• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most regretted gun sale of all time... I'll start

jasewhitehead08

03XX
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2008
Alabama
About ten years ago i needed some money to get home from 29 palms. Only had one pistol with me and my jeep. wasn't gonna sell the jeep and the pistol was an HK P7 like new in the box. I sold it for 800 bucks to buy a plane ticket. Kicking myself in the ass ever since.

Well you should have just lived and shit on the streets of LA or Frisco. :) Till you got a grub stake. :)

Reactions: jasewhitehead08
Two that have real regret.
My first firearm that my dad bought for me. He came home with a pair of Marlin model 60's for my brother and I.
I traded mine away back around 88 for a Smith model 10. I didn't pay attention to what he said that day when he asked me if I was sure I wanted to get rid of it.

The other was a late production XP-100 in 223. I sold it to pay for lawyer fees. My oldest daughter brings it up all the time.

BTW, I traded away that model 10 and regret that also.

When I retired from the Army I sold almost all of my target guns to pay off mortgages so I would be debt free. The only one I truly regretted selling was my Grunig and Elmiger 300m Free Rifle that I bought in Switzerland at the Internationale Matchwoche in Zurich.

zurrich123.jpg

Fifteen years later, I really regretted selling it as I was getting back into competitive shooting. I decided to get another one, and put in a saved search on GunBroker. Understand, there are only a couple of these in the U.S. Well, a while later one shows up on my search. Not only was it a Grunig Free Rifle, but it was MY Grunig Free Rifle. There was no mistaking it, it had a unique control sticker on the buttstock. Plus, when I sold it, I didn't include any paperwork which I still had stashed away...receipt, test target with serial number, etc. I ended up paying three times what I sold it for, but it was worth it.

grunig elmiger.jpg

When I retired from the Army I sold almost all of my target guns to pay off mortgages so I would be debt free. The only one I truly regretted selling was my Grunig and Elmiger 300m Free Rifle that I bought in Switzerland at the Internationale Matchwoche in Zurich.

View attachment 7049770

Fifteen years later, I really regretted selling it as I was getting back into competitive shooting. I decided to get another one, and put in a saved search on GunBroker. Understand, there are only a couple of these in the U.S. Well, a while later one shows up on my search. Not only was it a Grunig Free Rifle, but it was MY Grunig Free Rifle. There was no mistaking it, it had a unique control sticker on the buttstock. Plus, when I sold it, I didn't include any paperwork which I still had stashed away...receipt, test target with serial number, etc. I ended up paying three times what I sold it for, but it was worth it.

View attachment 7049771

small world, glad you got it back.

My dad gave my brother and I AR 7s. I needed beer money way back when. Now I don't drink and no rifle.

Mint Colt Trooper MK III. .357

Rare Cyclops 8” ported slab side .357

Those hurt to think about.

I still gotta say mine is that replica 1858 Army revolver that I talk about all the time. If only I knew at the time I could get a replacement cylinder. :(

Reactions: Bender
I rarely sell guns, but there are many I regret never buying. The Colt Python be one.

Only gun I ever regret selling was a Remington 870 that my parents bought me for Christmas when I was 15 it was the first firearm I ever owned. I can't even count the number of times I dry racked that gun in the house just to hear the sound of it until I could go shoot it again. I know of an old friend from high school who has it. He said he would give it back to me. We just haven't gotten together on it yet. My dad passed away in 2016 and I have really been wanting to get it back ever since.

My mil surp M1917 Enfield that I bought off a fellow shooter at our range, one year ago for $750. A rifle that he bought off a WWII vet that was a plane mechanic for Chennault's Flying Tigers.

A month ago...the same guy claimed that we made a verbal agreement when I bought the rifle --- That if he wanted it back...I would have to sell him back the Sgt. York rifle. So he said he wanted the rifle back. I don't remember that verbal agreement we had made, but regrettably...I let him buy back that sweet shooting rifle for $750.

Last edited:
Ruger M77/22-250 Varmint purchased new in early 80's..... tack driver.
Colt Python 6" .357 purchased new from the Custom Shop.
Colt Diamondback 6" .22 unfired NIB
Colt Diamondback 4" .22 tuned by a competent pistolsmith.
:cry:

Reactions: Bender
Very early Ruger Security Six 357
MOD 94 44-40
Marlin Lever 44MAG

Don't really regret selling anything, have some regrets buying stuff and realizing its not what i want then selling it. DSA Para Fal, Scar 17, LWRCI Repr, M1a, Barrett M99, EDM wind runner, two 6.5 grendel uppers, 6.8 upper, 5.7 fn pistol, p226, para dual stack .45, remington r1 .45 springfield xdm subcompact, and a couple of savage rifles.

Only gun I ever regret selling was a Remington 870 that my parents bought me for Christmas when I was 15 it was the first firearm I ever owned. I can't even count the number of times I dry racked that gun in the house just to hear the sound of it until I could go shoot it again. I know of an old friend from high school who has it. He said he would give it back to me. We just haven't gotten together on it yet. My dad passed away in 2016 and I have really been wanting to get it back ever since.
Do this NOW, while you still can. You never know what might happen to him, tomorrow.

First is a Springfield M1 Garand I picked up at Roses for $300, had a loose chamber so I sold it off rather than rebarreling it. Shortly soon after the price on them sky rocketed.

Second and third came while was between work and taking college classes yet still paying $2k a month in child support out of stubbornness and stupidity, sold my USMC marked M40X, last summer went the SCAR 17s. The 40x at least stayed in the “family” as it went to another HOG. Work is good to me again, so nothing more is disappearing from the collection, just have some glass to replace on four naked rifles.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
S&W model 19 .357 Magnum sold to lgs 150.00 the clerk tell the owner I'll take this one went home...... Took my tail out from between my legs and took it in the ass gun was worth $400.00 back then, mint in the box less than 50 rounds thru it...... I have never sold another for lack of $$$ since, My ass still hurts. ?

Last edited:
Reactions: cornhusker86
Yea, I concur pretty much all of them ! Never sell your guns it's not the answer.

Can't list just one;

4" stainless King Cobra

Big Bore 94 in 375 Win.

M1A Super Match w/ Hart bbl.

About ten years ago i needed some money to get home from 29 palms. Only had one pistol with me and my jeep. wasn't gonna sell the jeep and the pistol was an HK P7 like new in the box. I sold it for 800 bucks to buy a plane ticket. Kicking myself in the ass ever since.

Me too. Mine was an HK P7M13 almost 20 years ago. I was going through a divorce and just getting out of law enforcement at the time. Still kicking myself!

6" Dan Wesson 15-2VH .357 magnum revolver. Pawned it for food money late 1970's when we were living in a car. My Father in Law regretted me losing it so bad he bought me one just like it and left it under his bed with my name on it to inherit when he passed away.

Regret losing the first one. I'll never part with the second one till I die and leave it under the bed for my Nephew.

VooDoo

I sell in order to buy other guns...but I always have that sellers remorse after I do. Then I look at the new one and ponder if it was worth it...?‍♂️

Reactions: abn31c
A Parker D-grade 20 ga that was basically new with the hang tag. Finest Parker I ever held and I have quite a few of them. Sold for a boatload of money... but it would now be worth 4x the boatload... and I'll never have another one like it.

Then again, it funded some other stuff that has done quite well and I've enjoyed more because I've been able to shoot it!

Cheers,

Sirhr

6" Dan Wesson 15-2VH .357 magnum revolver. Pawned it for food money late 1970's when we were living in a car. My Father in Law regretted me losing it so bad he bought me one just like it and left it under his bed with my name on it to inherit when he passed away.

Regret losing the first one. I'll never part with the second one till I die and leave it under the bed for my Nephew.

VooDoo

I sold the same weapon for nearly same reason. Sold it and 2 good cow horses to get money for wedding ring and license. 1979

Reactions: Vodoun daVinci
I didn’t sell it but I regret not buying a LAR Grizzly 5 inch barreled 45 win mag. I already had, and still have, a 6.5 inch model and couldn’t force myself to buy the new in the box 5 inch model that had a 357 mag conversion kit with it. I’ve been kicking myself in the ass ever since.

I've never sold one, but there was that terrible boating accident when I was moving them all to the cabin on that island.................:(

Reactions: Havoc_1_Actual