• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mount for an ATACR 7-35 on a Barrett MRAD

mike10

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2019
Hey guys. Going to snag a Barrett MRAD tomorrow and I'm debating between a Spuhr mount and a Larue LT845 for my ATACR 7-35. I know both are excellent, but I'm leaning toward the LT845 because I like the QD feature and Todd Hodnett says it's the mount he finds best retains the zero on his rifle.

Would love some input. Thanks.

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Hey guys. Going to snag a Barrett MRAD tomorrow and I'm debating between a Spuhr mount and a Larue LT845 for my ATACR 7-35. I know both are excellent, but I'm leaning toward the LT845 because I like the QD feature and Todd Hodnett says it's the mount he finds best retains the zero on his rifle.

Do you really need a QD mount for your application?

QD---MRAD. Whole Lotta nope, in my book. Put the best glass on it you can afford. Use the two or three rounds it takes to rezero when you change calibers.

Last edited:
Universal QD kit ...(y)
SGDMRC31RK.jpg

Last edited:
I have spuhr mounts on my atacr’s. I have however cracked the crossbar while torquing to spec.

Reactions: mike10
Do you really need a QD mount for your application?
No need, but I like the thought of easy removal -- especially if the engineering on it is superior and it holds zero. My main concern here is a mount that will maintain zero best. QD is just the cream on top if I can swing it.

Last edited:
No need, but I like the thought of easy removal -- especially is the engineering on it is superior and it holds zero. My main concern her is a mount that will maintain zero best. QD is just the cream on top if I can swing it.

You don't need QD to return to 0. Any of the quality mounts will return to 0 perfectly fine. Never once have I ever needed to have a QD mount on any of my scopes and I have gone through many. If anything, non-QD mounts will hold 0 better.

Reactions: BurtG and mike10
No need, but I like the thought of easy removal -- especially is the engineering on it is superior and it holds zero. My main concern her is a mount that will maintain zero best. QD is just the cream on top if I can swing it.

Everyone thinks it's a great idea until they learn it's not. Get a solid mount and torque it down properly. I would never recommend a QD mount on a precision rifle. No need for one.

NF UltraMount and a set of fix it sticks for it. That’s all you need. It’s up to you if you want 0MOA or 20MOA but you don’t need a QD mount.

I have the NF UM with my 735 ATACR on my AXSR. That shit doesn’t move despite bouncing around in the truck in the desert or banging on shit at matches. It’s a really solid mount.

You’re putting it on an MRAD and you should always have a set of tools with your rifle, so a socket (aka your QD tool) isn’t taking up any extra room.

Get Fix It Sticks. So easy when torquing.

OP same to you.
I have the bench kit and all the other limiters they offer. And a snap on 1/4 drive for anything alittle bigger. I have a big mac bit driver set so im pretty set. But this little snap on kit id never seen before and kinda like that it has sockets and bits in a small kit

Reactions: Rob01
I have the bench kit and all the other limiters they offer. And a snap on 1/4 drive for anything alittle bigger. I have a big mac bit driver set so im pretty set. But this little snap on kit id never seen before and kinda like that it has sockets and bits in a small kit

That’s why I like my Fix It Sticks kit. Has every attachment I will need for my rifles and scopes in one small pouch.

I am getting my mrad in a few days and ordered a 7 x 35 atacr. I was looking for this question and someone pointed it to me. ( thanks!!)

Does a sphur make a added moa mount that i should consider?

I was thinking of the qd mount but pretty sure i wont have to swap optics to another gun. Hmmm...🤔

Quick semi-related question.
Could i mount a optic to a mount separately and then attach that whole unit to a gun?

I have a 4.5 x 27.5 vortex that i will be using while waiting on the NF. I know placement is important but my gunsmith does have tools to mount optics to guns. ( my other mount is some type of QD mount) . Could i give him the vortex and mount, have him mount it, give it back to me and just find the placement in my home?

Thanks again!!!

I know placement is important but my gunsmith does have tools to mount optics to guns. ( my other mount is some type of QD mount) . Could i give him the vortex and mount, have him mount it, give it back to me and just find the placement in my home?

Thanks again!!!

Main issue is...If you don't have torque-limiting tools your self (ie, the "tools to mount optics to guns"), you won't be able to move the optic around without running into issues about torque control. Best option in this case is to get the smith to do a full setup. If that is not possible (ie because the rifle is being shipped from far away), its not really a problem to learn to DIY, which is what most people end up doing.

Reactions: BurtG
I have spuhr mounts on my atacr’s. I have however cracked the crossbar while torquing to spec.
Same here util they beefed them up, their C/S from that experience can only be equalled by Zermatt Arms in my dealings.
I had two mounts of that type, only had one crack, sent me out replacements for both immediately.
Pete

I am getting my mrad in a few days and ordered a 7 x 35 atacr. I was looking for this question and someone pointed it to me. ( thanks!!)

Does a sphur make a added moa mount that i should consider?

I was thinking of the qd mount but pretty sure i wont have to swap optics to another gun. Hmmm...🤔

Quick semi-related question.
Could i mount a optic to a mount separately and then attach that whole unit to a gun?

I have a 4.5 x 27.5 vortex that i will be using while waiting on the NF. I know placement is important but my gunsmith does have tools to mount optics to guns. ( my other mount is some type of QD mount) . Could i give him the vortex and mount, have him mount it, give it back to me and just find the placement in my home?

Thanks again!!!
I just got the Nightforce 20 MOA FDE Ultramount. I’ll let you know how it performs.

Same here util they beefed them up, their C/S from that experience can only be equalled by Zermatt Arms in my dealings.
I had two mounts of that type, only had one crack, sent me out replacements for both immediately.
Pete
Mine was the beefed up version

IMG_3537.jpeg
IMG_3539.jpeg

• Wow
Reactions: BurtG and Rhed
Oh...... That's not great.
Assuming you're getting looked after?
Still a PITA though.....
Below is a link to the original post if you want to look

thank you for all the assistance. I did pick this up:

Spuhr SP-4602 FDE​

should be here in a few days. Looking at the bipod and a tool kit.

Lots of stuff to read and i need to take better notes.

But i do appreciate the help and none of that use the search button (which i get but ... sorry)

More questions to follow i am sure!

again. thank you!!!!

Semper Fi.

I must be the only paranoid person here. I like the ADM mounts. Yes, quick detach is necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to risk splashing a drop of cleaning fluid on any of my 3 NF ATACR 7X35 scopes be it Hoppes, Patch Out or Thorro Clean. Yes, they have lens caps. The rifles are just easier to clean without the scope. All are shot at a 600 yard range where no wind zeros are basically impossible to get. No matter what the wind, 2 sighters will get you a first shot X if you do your part. What's the issue with QD? If mine were hunting rifles, and shot at shorter distances, I'd bet the return to zero would give kill shots every time after removal.

Personally, I'm suspect of any rings or mounts that aren't QD. To each his own.

I must be the only paranoid person here. I like the ADM mounts. Yes, quick detach is necessary. I'll be damned if I'm going to risk splashing a drop of cleaning fluid on any of my 3 NF ATACR 7X35 scopes be it Hoppes, Patch Out or Thorro Clean. Yes, they have lens caps. The rifles are just easier to clean without the scope. All are shot at a 600 yard range where no wind zeros are basically impossible to get. No matter what the wind, 2 sighters will get you a first shot X if you do your part. What's the issue with QD? If mine were hunting rifles, and shot at shorter distances, I'd bet the return to zero would give kill shots every time after removal.

First, how are you getting cleaning fluid all over your glass? That makes zero sense...

Second why no QD, because not all rails are the same! To simply put it. Use fix it sticks, you spend 15 extra seconds to torque down your mount.... then you know it's to spec using a torque wrench

Funny coming from the guy recommending a vertical split mount

what does your cleaning regimen look like that removing and rezeroing is easier than using the lens caps?

Reactions: Huskydriver

Lol you must be homies with @rustyinbend ... I dunno what's more hilarious... Pulling my scope everytime to clean... Or changing scopes every caliber/ barrel change

Last edited:

Todd Hodnett is wrong. He is living 2 decades ago. Larue optic mounts became obsolete almost as soon as they were released. 100% go with the spuhr unless you want to risk damaging your receiver/rail.

• Haha
ARC Mbrace. 4 screws. no cracks. tons of size options

gunsmith suggesting badger is a pretty old school recommendation
Watched a Mbrace crack in half durring a stage last year. I like the M10 mounts, but would stay away from Mbrace, to much material removed around the fingers.

Spuhr is the gold standard. They have the best mounting ecosystem and I have not had an issue in the 6 (about to be 9) that I own. I take off and put optics on weekly and have never broken a crossbar. I would bet people are exceeding the torque or using shitty bits. In dozens of cycles, mine all still look pretty new.

Badger makes great stuff and while dated (like the NF Ultramount) they are still a solid option. The newer C1 mounts are pretty nice as is the new grey ops and the MPA. Hard to really go wrong with any of them.

If it was me, Mrad + ATACR screams Spuhr or it will look weird.

thank you for all the assistance. I did pick this up:

Spuhr SP-4602 FDE​

should be here in a few days. Looking at the bipod and a tool kit.

Lots of stuff to read and i need to take better notes.

But i do appreciate the help and none of that use the search button (which i get but ... sorry)

More questions to follow i am sure!

again. thank you!!!!

Semper Fi.
I just ordered the same one yestderday for a new optic coming in.

MPA makes a mount for the Send it level to mount vertically to the side. Nice compact level that will make you never want to mess with a bubble again.

Watched a Mbrace crack in half durring a stage last year. I like the M10 mounts, but would stay away from Mbrace, to much material removed around the fingers.

Spuhr is the gold standard. They have the best mounting ecosystem and I have not had an issue in the 6 (about to be 9) that I own. I take off and put optics on weekly and have never broken a crossbar. I would bet people are exceeding the torque or using shitty bits. In dozens of cycles, mine all still look pretty new.

Badger makes great stuff and while dated (like the NF Ultramount) they are still a solid option. The newer C1 mounts are pretty nice as is the new grey ops and the MPA. Hard to really go wrong with any of them.

If it was me, Mrad + ATACR screams Spuhr or it will look weird.
773DA25F-6BFE-4E4C-82DA-A2E785C6909A.gif

Thousands of documented failures

Also lol “dated” yeah reliable sucks

Reactions: TheBigCountry
I forget which Spuhr thread, not going back to read them, shit might even be this one. But someone had like 9 Spuhr mounts and 4 of the 9 were cracked. Then you have the people who have the updated thicker bar and they are still cracking. To even have multiple threads about how bad these mounts are should really ring the alarm. Just about everyone with a Spuhr has stripped a screw on the mount somewhere. Gold standard my ass. They suck and are way overpriced.

• Love
Reactions: TheBigCountry