• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Most fun day ever behind a gun...

iplumb

Private
Minuteman
May 2, 2010
New York
Hello All - I am new to the Hide and new to Tactical Shooting.
I recently had the pleasure to go to Thunder Valley in Ohio and spend the day with Tom Sarver at his range. All I can say is Wow. What a blast. What an education I got - and had a ball doing it. I can not wait to go back. For 2010 one of my goals was to become a better long range shot, and this certainly helped my quest.

I did not know what to expect, and I would have been tickled to shoot and hit at 1000 yards (it was on my "bucket" list). Well, I ended the day hitting the 12 x 12 target at 1740 yards (with my 308)- which I never even dreamed of.

I got the bug pretty bad - and I am geeting my next trip back lined up right now. I just loved the course layout - all the positions and target locations and can't say enough about how much Tom helped me.

Mike Dollendorf

Re: Most fun day ever behind a gun...

Sounds like a great time Mike and you achieved your goal + about 700 yrds...
laugh.gif
I have yet to do ANY long range shooting, but I am in the right spot to learn.

Try and get some pics on your next outing, sounds like a great place!

Congrats!

Chris

Mike was doing very well and his rifle and loads where too.
After making up his drop chart (100 yard increments) and testing/correcting it to where it was EXACT he was hitting a 12"x12" steel plate shot for shot. With this I thought hmm..as flat and accurate as he is shooting his 155's I knew I could get him to the mile target. After a few sighter shots he was there...and you wouldn't want to be standing there so to speak! Out of about 10-15 shots he grouped an average of 24" or so..with a .308 shooting 155's!
Never under estimate your rig till you know it's limitations.
Subsonic doesnt always mean NO accuracy at extreme range.

Thanks for coming out Mike, I enjoyed working with you and I bet your face hurt from smiling all day and all the way back to NY...lol!

Holy smokes 1740 yards!!! Thats impressive.

Good news as well for the rest of us 155 grain .308 shooters.

Mike or Tom, do you know the velocity these projectiles were being pushed at?

At home, my crono averaged 2817 for 18 shots. At thunder valley, the number seemed a little faster based on actual hits, about 2850 - 2860 if I recall correctly.

Mike

What kind of Rig you running?
Barrel/twist/Scope?

Nice work.
Sounds like it all came together.
And .....Welcome to the hide.
..........SmokeRolls

Thanks.
I was using my Sako TRG 22 with a Nightforce NXS 3.5 - 15 56.
I was shooting Lapua Brass, 155 scenars, 46 G varget loaded to 2.850 OAL.
Mike

Very nice!

I shoot a similar load only my COAL is longer due to the remington deepthroat!

TRG22's are nice rifles

Sounds awesome. I'd love to try it out. May have to schedule a trip.