• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Most effective muzzle brake ?

Re: Most effective muzzle brake ?

I was looking at this particular brake from "Score High" in New Mexico. It is supoosedly designed for Tactical bolt guns and as per them is designed to inhibit the recoil as well as balance it to prevent the rifle from hopping when shooting off a bipod.

I am doing a search on the hide to gather info . I am currently building a 300 wm and I need to figure out which break I will use. I know for sure I will need a cap and want to take the brake on and off but that is it so far.

Kepp me posted and I'll let you know what I find here. Slick

I ama also looking for one for my 700 PSS in 300 ULTRA. I keep hearing Vias. But really interested in what you find out.

Mike

i have a pardner that swears by the TUBB brake.....it really is most effective....as in the barrel do not MOVE period.......

be said....my vias brakes have been very effective, they do however dirty up, so they do require soaking and a small drill bit to extract the build up......i have a vias on a .300wm my 10yr.old shoots....no ill effect, tears or hurt shoulder

Search "brake"; there's a zillion threads...

My .02:
I have a Vias brake on my 700PSS in .300WM.
Works very well. My only gripe is that my scope's sunshade fills up w/ dirt and dead grass from the muzzle blast.
I've got an Ops Inc brake on my .308 and I dont end up w/ crap in my sunshade...

Vias:

300wmmb_004.jpg

Don't have a pic of the Ops Inc.

I have an Ops Inc on a KMW and had an Answer Products on another 308. I do like the looks and performance of both.

Keith

My 2 cents goes for the Vias style brakes......I use several variations, some with front exit some with out.
I have also played with the hole dia's and have had great results.
Here is a pic of a Vias on steroids on a 24" 308, wt is 7/10 #, might be getting a bit of tuning from it also.
mss_308_2.jpg

Dito to the other posts, there are a gazillion options out there.
I prefer to make my own, use a tight, still safe exit hole dia to help peel off as much of the gas as possible.

again, my .02,,,,,,,
Cheers,

The most Effective brakes is the JP tank brake..and second is the armalite monstrocity..they are the most effective period.the question is can you handle the ugly..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: VSP968</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Search "brake"; there's a zillion threads...

My .02:
I have a Vias brake on my 700PSS in .300WM.
Works very well.
Vias:

300wmmb_004.jpg

Don't have a pic of the Ops Inc.
</div></div>

The one I have on my 300 Win Mag is a Vias like this one also. Just it's in shiny stainless finish. Well worth the money.

As a bonus, with the JP break you can also use your rifle as a battering ram...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Megacab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Soliciting opinions on the most effective muzzle brake for a Remmy P in .300WM.

Vias?
Holland?
Other? </div></div>

Side venting brakes such as the one PAI sells/markets and the Badger Thruster seem to have the least amount of felt recoil based on numerous post and tests I've seen. Dust signatures are also considerably less. The Vias is very good and turned the recoil of my 300 Jarrett into child’s play. Literally, I've had 12yoa children shoot the rifle, recoil was non-existent to them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As a bonus, with the JP break you can also use your rifle as a battering ram... </div></div>

laugh.gif
ROTFLMAO

Just put together a Remington 700 300 WSM, with a 22" tube and am running a Miculek brake from DPMS. Inexpensive and works great! Recoils like a 223 or 22-250, but is very loud.

like the FTE alot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sigster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">like the FTE alot. </div></div>
+1

The baffle style brakes reduce more recoil than the ported simple do to more surface area for the gas to act against hence the two huge baffel on the JP and Badger's.

I use a V-port from Striat Shot Gunsmithing out of Center , North Dakota his brake work as good or better than any other baffle style I've used and they have a unique look to them , Nathan is a realy good guy to deal with and would probably taylor a brake to meet your want/needs. And his installation if flawless.
http://www.straightshotgunsmithing.com/
SSGV-portbrakesideview.jpg

OK Brakes, I have to tell you guys if you have not tried Pete Lincoln's brake you should... It is the most effective brake I have ever used. And because of the design it has a flat bottem to it so that means you don't get sprayed with dirt when shooting from prone.

People have said that you don't need a brake on a .308. But I like to watch my shoots hit the target.

It comes in several styles from bolt on to thread. check his
site for more in. Pete is also offing adapters for US threaded barrels Such as 5/8 x 24 TPI. & 1/2 x28 TPI

http://www.webshop.roedale.de/index.php?cat=c89_Muzzle-Brakes.html

204_0.JPG

web.jpg

Looks pretty bitchin'. Thanks for posting pics, I'll have to check that site out.

Big ugly breaks do have appeal. wonder if anyone did accuracy test with and without brake? Rem ltr 308 with and without FTE is inconclusive. Witnessing the bullet strike makes the difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't have a pic of the Ops Inc.</div></div>

http://www.opsinc.us/install.php

</div></div>

thread didn't work

Vias and OPS Inc brakes work well for me. The Vias allows me to see hits on target in 308 Win.

I have the Holland QD and am very pleased, I'm shooting a 7wsm pistol with a 6.5-20 leupy. I know a guy with the new style Holland brake where the ports are radiused and angled backwards, He shot his 7dakota xp100 pistol with 2 fingers, almost no recoil!

Does the FTE just clamp on an unthreaded barrel? I am looking for a brake that I can just clamp on. Any suggestions?

N0, it must be threaded and barrel turned to correct dia. behind the threads for the clamping part. The clamp is only to index it on the rifle.

like a few others have stated. 100% it's the ( JP ) for max elimination of recoil, barrel jump and unwanted muzzle blast in front of the glass.
2nd I got to say is FTE
3rd is OPS
the 2nd & 3rd choice do a very good job of keeping muzzle blast out of glass view and recoil down.

Kirby Allen is making a brake that he calls his Piankiller brake. He installed one on my .338 Edge and it works great. If you want to see a pic of the slim version, I have a pic posted in the photo gallery section under "My new .338 Edge". It is a baffle style brake with a couple of ports on the top to help keep the muzzle down.

You might look at the Van Dyke Rifle brake...It is a tank style
brake, it is kind of monstrous, but it works very well on my Rem .300WM. Recoil is less than my FN SPR .308 w/no brake..
I have a Gentry on my .300 SAUM, not as effective as the VanDyke, but it is not going to be due to the lack of surface area for the muzzle gases to act upon.

TBAC suppressor is on the way, which will take the place of all my brakes on .30 cals..

I really would like to have one of petes muzzle brakes. Can us citizens order from him? How much does one of these brakes cost in american money. I have tried to contact pete several times and he will not return my pm's. Lee

Anybody can buy a VIAS. If it tames this (9 lb 400 H&H, 400 gr @2600 fps), I imagine it will tame anything.

DSCN1124.jpg

I have a TRG brake on a .300 Win Mag Sendaro.

It is one very efficient brake and as it is screwed on then clamped in position it is not fussy about the thread.

Does not make you popular with anyone who is next to you though!

TRG_MuzzleBrake_L.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a pardner that swears by the TUBB brake.....it really is most effective....as in the barrel do not MOVE period....... </div></div>

++1 for the Tubb, works really well. Not as resistant to bending as the Badger FTE ,(also works well) but a bit less costly and just as effective.