7A-B3BD-BF762B6BD1B6.jpeg
    8850B6AE-D81D-4D7A-B3BD-BF762B6BD1B6.jpeg
    508.4 KB · Views: 647
  • 0F4241CD-7336-4A6A-8B79-44BE1A590922.jpeg
    0F4241CD-7336-4A6A-8B79-44BE1A590922.jpeg
    538.4 KB · Views: 240
I am putting together a Remington 700 in .308win as a hunting/all purpose/semi-long range rifle with a little bit of an M40A1 style to it. What is considered to be the most durable scope base and 30mm rings? I want this rifle to be able to take a beating without any worry of something breaking whether it is from recoil, getting dropped, accidentally whacked off a tree, getting dragged, etc. Looking forward to some wisdom.

On my Rem 5R in .308 I have a Badger 20 moa rail and Leupold Mk 4 steel rings and I'm very happy with this set up.

Something to consider is height as all manf do not make rings to any sort of standard height.

I note that you don't tell us the objective size of your scope. In steel, the lowest rings I could find were Leupold MK 4 which came in at .84". NOTE: Leupold doesn't make "low" rings...they make "medium" and up and the "mediums" are lower than any other I have found in steel. And, these Leupold rings came highly recommended and I have found no reason to disagree. They are rock solid.

Now, this is for a Vortex Viper 3-15 x 44mm scope and this gun is primarily a hunting rifle with 20" barrel but it shoots well enough to also be fun at the range. If I had a bigger objective, I would have to have gone up in height.

If going aluminum, consider the American Rifle Company M-10 rings. I have them on a 6.5 CM target gun and really like them....particularly that they are fairly low profile on top and mostly because when you tighten them, the scope doesn't rotate and fuck up your level (and yes, for no really good reason I'm anal about level).

Hope this is somewhat helpful.

On several of my Remington 700's, I use the NF Extreme base with the larger 8-40 receiver screws. For rings, I use Seekins Precision /Vortex PMR rings(same rings, branded differently)..... I feel this combo is very sturdy, & not horribly over weight..... Another feature of those 2 brands of rings, there is no large bolt/nut assembly hanging off the side....

On my Rem 5R in .308 I have a Badger 20 moa rail and Leupold Mk 4 steel rings and I'm very happy with this set up.

Something to consider is height as all manf do not make rings to any sort of standard height.

I note that you don't tell us the objective size of your scope. In steel, the lowest rings I could find were Leupold MK 4 which came in at .84". NOTE: Leupold doesn't make "low" rings...they make "medium" and up and the "mediums" are lower than any other I have found in steel. And, these Leupold rings came highly recommended and I have found no reason to disagree. They are rock solid.

Now, this is for a Vortex Viper 3-15 x 44mm scope and this gun is primarily a hunting rifle with 20" barrel but it shoots well enough to also be fun at the range. If I had a bigger objective, I would have to have gone up in height.

If going aluminum, consider the American Rifle Company M-10 rings. I have them on a 6.5 CM target gun and really like them....particularly that they are fairly low profile on top and mostly because when you tighten them, the scope doesn't rotate and fuck up your level (and yes, for no really good reason I'm anal about level).

Hope this is somewhat helpful.
Thank you for the info. I am running a SWFA 10x42. Keeping it simple.

Reactions: Baron23
Thank you for the info. I am running a SWFA 10x42. Keeping it simple.
The scope has to be high enough to clear the bolt too. Most shooters are going min 1" for clearance at both ends, and even head/neck angle/comfort if you are going to be looking through it for long periods. Look at Frank's videos and John's (8541 tactical) and their reasons to get taller rings.

The scope has to be high enough to clear the bolt too. Most shooters are going min 1" for clearance at both ends, and even head/neck angle/comfort if you are going to be looking through it for long periods. Look at Frank's videos and John's (8541 tactical) and their reasons to get taller rings.
I have been hooked on John's videos for a while. I am going to find a happy medium once the glass comes in. I will mock it up and figure out a good height for my head position and cheek weld on the comb for long periods of observation.

Reactions: Aqua Mark
I seriously doubt there is anything stronger than the Sako or CZ reciever dovertails and their matching rings. I don't recall if my Sako 75 had a recoil lug for the rings but I'm certain the CZ 550 has a recoil lug recess for the rear ring.

I have a Seekins and Area 419 lugged bases, Area 419 was a little nicer.

Only other I'd switch to is a badger A3 style for my 40x with a stripper clip slot.

Hawkins tactical rings are solid or even their Hybrid rings for a hunting rig work well with 20MOA built in

I really like the steel base and rings by Farrell. Very precise, easily bedded base and almost indestructible.