• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

most popular 308 precision barrel length?

bustin

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 6, 2008
What do you think is the most popular length for a 308 precision barrel? Not a bull barrel, something along the lines of the M110 for weight.

Re: most popular 308 precision barrel length?

18" Seems the most popular but after shooting a 16" DTA Covert I'm pretty sure that 16" is the actual sweetspot for that calibre.

20" is the sweet spot for the majority of applications utilizing 168gr-178gr anything longer will give you diminishing returns and anything less and you will be loosing velocity.

Also depending on your perception of precision will change things. What ranges are you looking to shoot at? What kind of accuracy are you looking for at what ranges? What weapons platform? AR-10? If you are planning on stretching out to the limit of the 308 round I'd really go with a 20" bull barrel. If you are looking into a light barrel hunting rifle shooting out to max of around 600m I see nothing wrong with a 18" light barrel. Note- a light barrel will heat up ALOT quicker than a bull barrel will, negatively effecting the accuracy of the weapon. Just things to think about...there is always a trade off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Wyfox</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The M110 is a bull barrel, I think it's 4lbs at 20" length, with a .875 gas block. I would say a 20" .750 gas block mid weight is the most popular for said caliber.

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/M_110_Service_Rifle-c1246-wp6474.htm </div></div>

I know what Krieger is producing for the AMU and the legal service rifle for use in HP but I don't think that is exactly what Knight is producing.
I've been producing custom barrels for about 15 years. I think a 18" like the SPR weight would be stiff enough to give decent accuracy out 600-800 yards or further than most shoot but there is that crowd that wants it exactly like what the mil uses and since I already make 11 twist 5R barrels making them 20" similar to the M110 would probably be my best bet for sales.
The complaint I hear most about AR10s is the weight so that makes me want to stay to the lighter side of things.

20" for precision purpose these days.

20" for the modern crowd. 18" for the Lady Ga-Ga generation.

I'm an old man and can't bring myself to go less than 20" in .308, can or no can. The 6.8 x 43 will take care of anything I need below 20".

I'm still a 24"-26" believer when it come to 6mm-7.62mm for use out to 1000yds. Even with today's powders.

I wonder if Fred/Sabreco will ever have time to do a 6mm Creedmoor for me in about 24 months? da-da-damn, I luvzmesum ARMALITE AR-10 esoterics.

I'm running a 22" 1/10 Stainless Steel Match Criterion on my Fulton Armory Titan.

24b6vsj.jpg

AvsFan
cool.gif

ETA: Pic
grin.gif

I prefer 16 inch, because the more compact I can have a rifle the better. But I wouldn't go less then 16 because I rather not have a loud and huge fire ball appear when the gun is fired.

Seems like with modern powders you lost 50-80fps from 26 to 20, 50 more going to 18, 50 more to 16 and a hundred going down to 14.5.

I'd probably get 18.

What's with the cool kid remarks?

If 18" inches can do what 20" can do, why not shave 2" off?

and yes, I'm talking about barrels.

I've been thinking of 16" even... it's enough to push a 175smk 800 yards easy

when i had my savage 16" 308 i could hit a 4" swinger at 750 at will, very cool little gun, only reason i got rid of it is cuz i got my AW. the short barrel 308's do well

When you ask 'most popular length', how are you measuring it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: taseal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's with the cool kid remarks?
</div></div>

Just seems like that's the popular craze now whenever I hear barrel talk at the gun store or on the internet.

BTW I have a 16" 308 AR with a Fulton barrel. If you want a handy 308 and aren't big on shooting paper at extended ranges it is a great choice.

Don't use an FSC comp though mine practically made me deaf WHILE wearing ear protection...

Thanks for the votes.

What do I think is the most popular, or what do I personally like?

20 is going to be the most popular of the listed lengths, simply because there are a number of factory rifles in that length....but 16 or 18 would be my preference.

popular or what makes the most sense for a precision rifle? 20" in my opinion because you already lose velocity with a semi-auto, not to mention if you don't handload.

My Precision I'm running a 24" Black Hole 1:11 for straight shooting I have had it out to 1050 yards very consistent with 175 Sierras

I have a 16" Black Hole 1:11 for my suppressed rig its my night hog and crop damage gun where I don't shoot past 500-600 max

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vkc</div><div class="ubbcode-body">popular or what makes the most sense for a precision rifle? 20" in my opinion because you already lose velocity with a semi-auto, not to mention if you don't handload.</div></div>

On a LR Precision gasser, I agree with vkc.

I've heard a lot of talk about 18s lately but it looks like most here still favor a 20" and if it's in the same config as the m110 that will probable help sales too so it looks like 20.

I remember reading something along the lines of why KAC created their sr-25 carbines to be 16" was because it has considerable better maneuverability compared to their 20" systems while you only lose around 100fps in velocity, which is still enough to get easily get out to 800yrds.