• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most rigid handguard/upper

flyfisherman246

Private
Minuteman
May 26, 2017
Looking for the most rigid upper/handguard setup for an ar15. Something that will allow the most potential accuracy out of the barrel. I have a DD quad rail but it doesn't clear an adjustable gas block under the rail and looking to run mid to intermediate for a 16" barrel.

I also have an slr handguard with a (no idea who made it) upper. This also runs into the same problem of fitting an adjustable gas block under the rail.

I have an lmt mws with a bartlein barrel that is completely predictable and stack rounds just like a bolt gun. I have never seen a gas gun shoot with this kind of consistency and I'm thinking the secret is in the monolithic upper.

What type of upper receiver/handguard combo can I do to make a rifle that shoots like my lmt?

Yeah I really do like their system, but also not really a fan of their triangular handguard. I know I'm being picky.

Hodge wedgelock, KAC urx4 and Geissele mk1, 2, 4, & 8.

The two most rigid uppers I can think of are the Aero Precision M4E1, and Vltor VIS upper system. They both use proprietary handguard mounting but have a large selection of styles and lengths.

Both offers have a lot of material behind the barrel mounting area, in front of the ejection port, which is typically the weak point.

The Aero Precision option is very affordable and a good foundation for a very solid upper receiver system. The m4e1 handguards have plenty of room in them for adjustable gas blocks. One of the most accurate ARs I own is built on an aero upper.

That being said a quality barrel is the foundation and most important piece of AR accuracy.

Aero Precision
apar600201ac-ar15-m4e1-enhanced-upper-receiver-black-1.jpg

Reactions: nrspence
What gas blocks aren't fitting under SLR HG's? They're tight but I've seen plenty of AGB's under SLR's in the wild.

Reactions: rpoL98
I've been through a lot of slr handguard/gasblock set ups. There just isn't enough room under them for their own adjustable gas blocks when that barrel is whipping.

I'm going to look seriously into that vltor system. That looks like a nice setup. Is anyone else running one? What do you think?

No mention of the mega megalithic? I don't think anything can beat the rigidity of a true monolithic upper. Mega makes them, I know there are a couple others too.

I love my MRP. 224 Valkyrie is money out to 800 with Hornady 88gr factory ammo. Mine is the 20" and I'm not the best shooter. I actually just picked up a SLK side upper for the 224 barrel. Plan on SBR-ing the lower and using my CQB upper for an 10.5 or 11.5.

@flyfisherman246 The sale still seems to be going on. I'd jump quick if interested. Both the LM8 and SLK uppers are on sale.

The discontinued Mega Monolithic can still be found on the classifieds sometimes, don't think anything else would be close to a true monolithic upper AND handguard all made out of one block of aluminum.

Uses standard barrels, too.

It’s mentioned above but this isn’t a triangle. It’s a normal fore end connection.

Reactions: FishinGuns
No mention of the mega megalithic? I don't think anything can beat the rigidity of a true monolithic upper. Mega makes them, I know there are a couple others too.
The discontinued Mega Monolithic can still be found on the classifieds sometimes, don't think anything else would be close to a true monolithic upper AND handguard all made out of one block of aluminum.

Uses standard barrels, too.

There out there still

It really depends on what you want it for. Mounting IR lasers or a PVS22 type item? If that is the case then a solid picatiny rail is your best bet. The LMT monolithic rail and the LaRue Stealth 2.0 are by far the best. After that look at the Vltor MUR and LaRue rail.

Stay away from 2 peice rails. They are by far weaker and do break. I have also had issues with Geissele rails not being very stable. I can tell you that the BCM rails flex a lot..... i mean a lot.

Reactions: Cgw1984
While I have no scientific measuring devices to prove the rigidity, I've been entirely pleased with the ability of things attached to my several Troy VTAC Alpha rails to hold zero. I run run lasers way out at the end on them, am not especially kind to the guns, and haven't re-zeoed for years, still get 300 yd hits with them. So, pretty confident.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I narrowed it down to the vltor vis and the Larue stealth 2.0. What are the pro and cons of each? I'm looking for a rock solid spr type rifle that's going to shoot like a boltgun (like my lmt mws does.) Which or these two systems would you go with and why?

Went with the larue. Thanks for the help. I always like that system, just not the rest of the components of the upper kit. Looking forward to it. Thanks!!!

Would love to know how the larue turned out. Also, do you recall if it was a snug/thermal fit with the barrel installation?

I am very happy with the larue 2.0 upper. It is absolutely rock solid. By far the most rigid system I have found. Consistency is definitely there and would recommend it.

Reactions: ccasanova
I am very happy with the larue 2.0 upper. It is absolutely rock solid. By far the most rigid system I have found. Consistency is definitely there and would recommend it.
Thanks for the response. Do you remember if it was snug getting the barrel into the upper? I'm torn right now between using a thermofit upper receiver (like jp or bcm) for an accurate bedding, or getting a monolothic or handguard-attached-directly-to-the-upper receiver type system like the larue 2.0 or the seekins.

• Haha
Reactions: Cgw1984
Looking for the most rigid upper/handguard setup for an ar15. Something that will allow the most potential accuracy out of the barrel. I have a DD quad rail but it doesn't clear an adjustable gas block under the rail and looking to run mid to intermediate for a 16" barrel.

I also have an slr handguard with a (no idea who made it) upper. This also runs into the same problem of fitting an adjustable gas block under the rail.

I have an lmt mws with a bartlein barrel that is completely predictable and stack rounds just like a bolt gun. I have never seen a gas gun shoot with this kind of consistency and I'm thinking the secret is in the monolithic upper.

What type of upper receiver/handguard combo can I do to make a rifle that shoots like my lmt?

Any reason why you would not look at the MRP/MLR?

It was a snug fit with the bat barrel extention but defiantly wasn’t a thermo fit. It shoots very well.

I have and love the mws from lmt, but trying to avoid the mrp barrel extension.

Hey Fly now that you've had that setup for a while would you do anything differently? I've got a Core 12.5 waiting on a home and that Stealth 2.0 is calling to me. The problem is they're $500 bucks now... Still worth?

Gotta love a good necrothread.

Reactions: Milf Dots
Hey Fly now that you've had that setup for a while would you do anything differently? I've got a Core 12.5 waiting on a home and that Stealth 2.0 is calling to me. The problem is they're $500 bucks now... Still worth?

Absolutely, the LT Stealth 2.0 os awesome.

OP?????! I'd also like to hear from the OP.

Believe Doc was just saying it's still worth it. Considering he's a name I recognize across several forums now I can still take value from that. Gracias.

Absolutely, the LT Stealth 2.0 os awesome.
OP?????! I'd also like to hear from the OP.

I started watching this thread a year ago (almost to the day) and since then I've installed two of the larue stealth 2.0 upper/handguard combos. Having had them, I can reassure you both that they are fantastic and very rigid. A word of caution, however, they aren't super lightweight, nor are they thermofit. For precision, you probably can't do better than this set, but I would shim your barrel extension with some thin stainless steel shim stock before installing the barrel. Also, check your gas block dimensions before you buy (or get a small gas block). I had to file down the inside of one of my handguard to get enough clearance for the gas block.

All considered, they are worth it and the best "monolithic" set out there (I've had a seekins too, and I prefer the larue). I have a third upper/handguard set that is sitting around doing nothing, so if you want to skip the two month wait time let me know and I'll sell it to you, but I don't plan on losing money on it. It's mlok, 13". I bought straight from Larue in the spring.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think I narrowed it down to the vltor vis and the Larue stealth 2.0. What are the pro and cons of each? I'm looking for a rock solid spr type rifle that's going to shoot like a boltgun (like my lmt mws does.) Which or these two systems would you go with and why?
I thought that the vltor is the thickest forged receiver on the market.

I started watching this thread a year ago (almost to the day) and since then I've installed two of the larue stealth 2.0 upper/handguard combos. Having had them, I can reassure you both that they are fantastic and very rigid. A word of caution, however, they aren't super lightweight, nor are they thermofit. For precision, you probably can't do better than this set, but I would shim your barrel extension with some thin stainless steel shim stock before installing the barrel. Also, check your gas block dimensions before you buy (or get a small gas block). I had to file down the inside of one of my handguard to get enough clearance for the gas block.

All considered, they are worth it and the best "monolithic" set out there (I've had a seekins too, and I prefer the larue). I have a third upper/handguard set that is sitting around doing nothing, so if you want to skip the two month wait time let me know and I'll sell it to you, but I don't plan on losing money on it. It's mlok, 13". I bought straight from Larue in the spring.
That is reassuring to hear, although I need the 10.5" handguard for my build. Criterion suggests using Loctite Green 609 for the barrel extension, but the idea of using a shim makes just as much sense to me. Given my penchant for overlubrication I'm sure I'd make a mess of it.

The Core barrels use a .625 gas block and I'm using the Vltor low profile block so I don't think clearance will be a problem.

Believe Doc was just saying it's still worth it. Considering he's a name I recognize across several forums now I can still take value from that. Gracias.
I don't have any issues with Doc! I was just emphasizing that hearing from the OP would be great.

That is reassuring to hear, although I need the 10.5" handguard for my build. Criterion suggests using Loctite Green 609 for the barrel extension, but the idea of using a shim makes just as much sense to me. Given my penchant for overlubrication I'm sure I'd make a mess of it.

The Core barrels use a .625 gas block and I'm using the Vltor low profile block so I don't think clearance will be a problem.

Use the shim stock. I used to do both (shim and green loctite), but after prying too many barrels out of uppers and damaging one upper with the loctite, I only use shims unless it is for a hardcore precision build where I don't really plan on ever replacing the barrel in that upper.