• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision Rifle Gear Mountain Bipod (Atlas vs Modular Evolution vs ?)

treillw

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2017
I'd like to get my dad a bipod for Christmas. I have a Modular Evolution (ME) and an Atlas of my own that I bought years ago. They work well overall. I prefer the robustness of the Atlas for shooting prone and the optional extension legs on the ME for hunting. I would buy another ME, but I wish the joints were a little stiffer - they flex quite a bit and all that movement probably isn't ideal for consistency.

Are there any other good options out there nowadays that are similar to the modular evolution, but might improve on the quality a little? The bipod needs to have long extension legs for shooting while seated. Dad is 76 and with many surgeries can't do the yoga required to shoot prone super low to the ground.

Maybe there is another option (not bipod) out there that would be better for him, since he would carry the extension bipod legs on his back anyway (not going to walk around with ~30" legs on the gun). Ideas? Super light tripod and an arca mount? I know nothing about tripods and how light they can be.

He puts on a lot of miles for his age and weight is a concern as well - the lighter the better.

Thanks!

I would probably just look at something like the the Vortex carbon fiber tripod. The switchback is VERY light and pretty much comes with what you need out of the box.

https://www.eurooptic.com/Vortex-Sw...-Plate-w-1-4-20-Thread-Detachable-Counte.aspx (also qualifies for the eurooptic 15% off vortex sale now, so about $510 before shipping and tax.

Even though its currently "backordered" on there, eurooptic has always shipped backordered vortex product very quickly, the multiple times Ive ordered.

Another guy I shoot with recently brought this Leofoto model carbon fiber shooting tripod as well, it was very light, and easy to setup:
https://leofotousa.com/products/leo...n-carbon-fiber-tripod-with-built-in-ball-head

If he's seated, I think you could stick with a bipod. Atlas CAL gen 2 is a good one. Atlas PSR too. Another member here DIY'd easy leg extensions for it too.

For any kind of backpack hunting Hatch Outwest is worth considering @ 23oz. Note that they're not the most user friendly & have a bit of play in them.