• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most overrated piece of equipment

C.R. Adams

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2019
What would be the most overrated piece(s) of equipment promoted for use in PRS or long range shooting?

Useless is not to be confused with overrated. Useless and overrated are NOT synonyms for one another.

All of this BS would be damn good contender(s) as well.

Delta 5. Came on strong with advertisements and publicity but where is it now? I haven’t heard much on these rifles.

Reactions: BLKWLFK9
The little "rear support" contraption that mounts to your tripod legs for those who use their tripods in that manner. Seemed like a solution looking for a problem.

I may get flamed for this but the kestrel HUD that mounts to your rifle. Just seems a little extra.

The arca wedge block system (forgot what it was called) that clamps onto the barricade.

Reactions: C.R. Adams
Lots of gimmicky stuff out there these days to catch a shooter by his wallet.

I think Lowlight nailed it with the tac table, bags attaching to rifles via rails, and those silly barricade blocks.

Some of the stuff in this thread, while bad (like recoil reducing bipods) were never really hyped up.

Quite honestly, the single most overhyped product recently for PRS was the Impact action. No doubt it's a great action, the hype behind that product was stronger then anything else out there, and by a wide margin. The internet was full of hyperbole and rhetoric when that action first came out, it was unbearable. When people would ask what action is the best/what to buy, people would just reply with one word responses "Impact!", because they couldn't explain why it was better then any other action (I think most responses were seeking validation on their purchase).

While the Impact is certainly a good action, and I wouldn't steer anyone away from it if that's what they had their hearts set on, it was overhyped big time. It's a nice rendition of the R700 two lug push feed action, but doesn't do anything better then a well timed any other modern tier 1 action.

Oh yeah, Curtis actions are also overhyped, but namely because the product quality is not up to par with other actions (and thus not worth the price).

how about the use of carbon fiber tripods as compared to a quality alloy tripod such as or similar to the Shadow Tech Field Shooting Tripod? How many PRS participants are carrying their tripod any material distance where the lighter weight of the carbon fiber provides the benefit of reduced weight? While a sturdy/quality tripod definitely adds benefit to the shooter, does the cost associated with the carbon fiber product really live up to the cost? Especially considering most tripods are most often used to support a spotting scope and and pack.

Depends on the match. Most PRS style matches I would agree with you, you can get away with shooting the vast majority of stages with a barricade bag and/or rear bag. Sometimes, keeping it the simplest is the best formula for success.

For field matches, like say the ones Carl Taylor puts on, a good tripod is an indespensible tool. Matches like that in which you are battling the terrain rather then contrived MD contraptions, a tripod can be one of the best tools at your disposal.

A good quality carbon fiber tripod truly is a game changer for shooters in some aspects, but it's not a tool that necessarily shines on a square range full of contrived props to shoot off of.

At the end of the day, depends on how and where you shoot. For some people, it may be an unnecessary and very expensive luxury item that rarely gets used, not to it's full capacity anyways. For others, it could be the best spent money on gear they can make.

Going to an event that was MAX 500 yards and a light breeze...and everyone constantly fidgeting with their Kestrals...and no..it was a 22LR match.

I "resemble" the remark about the ARCA-attached bag. I picked a 2-bag set + clamp off a prize table... is it helpful? Yeah. Worth buying at regular price? Much more subjective. I'll keep using it because I have it, but, knowing what I know now, I personally wouldn't buy one.

Tactical tables

Bags that connect to the rifles via the clamp

going back a year or two, the block rails that pin the barricades between the blocks.

Shhhhhhhhhh. Sure there’s bunch of these on clearance all Over the net! I’ll admit , got a 419 “rail changer” for Xmas gift 2018. The arca clamp was used else where & bag used for rear support or cattle gate/similar lower profile props. As for push button detent pin “barricade stops” make great extra handles on turret press head lmao.

He didn't say they weren't good. He said they were overrated. As in, they are not the only scope mount/rings that hold and return to zero. There are a lot of quality options that cost much less that will hold your scope.

I don't think anyone can say they are not good - they are obviously of very high quality.

I think for most people they are bit overkill, not that there's anything wrong with that, especially if you have money burning a hole in your pocket.

Personally ARC rings do everything I need, love the clamshell design with one bolt, and they are less then half the price of the Spuhr.

If I did a lot of NV shooting I would look hard at Spuhr as I could then use some of the extra features, but otherwise, I personally can't justify the extra cost of the Spuhr when the ARC's do everything I need to do well, and at a lot less money.

I certainly wouldn't fault someone for using Spuhr's, but I think it's hard to justify them over cheaper quality alternatives for a game like PRS.

Overrated. Yes.

Plenty of perfectly workable and reliable rings that don't cost $400.
I think there are enough features in spuhr mounts not found anywhere else that currently justify the hype and price. Are other rings perfectly functional and serviceable? Yes! But i don't think spuhr is overhyped. They're so good even griffin tried to make a knock-off.

Production Class in general. Much talk, never see anyone actually shoot it. And now they changed it to make the price ceiling even higher. Who do they think this class is for? The "new shooter" got off the train about 3 grand ago.

Lots of gimmicky stuff out there these days to catch a shooter by his wallet.

I think Lowlight nailed it with the tac table, bags attaching to rifles via rails, and those silly barricade blocks.

Some of the stuff in this thread, while bad (like recoil reducing bipods) were never really hyped up.

Quite honestly, the single most overhyped product recently for PRS was the Impact action. No doubt it's a great action, the hype behind that product was stronger then anything else out there, and by a wide margin. The internet was full of hyperbole and rhetoric when that action first came out, it was unbearable. When people would ask what action is the best/what to buy, people would just reply with one word responses "Impact!", because they couldn't explain why it was better then any other action (I think most responses were seeking validation on their purchase).

While the Impact is certainly a good action, and I wouldn't steer anyone away from it if that's what they had their hearts set on, it was overhyped big time. It's a nice rendition of the R700 two lug push feed action, but doesn't do anything better then a well timed any other modern tier 1 action.

Oh yeah, Curtis actions are also overhyped, but namely because the product quality is not up to par with other actions (and thus not worth the price).
u don't suppose some of the appeal of the impact were the tight tolerances that enabled purchasing prefit off the shelf barrels?

People are going to buy stupid shit if companies manufacture stupid shit, and stupid shit is marketed towards stupid people in mind. Fuel that uncreative spirit. Most of these directly target the typical Fudd.

A person can become one of the sheep and blindly trust a product based on hype, or you can research and buy products that are truly innovative through engineering and practicality (the latter being less important in the civilian realm) and not marketing stupidity.

I present to you, anything that TiborasaurusRex endorses. L...O...L...

u don't suppose some of the appeal of the impact were the tight tolerances that enabled purchasing prefit off the shelf barrels?

That's a great feature, but that's been around long before Impact, and plenty of other actions check that box as well.

ARC, Bighorn, Defiance, Kelblys, Lone Peak, Curtis, Terminus, etc. all sport that same feature. Even Tikka. Kelblys has been doing it since sometime in the 90's.

It's a nice feature no doubt, but not unique to Impact.

To add more on my thought above, there was two things that really helped create hype about the Impact:

1. There was certain prominent people that were pushing the action, building up "hype" for the product. People that Malcom Gladwell would refer to as "product mavens". This brand was very good at getting their actions in the right hands to create publicity. Then ensued all the people piling on social media that just bought an Impact to add to all the rhetoric and hype to seek validation of their latest purchase.

2. "The feel" of the action, accomplished by properly mating up the trigger to the action with the incorporation of the trigger hanger. Coming from an action that wasn't properly mated with the trigger and going to the Impact would probably feel like magic - and I think a lot of people did. However, I would put my Mausingfield, Defiance Deviant and Lone Peak Fuzion actions up against an Impact for "feel" any day of the week. But any of these actions (including Impact) have the potential to feel like absolute hammered dog shit if they are not paired to the trigger correctly.

Like I've stated, the Impact is a great action. It's one of the better renditions of the basic R700 two lug push feed action model. But the initial hype that surrounded the product was far beyond annoying. The way it was hyped it you would think it was the second coming of Jesus - turns out, it was just another great action option that we have these days.

Reactions: blbennett1288
As much as I hate to say it, as there are some good companies/people making them, gamer plates (though I guess tac tables already covered it).

Ran one for a few months. They are nice, but not game changing.

That's a great feature, but that's been around long before Impact, and plenty of other actions check that box as well.

ARC, Bighorn, Defiance, Kelblys, Lone Peak, Curtis, Terminus, etc. all sport that same feature. Even Tikka. Kelblys has been doing it since sometime in the 90's.

It's a nice feature no doubt, but not unique to Impact.
from threads on here that just became available on defiant actions? wasn't something they offered before the rukus they're offering now if i read correctly. Before u sent it to a gunsmith to fit one for you? But let's face it, marketing is behind most successful products. If not, ur just another "same thing different day" . Vortex is another successful marketing endevor. Now ZCO is the craze, next year it will b something else. Better than what was offered last year? Probably not much on most products, but u have to have something new and shiny for the masses to chase. Name of the game

Last edited:
Reactions: C.R. Adams
from threads on here that just became available on defiant actions. wasn't something they offered before the rukus they're offering now if i read correctly. Before u sent it to a gunsmith to spin it up

It's a new thing with Defiance as far as I know, like you pointed out. Just added to a long and ever expanding list of action companies that have that feature.

All of this BS would be damn good contender(s) as well.

This!

To be honest, wasting money on ANYTHING thinking it will help you to be a better shooter without experience. Buy something that you know will fill in a void in your shooting or has a specific role to fill.

Interesting

what about it didn’t float your boat?
Dont get me wrong it a great bipod but in my opinion its overrated and over priced. i had one and sold it because it didn't feel as solid as my Atlas and I believe 90% of people including myself will never need all the adjustablility it offers.

Dont get me wrong it a great bipod but in my opinion its overrated and over priced. i had one and sold it because it didn't feel as solid as my Atlas and I believe 90% of people including myself will never need all the adjustablility it offers.

On a square range off of contrived props the Ckye-pod doesn't really shine. So I agree, for most PRS matches, most people won't utilize all the features of the bipod and it's pretty overkill.

Where this bipod really shines is field oriented matches, where you are battling the terrain. In matches like that, the Ckye-pod has no real peers.

Reactions: MTETM