• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most productive way to expend 50 handgun rounds.

Patrick_S

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2006
Lunenburg, VT
Times are tough, money is tight, blah. I figure most handgun ammo comes 50 to a box, so I want to base a practice COF off that. I have been looking a different drills and stuff to get an idea of what one should look like. I mixed/mangled a couple together tonight to try out. Here is what I did, mind you I am practicing for self-defense purposes:

Targets are cardboard USPSA type named "A" and "B"
1: One target(A), draw and fire one round. 10yds. Repeat 5 times.

2: Two targets(A+B), draw and fire one on each. 7yds. Repeat 4 times.

3: Two targets(A+B), draw and fire two on each. 7yds. Repeat 4 times.

4: One target(B), weak-hand ready and fire five. 7yds. 1 time.

5: Two targets(A+B), draw and fire one at target A, speed or tac reload, fire one at target B. 7yds. Repeat 3 times

6: Two targets(A+B), draw fire three to body, reload*, two to head. 7yds. Repeat 2 times(one run per target).

*For #6 load mag for slide-lock after first three are fired so that reload is from slide-lock.

When two targets used I placed them about 2yds apart.
For all but #6 a scoring hit is A zone and can be head or body, shooters choice.

I learned that I should have repaired and analyzed between each step to better see my mistakes instead of total scoring at the end.

What do you guys think? Whats good/bad, what should be changed?
I would like to include par times, but I do not own a timer yet and haven't shot enough pistol to know what to set the times at. Any suggestions for times from some of you veteran shooters?
Got any better drills that will make the most out of a box of ammo?

Thank You
Patrick Scott

In case you are wondering... 76% and it was the first time I had ever shot at USPSA targets or fired a handgun with my weak hand.

Re: Most productive way to expend 50 handgun rounds.

If you have something you can put up to simulate cover, try adding that to your drills. You only expose the minimal amount of your body needed to engage the target. You can also practce engaging the target while moving to cover. Just some thoughts to add another element if you have the means.

Live fire only confirms what you learn during dry practice... Not my saying, I stole it from a wiser man.

Having said that I try to spend half of my time on the fundamentals (basics) then the other half out side of my "comfort zone".

Currently at my job we are feeling the crunch and my ammo allotment is not looking good for next year so I am spending a lot of time working on draws and presentation. Dry practice and learning the trigger goes along way in dry practice. So then I will put everyone through a specific drill outside of the "comfort zone" (moving & shooting, shooting under cover, shooting weak side ect...) We confirm everything then with that small amount of ammo I have per officer.

So I guess I would suggest some self evaluation, pick the thing you suck at most, dry practice the piss out of it and then run it live.

To get more bang for my buck I also load the mags a bit light, 4-7 rounds to bring in a lot of reloads.

Thanks,
I wanted to start simple as I am pretty green when it comes to handguns. I did plan on adding movement, but I had not thought about cover.

Patrick Scott

Patrick,

I deal with a lot of shooters (civi, LE and Mil) the draw and reloads (ie; proficient weapons handling) are some of the biggest deficiencies I see across the board.

Re: Most productive way to expend 50 handgun round

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Patrick Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dryfire, yep doing that. I really like the stuff here:
http://www.mattburkett.com/flashfiles/dryfire.html </div></div>

Yep, I know Matt and have done a bit of training with him. He does appreciate dry practice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Patrick,

I deal with a lot of shooters (civi, LE and Mil) the draw and reloads (ie; proficient weapons handling) are some of the biggest deficiencies I see across the board. </div></div>

My draw is pretty smooth due to dryfire practice, but I will admit my reloads suck and I'm working on that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Live fire only confirms what you learn during dry practice... Not my saying, I stole it from a wiser man.

Having said that I try to spend half of my time on the fundamentals (basics) then the other half out side of my "comfort zone".

Currently at my job we are feeling the crunch and my ammo allotment is not looking good for next year so I am spending a lot of time working on draws and presentation. Dry practice and learning the trigger goes along way in dry practice. So then I will put everyone through a specific drill outside of the "comfort zone" (moving & shooting, shooting under cover, shooting weak side ect...) We confirm everything then with that small amount of ammo I have per officer.

So I guess I would suggest some self evaluation, pick the thing you suck at most, dry practice the piss out of it and then run it live.

To get more bang for my buck I also load the mags a bit light, 4-7 rounds to bring in a lot of reloads. </div></div>

+1

I should have mentioned dry fire but I had my mind on live fire exercises.

You will learn a ton from dry firing and the only thing that it will cost you is some strange looks from the ol' lady. I've spent countless hours in the house practicing. Be sure to check your chamber 6-8 times and then RECHECK it.