• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most reliable trigger?

Northland

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 16, 2010
Louisiana
My surgeon is coming together pretty good... still gathering parts. About to buy a trigger. I heard that jewells have trouble in dust, dirt, etc. I even heard that a drop of oil in the wrong spot on a jewell may cause a mess up.

So I'm looking for the trigger that can take the most out door weather, dirt, dust, and mud.

Thanks

Re: Most reliable trigger?

200+ rounds on my Jewell mostly from the ground. I have paid no attention to it at all and it feels and functions exactly like it did on day 1.

The only problem I have with it is it makes every other trigger I have feel like I need to hook up a chain to the truck to get the dang rifle to go off. And some of those triggers are pretty good.

I have had very good results with my Huber 2 stage triggers.

The old Remington triggers have proven to work well with a bit of up keep. I recently replaced an after market trigger with my old Remington and couldn't be happier.

Good luck

I have never had any problems with my jewels and like them I guess because of that but they don't feel like they're super tough. I might be wrong. I have thought about changing out but like I said, they have preformed flawless so far.

If/when the Hide smith's chime in....I have generally seen the Old Style Remington trigger at 2.5lbs to be the most reliable trigger. I still keep a spare one with me while shooting just because it sucks to have a weekend of shooting cut short because your 11oz "Custom" trigger won't keep your firing pin back anymore.

I ran a 5 1/2 lb Rem Old trigger for a few months, it was really clean and I never took the time to test it and was really suprised when I read the guage because I was used to the trigger and liked a deliberate pull weight....down to around 2.5 or 3 lbs now and it is noticably lighter....heavier trigger pull seems to locate "shot pulling" for me as well.

The overtravel and sear engagement seemed to make more of a consistant trigger pull for me than the actual weight.

Short answer: Old Style Remington trigger at a "field" weight.

I would say old style Remington trigger. Maybe Huber 2 stage trigger but i have not used one ever. But what i seen on paper i really like it.

Maybe LL could make short list of "shit that fails"?
I bet he has seen plenty of equiment fail.

I have about 4,000 rounds on my F-class rig (multiple barrels) all shot prone and have not had a single problem with my Jewell trigger. I pretty much ignore the trigger when cleaning. Many of the older shooters shooting a Jewell carry a can of liquid lighter fluid that they use to flush the trigger out if it hangs up.

wade

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GreatGonzo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">200+ rounds on my Jewell mostly from the ground. I have paid no attention to it at all and it feels and functions exactly like it did on day 1.

The only problem I have with it is it makes every other trigger I have feel like I need to hook up a chain to the truck to get the dang rifle to go off. And some of those triggers are pretty good.</div></div>

Trigger pull weight and trigger quality are two very different things. But it's good to see the Jewel has survived the intense reliability testing.

I have all old style Remington triggers in my rifles at the moment and they are serving me well. I have had experience with the x-mark, Rifle Basics, and Timney as well. My favorite is the Timney, the wide shoe is great and it broke very clean. The rifle basics was awful in my experience. It had a ton of creep and over travel. The X-mark was good for a while but one day it decided to get about 3 lbs. heavier and stayed there. I would suggest Timney if you are looking for a good reliable trigger. JAA

What are your qualifications for reliable? Always goes click when you pull it? Never goes bang when you don't? Works frozen stiff? Works buried in mud? Always has a consistent trigger pull weight?

If you have some sort of specific reliability issue you need to address then you're going to need a design geared towards that issue. Otherwise I don't think "trigger reliability" is probably going to be a prime differentiator among the major options.

Thousands of rounds through my shilen and no probs from the time i set it years ago.

I have at least 2k rounds down the tube since I replaced my remington factory trigger with a jewel. It still feels as crisp as the day I got it!