• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater Mountain Men

sw22aellafrits

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 5, 2009
New show on the History channel called Mountain Men. Saw the first 2 episodes, seems pretty good. What are your thoughts on it?

Rory

Re: Mountain Men

So far so good. I dig the gardening part but the survivor hippy himself seems like a douche/dork or he's hamming it up for TV.

It seems a little over sensationalized and the quasi-hippie from SC is going to get old fast. All that being said I have the DVR set to record every episode

Eustace and his little buddy are a trip hate it when the shows have the participants to stage drama for entertainment value but the other two are likable. I put this show in the same category as Swamp People it'll grow on you as it progresses.

Eustace doesn't pay his taxes and a mean ol' lawyer is gonna take his land. HAHAHAAHA Get a fucking job hippie.

Good show. I like the old man and his dog in Montana the best.

Why didn't that guy in Alaska take his rifle with him out checking traps?

He did have it when he began his run, no idea where it went after that.

Eustace is a pud. Prime example number 1: He gives his trusty deer rifle to someone else to sight in for him and then gets pissed off when he "misfires" and wings a deer?? Must've inhaled too many shit-house vapors or too much weed. How does a clown like that wind up with a thousand acre chunk of land...

What's up with a complete narrative rehash of what I just watched before the commercial break?

I agree with Friar....what a dipshat Eustace is. Hes always on the lookout and stays on top of things that need repairing , but his shed roof is about to fall in leaking before he " spots" it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rory_™</div><div class="ubbcode-body">He did have it when he began his run, no idea where it went after that. </div></div>

My thought exactly. I talked with a friend I work with and he said that he had the rifle when he went to get water and must have left it at the cabin when he took the water back. I do not have it recorded, so I can not go back and see.

But why in the hell would you be a trapper in Alaska, and go 100 yards away from your remote cabin without your rifle? Sounds like he wants to be bear or wolf food.

I agree with the other poster. I like old Tom and Nancy in Montana the best.

Eustace is not in SC he is in NC a bit north of where I live.
That said: Who in hell gives someone that doesn't know how to properly grip a fuckin lever action, the task of sighting in all the rifles bfore a deer hunt."This meat is very important because we need it to get through the tough winters." Really dumbass? Then <span style="text-decoration: underline">you</span> make damn sure that rifle is dead nuts before you go shoot a deer with the thing.
A missfire? What the hell is that? Looked to me like it fired just fine. The problem was that the bullet did not impact where the crosshairs were resting...or did they?
I have read a few articles about Eustace long before anyone made him a drama queen. I had some bit of respect for the man until I saw the show. Now I have some serious doubts.

I like it, good show so far. I have set the DVR to record all the shows, it is def one of the more interesting shows on TV.

I'm not a fan of it, and I really dig stuff like that.

Check out "Alone in the Wilderness". Comes on a lot on PBS, it is HUGELY popular now. It was filmed by a guy named Dick Proeneke in Alaska; he went there and lived off the land from the 60's until the late 90's or early 00's. His cabin is a historical landmark now. He documented, on film all alone, the construction and how he carved out a life there. The film itself is considered a national treasure as he is kind of considered to be the last real pioneer, and the documentation is superb.

I hate to admit it, but it makes me cry when I watch it. That man lived THE dream! Everything about it is beautiful, I must have seen it 20 or more times. There is also a part two sort of, where they put more clips together. The film started as clips sent to his brother to keep in touch so they'd know how he was doing. They saved them, and on Dick's deathbed they made it into a beautiful film. It really captures a lost time and a lost art of living, and it was awesome Dick was able to see it days before he died.

If you like "Mountain Men" but haven't seen this, you are really missing out. I can't sit through "Mountain Men" after watching "Alone in the Wilderness", I really can't.

If you are really interested in this kind of stuff, the Firefox books are without peer. Real mountain man stuff there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a fan of it, and I really dig stuff like that.

Check out "Alone in the Wilderness". Comes on a lot on PBS, it is HUGELY popular now. It was filmed by a guy named Dick Proeneke in Alaska; he went there and lived off the land from the 60's until the late 90's or early 00's. His cabin is a historical landmark now. He documented, on film all alone, the construction and how he carved out a life there. The film itself is considered a national treasure as he is kind of considered to be the last real pioneer, and the documentation is superb.

I hate to admit it, but it makes me cry when I watch it. That man lived THE dream! Everything about it is beautiful, I must have seen it 20 or more times. There is also a part two sort of, where they put more clips together. The film started as clips sent to his brother to keep in touch so they'd know how he was doing. They saved them, and on Dick's deathbed they made it into a beautiful film. It really captures a lost time and a lost art of living, and it was awesome Dick was able to see it days before he died.

If you like "Mountain Men" but haven't seen this, you are really missing out. I can't sit through "Mountain Men" after watching "Alone in the Wilderness", I really can't.

If you are really interested in this kind of stuff, the Firefox books are without peer. Real mountain man stuff there. </div></div>

I have the 1st and 2nd alone in the wilderness in my DVR. I might lok into those firefox books.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MintyCock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Every episode Eustace looks like more of a clown. </div></div>

You must have seen him eating the yellow root with the yellow teeth.

I could have done without that closeup!

I thought this was a decent show, but the "misfire" crap, with the nitwit sighting in his rifle for him, and a recent show where the Alaska guy goes out for a ride with his relatives in Montana, and supposedly "chases away" a mountain lion threatening their livestock is turning me off. And they check the barbed wire fences, to be sure the mountain lion can't get in?? WTF? Just shoot the SOB! They didn't even have proper reins, bits, and bridles on the horses, just hackamores. Damn, those producers need some tech advice, not to mention common sense!

watched the first two episodes, i thought the show was actually going to be better than it was... only reason i pushed myself though the second show was because i liked "tom" just because he looks like a old chuck norris.. but the hippie and the trapper guy ruined it for me..not to mention before they put these shows on they need to sit back and look at how scripted they look. i am aware that all these new reality shows are scripted but c'mon it's getting pretty dang silly..

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strykervet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm not a fan of it, and I really dig stuff like that.

If you are really interested in this kind of stuff, the Firefox books are without peer. Real mountain man stuff there.</div></div>

Alone in the wilderness awesome.
I like the "5 ton truck" the horses had to pull up the hill.

Not thrilled with this show.

NC: owes taxes so why does he not take the money he got from the show to pay them? From what I know about past payments, he should have around $25k coming to him. What is up with the kids on his farm? I like the way he lives old time but I do not like him.

Montana: living in a furnished cabin house complete with phone and electric lines, plowed roads, 4 wheeled Dodge pickemup, not a real mountain man. But I do like him the best. The bear scare was silly to me.

Alaska: closest to a true mountain man with his seasonal trapping in the bush. While TV does distort, the air and snow pack do not look and sound like it is -40 or even -20. Hiking back to his cabin with snowshoes on in the packed down track of his snowmachine taking 4 hours, he is burnt from the effort about to pass out and die.....all for TV. The wolves? Why does he mention wolves yet we never see wolves in the shot with him, it always cuts to B roll and different terrain showing the wolves.

I worked for Syntax in Alaska on back country productions and I know for a fact the director / producer wanted certain effects from me. While I was never told what to say, editing did but I was told to look tired, scared, make it look hard, fumble this, lose this, the whole TV directing for drama.

Eustace bags one little 50lb doe and it's enough to feed 8 people all winter. Stupid.

Where the hell did all the furs in Alaska come from? All season it's been showing how his traps have been empty all year and now out of nowhere he's loaded up with fur.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Friar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eustace is a pud. Prime example number 1: He gives his trusty deer rifle to someone else to sight in for him and then gets pissed off when he "misfires" and wings a deer?? Must've inhaled too many shit-house vapors or too much weed. How does a clown like that wind up with a thousand acre chunk of land...

What's up with a complete narrative rehash of what I just watched before the commercial break?

</div></div>

It's funny how the kid sighting in the rifle, is using a lever action, but when Eustace is hunting and has a "misfire", it's not even the same gun! Then blames it on the kid.

The Alaska guy makes me want to punch him in the face over and over. I hate 'em all except the Montana dude.

The dude in NC really gives me a Manson vibe... Creepy as shit

The guy in Montana loses his dog every damn show... Annoying

The guy in Alaska with the staged wolf BS, one shot his snowmobile has the sled on the back, the next it doesn't, on and on.

NC hippie makes me uneasy, the rest I can tolerate, especially Alaska showing his daughter the lifestyle, good on him.

Not the best show I've ever seen but certainly better than many others. I like the people in Montana the best, 72 and him and his wife refuse to move to the city.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mjbmxz</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Friar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eustace is a pud. Prime example number 1: He gives his trusty deer rifle to someone else to sight in for him and then gets pissed off when he "misfires" and wings a deer?? Must've inhaled too many shit-house vapors or too much weed. How does a clown like that wind up with a thousand acre chunk of land...

</div></div>

It's funny how the kid sighting in the rifle, is using a lever action, but when Eustace is hunting and has a "misfire", it's not even the same gun! Then blames it on the kid. </div></div>

guys.

news alert.
its a TV show.

if you watch close, you can see the seasons sometimes change between scenes

Tom from Montana reminds me of my late grandfather. Eustace is a moron.

I turkey hunt all around Triplett where Eustace lives. My best friend since we were 5 lives in Aho. Maybe we killed some of Eustace's turkeys.
wink.gif
What a goober he appears to be on TV of course I would imagine TV scripting can do that to anyone. There are good mountain folk all around up there without all the quasi spiritual creepy vibe of Eustace. It takes a real fool to ride a horse for the first time on the road in downtown Boone.

So your the turkey hunter that left eustace in the dust! Lol. He is such a retard.

We respect posted land but there is no telling what he says are "his mountains" and he is a retard.

All I could stomach was a couple of episodes. That Marty dude in Alaska is a complete dumb ass and the hippie in North Carolina is a freakin' drama queen.

some one called & said watch this show
its filmed up there by you
what a waste of time IMHO
lots of drama
lots of hollywood