• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Most stable power for 7 Mag?

Hawk Gunner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 29, 2007
Mobile, AL
I have a 7MAG that I primarily only use for my Colorado hunts. Most of my practice time is at 25' elevation and 85+ degrees. My actual use is at 7500' elevation and typically 32 or below. I'm shooting 160Grn Accubonds. I'm willing to trade of some velocity for consistency and stability.

I worked up a safe, good shooting load over the winter with RL22 and went to practice in May and it was way over pressured.

What powder would you recommend?

Re: Most stable power for 7 Mag?

Double based powder, not a big surprise here. Good powders, but temp sensitivity is an issue with them.

Take a look at either H1000 or Retumbo. These are two of the most temp stable powders I've ever seen or worked with. Should be well suited to the 7mm Mag, especially with the heavier bullets.

I also use Retumbo for my AI 7mm Rem Mag. I worked up a load for it recently and it shoots one ragged hole at 100 yards with Berger 180 gr hybrids at 2900 fps at 5000 ft altitude.

Hodgdon Extreme Powders...H1000 has worked well for my 7 RM

I gave up on RL-22 long ago for the same reason.
Retumbo is your friend.
H1000, H4831 & H4350 all work as well.

I tried the 160 gr Accubonds and gave up on them, just could not get consistent results with them.

75gr H1000, 140gr btsp oal 3.240, is my go to hunting load and the most accurate that I found with two finicky rifles I have.

Many air rifles do the same thing. How well does the bullet and load perform at the distance its sought to be used?

OP; the right load method will produce a stable charge weight. All propellants are unstable insofar as ambient temperature changes produce pressure and velocity changes regardless of propellant. Some propellants are more or less sensitive than some others, but the Optimal Charge Weight will be a charge that will alleviate ambient temperature changes that affect velocity changes.

H4350 in 7mmRM 26" barrel I can get:
a) 3650 fps with 120 gr Nos Bal Tip
b) 3375 fps with 150 gr Bal Tip

There are white lies, lies, damn lies, and then there are 7mmRM published loads.

I shot a number of animals with the 150 gr in 2011.
I think the 7mmRM gives me the optimum range, power, and accuracy for the weight I can carry.

I am running the 162 amax with h1000 and am very happy with it.

I always got great accuracy with the rl22 but yeah, that temp sensitivity going from 65-105 during the morning at a match will kill you! Haven't tried h1000 but retumbo has worked great for me!