• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most effective muzzle brake

Dark Horse

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2008
Albany, NY
Kind of a difficult question to ask unless someone has actually compared several on the same rifle but hoping to hear any feedback available.

Basically trying to find the most effective brake to mount on a Socom 16 with 5/8x24 threads. Looking for the most significant reduction in recoil and muzzle climb for fast follow-up shots and not overly concerned with blast or noise.

Re: Most effective muzzle brake

I have shot twelve brakes on the same gun going through which felt best. I stoped when I got to the cheapest one of the group. Go to the sales section and look for RWS selling brakes. He charges right under $50 or so and they work the best. If you need something that will remove flash then we need to know so that another can be mentioned. The Surefire brakes seem to the that job well.

Removing flash would be a bonus but not a requirement and if the gap between their effectiveness is narrow, then I will take the flash reduction as well.

I do like the Surefire MB762-211C just don't know how it compares to other brakes.

I shoot competition and the RWS brakes that I have don't compare with the others as far as recoil so if that is all you need get the RWS but it sounds like flash is also a concern so I think you are on the right path with the Surefire.

Primary Weapons Systems FSC30.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_rCyouldmzA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_rCyouldmzA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I guess this has been addressed a zillion times with a lot of variety to the answers. Have a look at the link below which is a comparative study of 15 brakes, completed in 2009. In addition to being a unique method of analyzing recoil reduction and muzzle lift (laser trace images), it brings up some of the reasons why there is no one perfect brake. Different equipment, shooting techniques, etc, suggest different solutions. In the end, it may be that you have to narrow down to a few, or as many as you can afford, then try them on your rifle to know what works best for you.

"A Second Look at Compensator Performance" - Patrick Kelley

+1 for the RWS brakes they perform very well. I installed one on my LMT MWS and can stay on target at 250 and see the bullet impacts on the steel targets. The price is right as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: D.Draig</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> "A Second Look at Compensator Performance" - Patrick Kelley </div></div>

I like that article and thank you for the link. It is a difficult item to test and I think there are better ways to go about it, but this is fairly conclusive. Alot of this is personal preference but I am going to stick with my Hogan 308 muzzle brake. Easy for follow on shots.

I have a Bushmaster A1 556 with a 16" barrel and a muzzle brake that has been pinned on. I'm not sure on the age, but it's 10+ years old.

The brake directs the blast back towards me and any shooters that are on the range next to me. It's so bad that most people pick up their stuff and move down several benches to avoid the concussion.

Since the brake is pinned; is my only option to get a new barrel?

Also, are the new muzzle brakes better about redirecting the blast in a way that won't knock over the spotting scope of the guy next to me? I ask this because I really want to get a 7.62 next and am wondering about a brake or flash hider.

Any competent gunsmith should be able to remove a pinned brake and, if necessary re-thread the barrel to fit a new one. The question you may want to ask is whether doing that is legal if you are right on the 16" limit withthe brake attached.

I really like the Benny Hill rolling thunder. The JP recoil eliminator is also very effective.

I'll take it to a gunsmith to see if he can remove the pinned brake on the Bushy.

DH I can assure you Battlecomp hands down..espcially on the M1A socom..

Should I expect to get a lot of blow back on a surefire brake with a 7.62? If that's the norm than maybe I'll look more into a flash suppressor.

+1 for the surefire. Haven't used it on a semi yet but on the a bolt gun the recoil reduction was real noticable. The port on top that directs a small amount of gas up and to the right is awesome at reducing muzzle rise for right handed shooters. As far as blow back I haven't experienced any. Blast to the side isn't fun to be next to but its not the worst I've experienced.

Thanks for all the input. Most likely I will purchase several that have been recommended and do some testing.

Ive already tested them and the battle comp works best for muzzlebrake and the vortex for flash..the FCS sucked..The surefire wont work or fit for that matter.

Sure it will. Any 5/8x24 thread brake will fit if I replace the factory brake with a Smith Enterprise gas lock.

I see your from NY so I was thinking the brake whe the can adapter..but its only about an inch with the SEI gas lock so im still leery the regular one will fit.

I confirmed with Surefire that the 211C brake will work and yes, unfortunately I live in NY.

Good to know thanks. their dual port works great. At least you dont live in the city..

How does the PWS work when prone? dust storm afterwards?

surefire mb762 is better comparing to pws 30, but not for your range friends next to you.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: josie6637</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How does the PWS work when prone? dust storm afterwards? </div></div>

You bet your sweet ass. LoL

I wouldn't recommend it for shooting prone because it throws/sprays shit all over anything and anyone on either side of the muzzle blast.

its amazing how many cool brakes/comps are out there. after reading some of the links, I think I am going to get one for my ar 15 where before,because of the low impulse round, did not think I needed one.

But with larger caliber AR 10's what a huge difference they make ! my SJC is awesome.

she does blow down the grass and weeds on the sides too

The Battlecomp 308 has really cut down my EBRs recoil! i would highly recommend it! a bit spendy billing in just over $200

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the SJC Titan come in .308? </div></div>

yes, thats what mine is. after doing some research I chose the SJC got it from larue in two days and it was a $100. it is flat out awesome. recoil is a fraction of what it would normally be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: command450</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the SJC Titan come in .308? </div></div>

yes, thats what mine is. after doing some research I chose the SJC got it from larue in two days and it was a $100. it is flat out awesome. recoil is a fraction of what it would normally be. </div></div>

Reduces recoil less than the pws?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 6.5mmman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Does the SJC Titan come in .308? </div></div>

Yes, it happens to be what I have on my M1A and it looks excellent! It is comparable to the JP Benny Cooley Brake for recoil reduction (I have that on my AR-10) . I haven't had a chance to put a lot of rounds through it yet to see which one I prefer.