• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mount point (bi-pod/sling) problem in HS-Precision 338 stock

High Binder

Resident Tribologist
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2008
Occupied Colorado
Hey guys, so I've been putting a little weight on the legs of my 338 Harris pods while on the bench for test loads and noticed that the mount point is moving (obviously my fault) due to the leverage acting against the stock during recoil and the weight on the pods (see below for pics). It moved at first and doesn't seem to be moving since but I'm sure if I were to continue doing this it would eventually crack through the stock and as it stands I don't trust it and would like to come up with some sort of solution. I was thinking about milling out a slot and replacing the whole area with a 1" diameter aluminum (or whatever) post like the pillars in the mag/trigger areas and then bedding it in place. Has anyone ever done this to reenforce this area or does anyone have any other ideas for a somewhat simple fix for this problem?

107tmx0.jpg

1z2lphy.jpg

Is yours one of the few (I've only seen one) HSP stocks where the aluminum block doesn't go all the way to the sling mounts? The three HSPs I've had are all threaded right into the aluminum.

Is yours one of the few (I've only seen one) HSP stocks where the aluminum block doesn't go all the way to the sling mounts? The three HSPs I've had are all threaded right into the aluminum.

Wow, I didn't know that. Thanks! I just unscrewed the mounts and sure enough they're threaded into Aluminum. I unscrewed the bad mount and sure enough the Aluminum bock underneath is fine and straight but the mount itself is all kinds of bent.

Do you happen to know how wide/deep/etc that embedded Al is? Does it have enough to maybe drill out and tap to say ~¼” so I can use a mount with more stout?

1zz6mhj.jpg

I'm not sure and I can't think of any non-destructive way to find out (I don't have an x-ray machine). My best guess is that it should take a 1/4-28 just fine, but I don't know of any off-the-shelf sling mounts in that thread.

I'm not sure and I can't think of any non-destructive way to find out (I don't have an x-ray machine). My best guess is that it should take a 1/4-28 just fine, but I don't know of any off-the-shelf sling mounts in that thread.

I used to work as a tool & die maker so I was planning on just drill/tapping and then turning my own sling mount. Thanks for the info on the cast Al in the stock already. If you hadn't mentioned that I never would have thought to look and would have milled right into it in an attempt to fix a problem that I didn't even have. So thanks a million you saved me big time!