• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes mount height?

bigmike2121

Private
Minuteman
Jan 18, 2011
longview, tx
Howa 1500 varminter w #6 contour barrel. zeiss scope w a 56mm objective. scope will be mounted on 0 degree egw rail. What height rings will I need?

YES I know it s been gone over a thousand times but I am ordering base and rings online and dont have time to wait to measure myself.

thanks

Howa 1500 varminter w #6 contour barrel. zeiss scope w a 56mm objective. scope will be mounted on 0 degree egw rail. What height rings will I need?

YES I know it s been gone over a thousand times but I am ordering base and rings online and dont have time to wait to measure myself.

thanks

Well do you have the time to tell us exactly which Zeiss 56mm scope your buying?? Do you have the time to tell us how tall the EGW rail actually is?? Never-mind I found it myself 0.35" high, posted right on the EGW site.

Cause most, but not all, Zeiss scopes with 56mm len's have an Objective diameter of 62 mm. So half of that is 31mm. Subtract half of the scope diameter ( if it a 30mm tube, that would be 15mm or 0.59") from 31mm, leaving 16mm (or 0.629921"). So you need a ring ( measured to the bottom of the tube) and base height combined that will clear 0.63". You will need a another 0.10" more if you want to run BC covers...

Assuming your scope has a 30mm tube then 0.63"- 0.35" = 0.28" or 0.38" height rings if you going to run BC covers. Or if your measuring rings from the center line of the scope then your ring height should be at least 0.87" assuming 30 MM rings. I would allow another 0.10" for BC covers, if thats your plan, then you would need rings 0.97" high. EGW's 30mm 0.99" should work, their 0.850" rings would be too low. Again, assuming were talking about a 30mm tubed scope w/ a 62MM objective outside diameter Zeiss scope.

Now your on your own....

Last edited: