• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Most Durable Optics.

sprice

Private
Minuteman
Jun 19, 2011
Utah
What's the most durable low power scope (fixed 3x/4x, or a variable 1,2, or 3, to 7,8,9, or even 10) for under $1000? What I like so far is the Ta11 acog, and various 1-4's. But which make and model do you think is the most robust and durable scope?

Also, keeping it around 16 oz if not lighter is important to me.

Re: Most Durable Optics.

I think you could run over an ACOG with a tractor trailer and still use it. They're about as durable as it gets v

mst-100s are made from steel are pretty durable

I'm not at all impressed with the ACOG. As a Marine I have gone through six of them, two of which were brand new. On top of that I take decent care of my weapon. Also for an optic that claims repeatability and durability/dependability, think about this; I watched about six of them lose a zero during our annual rifle qual, and watched my buddy almost fail(ended up being a weapon drop) due to the prism disintegrating after the second string of rapid fire. Just throwing this out there, how good is it really when you have to bang on it three times to set an adjustment, and then re-zero every time you take it out to shoot. The reticle is great, but the rest of it is just a name and not worth the price.

I have always liked the ACOG. Its not the best in the sense that it isn't variable. But they are built to last. I had one on a M4 going on 4 years, and there was never anything wrong with it. You have to remember its just an Advanced Combat Optic Gun site. You set it, and forget it. At least that was my experience. I zeroed it once and left it for over a year in Iraq and it never shifted zero.

As to durability, I don't know what hewlett260 is talking about as I've never even heard of that many failures. Let alone in one battalion or company. When I was in, that was the optic you wanted. I don't know how many times my rifle bounced around in a hum v, striker, mrap, or got bumped or hit or dropped.. and it always was zeroed.

But now that I'm out I don't feel that I need a combat tough optic on my rifle so I'm thinking I'm going with a Vortex PST 1-4. TO ME they seem durable enough for my needs. Be it hunting, 3gun, or general plinking. Oh and don't forget when the SHTF.

I think you would be well off with any of the scopes mentioned so far in this thread. It all depends what your going to use the weapon for. Is it going to get dropped and chucked and drug threw crap/ Or is it going to the range, the field, and maybe a comp?

With that said.

-Nightforce
-ACOG
-USO
-Schmidt & Bender

Are going to cost more, but probably be the most durable.

-Vortex
-SWFA
-IOR
-Nikon
-insert economical priced scope brand name here

These are going to cost less, wont be on the same level. But as long as you dont shoot at it, blow it up, use it to pound tent stakes in, or hand to hand combat with it. You should be good. Hop on SWFA.com and look at IOR Valadada, Vortex PST and the Razor series. Theres some below $1000 and a few just over $1000.

Best of luck