• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mountain hiking packs with bolt rifles ?

Impact

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2007
Los Angeles,CA
Going up in the mountains for some shooting next week end and I'd like to see pictures of backpacks you guys setup for hiking ,I'll be bringing the .308 along so keep in mind I need to be able to hike with a bolt action rifle/ ammo/ food/water/clothes..etc...

thanks

Re: pictures of hiking packs with bolt rifles ?

Don't have a pack set up yet, but I was looking at the Eberstock packs. You can carry your rifle pretty easily with there set up.

I just use a old surplus Alice pack to keep all my gear in, then I just use some 550 cord to attach my case to the top of the pack, it works and is cheep.

Before I owned an Eberlestock I could usually use the side compression straps on the side of most backpacks to hold on the rifle. The lower strap need to be strategically placed around the wrist of the stock to keep it from sliding down, but it can work pretty slick.

I use an Eberlestock Gunslinger II and they are well made, nice kit. It is fine for medium amount of gear duty. You will need bigger from your post but I would look to them or Kifaru with gun scabbards.

I'm already at 40 lbs of gear without the gun/ammo and water...I need to be lighter or it;s gonna be a painful hike...

thanks guys.

Mystery Ranch has one out with a gun bay now too, looks slick.

I use an Eberlestock phantom, myself.

how comfortable are those eberlestock for mountain activities ? the mystery ranch look nice though.

The eberlestock packs work really well. I have carried out an entire elk with mine which is a dragonfly. If your going far back get a hydration bladder also. Ceylon member ceylonc has really good deals on eberlestock items and offers hide members a nice discount as well. He has always treated me very fair.

I just got an Eberlestock gs2 and love it. it has plenty Of Molle to make it alot bigger than it comes stock

I'm also on the Eberlestock GS2 bandwagon. Sweet pack, well built and versatile. Not what I'd want to use for hauling meat out in, but it could certainly be done. Plenty of areas to organize little gidgets, and MOLLE on the outside for anything you might want to add. The compression straps on the rifle bay do a pretty good job of stabilizing your rifle if you're not after the super-cool quickdraw feature.

If you are truly hiking and not mountain fit then every pound is going to really hurt.

I work to how far I have to carry the kitchen sink. If its more than a couple of miles you are in trouble and every non essential thing must be left at home. I go for a featherweight climbing bergan and as rifles are quite tough then it can be strapped onto the side wrapped in a couple of bin liners (or stronger bergen liners). Water is heavy, so re-hydrate before you leave civilization and carry enough. If there is natural water then I take a purifying bottle system to top up safely.

If only a mile or so from the truck and living in a hut then an Eberlestock, like the Gunslinger II (a bit small if you are taking your pajamas), is a nice way to pamper your kit.

If you are then stalking from a base camp then a rifle with sling is fine with a daysack for your lunch, water, emergency gear, and warm kit. If you expect you might have to carry out some real poundage of meat then a strong waterproof jacket can work as a bag strapped to the daysack (meat in bin liners and then in jacket).

Remember the military kit is made bombproof to last a whole campaign, and is heavy compared to civilian kit. Your adventure is only for a couple of days and being completely exhausted by having too much kit isn't the way to do it in my book.