• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Motor Oil?????

STI_1911_Guy

Sergeant
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2011
Michigan
I have heard of some people using motor oil in there AR-15/AR-10's. Are they nuts or does this really work????

Re: Motor Oil?????

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sawhornsoff</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mobil 1 works pretty well for me. Cheap also relative to designer gun lubes. </div></div>
+1 for Mobil 1 I use it o my Full Auto's all the time.

synthetic ATF...just as good as Mobil 1 with a better detergent package......also less than a third of the cost of most "gucci" lubes

So i guess its not just a myth. Do you guys just dip your bolt carrier group right in it or just rub some on and how much do you use? Is it a pain to clean out?

A good synthetic will work well on guns, resists heat and it's cheap. If you run a motorcycle oil, or oil made for diesel engines (Rotella) They have a lot of zinc and Phosphorus to keep things sliding at high temps.

Gun oils are just over priced petroleum in a small bottle with an expensive price tag.

I use Lubriplate 130-A grease (M14 grease) on my AR BCGs. Very little apparent wear as compared to CLP. The stuff stays put, even after 100's of rounds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STI_1911_Guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So i guess its not just a myth. Do you guys just dip your bolt carrier group right in it or just rub some on and how much do you use? Is it a pain to clean out? </div></div>

I just put it in some smaller dropper type bottles and use it like any other lube.

I use mobil one as well. Cleans up very easily. Seems to last longer and stay in place better than lighter firearms specific lube. Still functions well in the cold too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Lubriplate 130-A grease (M14 grease) on my AR BCGs. Very little apparent wear as compared to CLP. The stuff stays put, even after 100's of rounds. </div></div>

Given that your bolt group operates in the upper receiver on four very thin rails, greasing it seems to be a waste. I would think that an oil which can be redistributed during the cycle of operation would be a better choice. The roller and and track on an M14 is completely different environment and I believe a bad justification for using grease on your bolt group.

We were having trouble with a .22lr m16. Got a little ATF off of the dipstick and it ran like a champ!

I'm going to Mobil1 in the future.

hope this helps
Trilogymac

I use both motor oil and grease. AR bcg get hot. Sewing maching (sarcasm) ail is too thin a viscosity to stay put on a ar bcg. But I even switched to 90W synthetic gear oil for the tight spots like the ejector spring. For one, its only $10 for quart.
Grease the lugs, cam pin, rail and coat the carrier and the bolt. While you're at it, slop a bunch of grease in the trigger area but not on the hammer top. Just do it.
wink.gif

BTW, my newphew works for a Mobil lubricant distributor. They give away ketchup sized packets of samples. Ask 'em for synthetic, or the heavy duty "tacky" kind. Most of these bcg's need to decelerate anyway.

And the oil doesn't have to be Mobil, obviously.
wink.gif

Since we're talking about bcg, I learned this from Zediker; I picked up some GM top engine cleaner from the local parts department. About $12, aerosol. Saturate the bcg, leave to penetrate....makes easy work of cleaning. Seemed like gunk cleaned easily with a paper towel, but that might also be because of liberal use of grease too in the first place.

CAVEAT: Only a trace amount of grease on the bottom of the carrier. Grease has no place on a round and into the chamber.

I like this idea for cost purposes. I am going to have to try this with the grease and the oil. How about airborne debris? we constantly have dust and sand blowing aroud here, would it cause more of an issue with grease and motor oil than lightweight gun oil?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: m_gale</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbsinh20</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use Lubriplate 130-A grease (M14 grease) on my AR BCGs. Very little apparent wear as compared to CLP. The stuff stays put, even after 100's of rounds. </div></div>

Given that your bolt group operates in the upper receiver on four very thin rails, greasing it seems to be a waste. I would think that an oil which can be redistributed during the cycle of operation would be a better choice. The roller and and track on an M14 is completely different environment and I believe a bad justification for using grease on your bolt group. </div></div>

I got this idea from a post by a guy that runs a tactical training program, where his rifles get what can only be described as an extraordinary amount of use. Tried it when I bought my first AR, and have been using it ever since.

One thing you'll discover with CLP is that it evaporates over time. I can grab any of my ARs that haven't been shot since last fall and they're ready to run. If I'd have lubed them with CLP, they'd be bone dry right now after sitting all winter.

The BCG bearing surfaces seem to be wearing at a lesser rate than others I've seen with a lower round count than mine.

The only concern I would have is using grease in sub-zero weather. The rest of the time, it sure seems to work pretty well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">synthetic ATF...just as good as Mobil 1 with a better detergent package......also less than a third of the cost of most "gucci" lubes </div></div>
Unlike motor oil ATF has no detergents; perhaps you meant dispersents?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: smokshwn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">synthetic ATF...just as good as Mobil 1 with a better detergent package......also less than a third of the cost of most "gucci" lubes </div></div>
Unlike motor oil ATF has no detergents; perhaps you meant dispersents? </div></div>

Turk,

My information comes from an aquaintance who is a ME who owns his own forensic engineering company. I can concede that it may be flawed, but I have a pretty high level of trust in him, and one of his areas of focus is automotive failures.

My understanding is that the Boron, Calcium, and Magnesium additives in the ATF act as detergents as well as the Calcium being a dispersant.

Is this accurate?

ATF usually has much more modest levels of dispersant, and very low levels of detergents. The main point of these being in motor oils is to capture combustion byproducts that make it into the oil, which is of less concern in ATF. I doubt you'd notice a functional difference using either as gun lube.

John

edit: the 'net is full of people saying ATF is high in detergents, but it's an urban legend. Check out, for example, Myth #12: http://www.texlube.com/oilmyths.htm or http://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=729268&page=1

smokshwn,
I can't speak as to the accuracy of your statement. All I can state is the information that I gathered from engineers at AMSOIL and MOBIL. Personaly it took me a half hour to figure out wtf the difference was!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Turk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">smokshwn,
I can't speak as to the accuracy of your statement. All I can state is the information that I gathered from engineers at AMSOIL and MOBIL. Personaly it took me a half hour to figure out wtf the difference was!
grin.gif
</div></div>

Me too...sometimes I fall asleep during the conversation and never realize that I miss something
laugh.gif

Ooooh. That ATF...
wink.gif
Works wonders on cleaning carbon from AR parts. Mobil 1 Synthetic 0 weight works well on the gas rings too.

Think I'm going to have to buy some little ketchup bottles tomorrow. That was an interesting read. I'm wondering if in COLD applications, if blue hydraulic oil (Meyers or Western...plow pump oil) would work really well as it is essentially trans fluid with water dispersing additives and some freaky antifreeze agent as well.

We used Mobil 1 on issued german MG34(converted from 8x57 to 7.62NATO) in the Norwegian national guard. Mobil 1 was the best lubrication to use on these beautifully made MG in temeperatures down to -35C. When the MG34 was replaced my the MG3(MG42)we still continiued to use Mobile 1.

If it's colder than -35C it is actually better to boil all parts in water to get rid of all lube and run the autos completely dry. In this config an AG47 or MG3(MG42) will work down to -50C. This is an old russian trick..

Just remember to store the weapons outside the tent :)

Here is a website to a few 'homebrewed' firearm lubes.

www.frfrogspad.com/homemade.com

My brother and I had the Mobile 1 synthetic oil and synthetic ATF recommended to us by a Sniper School instructor. He got it from a Lucas Oil technician. We have been using it for awhile and it looks and feels like the Lucas product. Use it mainly as gun oil for lubing. I found a recipe for ED's Red that is pretty fair bore cleaner. I believe it is alright for getting carbon out but not so well for copper fouling so I still use Sweet's for that. I use ED's Red to clean the bolt assembly out on my AR then lube with the Lucas after. I also shoot pistols abit at my club also revolvers and semi's and I like using Reminton's Action cleaner in the spray can to hose out the carbon from the cylinders and the chamber area on my semiautos, 10/22s that are a pain to clean then re-oil. I been thinking of switching to spray carberator cleaner to substitute for the Reminton product. I still do a good cleaning on my pistols later but I usually do the quick clean at the range before I leave.

My 2 cents worth!

+1 on the Mobile 1. I've used wheel bearing grease also on the inside of the upper along with the oil. Just a small thin film of it goes a long way. It gets filthy, but my rifle has not stopped running yet and it's simple to wipe out. Just another option I guess...

would someone like to do a step by step with pictures? that would be a amazing sticky!!!!.... I am a visual person, so how much to use and were to place would be very nice. Other wise I am going to open the dust cover and poor a quart or so in...

that was a joke