• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mountain vacation suggestions needed

Crews

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • May 11, 2017
    Hallsville, Tx
    My wife and I are in desperate need of a getaway from the sweltering gulf coast, flexible but hoping to get something on the books for June/July.

I have never spent any time in the mountains out west. We would like to do some day hike loops, observe some elk/wildlife, and enjoy some amazing views and clean mountain air.

I also DESPISE spending money on things that make me feel like a tourist, and would enjoy not being around massive crowds of them. Do my colleagues here at the Hide have any good suggestions for national parks that I could look into? I need to find a good place to stay too, but figured narrowing down geographical would be a good place to start.

Reactions: Badjujuu
    We typically put 1000-1500 miles on a rental car during a week-long vacation. Been to every state except the Dakotas and Alaska. We are also averse to "tourist" destinations, although Yosemite and Yellowstone were worth it.

There are literally hundreds of scenic destinations, and we don't like being "planted" in one spot. The only exceptions are ranches where we would be out on horses to different places every day. I mention that because that's where we saw a lot of wildlife - on horseback in MT and WY. My daughter and I fly-fish, and lots of beautiful rivers to experience out there as well.

I honestly couldn't recommend one "spot" being better than any other. Post up what you're thinking but I doubt you will be disappointed.

I'll add - you might also consider outside the US. Done the same thing in Europe. Flew in and out of Rome but didn't visit it - stayed in Siena, Luca, and Perugia. A few day trips to interesting villages, lots of exploring.

Lake Tahoe bruh 🤙

South Shore is very "touristy", North Shore is where all the cool cats chill...

Lassen National park is a few hours north.

Lots to see and do, and you can always venture an hour in either direction and find some solitude.

But, it is California, so, if you need to "roll heavy" (lol), then maybe not.

Whats the budget? Fly or drive only? How long of a vacay?

The Durango to Ouray ...Silverton....up US 550 ...the Million Dollar Hwy is a blast ! Black Canyon , over into Utah is beautiful this time of year. We camped a couple of nights , do a motel for my GF’s “Hollywood shower” for a night .
    Still chilly but not dead of Winter. Don’t agree with their politics , but the beauty of the place was 👍

Take a look at Wallowa lake in northeast Oregon lots of hiking, high lakes, Wildlife, can also book a very comfortable cabin/ house on the lake. Back side of Yellowstone is beautiful and you get away from the people, if you have not been to the pacific coast it is very nice that time of year from Northern California to southern Washington.

Reactions: Sandhog308
    Whats the budget? Fly or drive only? How long of a vacay?
    We have some $ with the airline that needs to be used, so wherever it is we’ll be flying out from Houston then renting a vehicle to get around.

We are good with $4k max, although less would be better. I’d be inclined to stay somewhere pretty nice for my wife, since she is compromising on my behalf and would be just as happy parked on a beach somewhere.

4-5 days

Last edited:
    Honestly, most places will be packed regardless of where you go during that time of year. When I lived in WA, there would be lines at the entrance to places like Mt Rainier and whatnot. Even the more remote hikes were packed by 8am.

We had to be at the trailhead by 4am to beat the tourist rush that started around 7am. You always knew who were local and who wasn’t based on what time you were hiking.

My advice would be to hit the mountains on the back end of the season. Early September timeframe right before the weather dumps big temperature swings at you. Buddy and I went to glacier National park late September a few years ago. It felt like we had the whole place to ourselves.

The Durango to Ouray ...Silverton....up US 550 ...the Million Dollar Hwy is a blast ! Black Canyon , over into Utah is beautiful this time of year. We camped a couple of nights , do a motel for my GF’s “Hollywood shower” for a night .
    Still chilly but not dead of Winter. Don’t agree with their politics , but the beauty of the place was 👍
    This would be my suggestion too. Lots of Texans in the area. When me a couple of friends go out west to go offroading, this is the place to go. IF you don't have a 4x4, you can rent one. Wasn't too expensive either when we went. You can offroad for a couple of weeks and not see all the trails there. You can also hike if thats your thing. We usually camp at the 4J RV park on the west side of town.

You can also go to the other side of the continental divide in Lake City, I think the vast majority of the people there are from Texas oddly enough. The burger joint there is owned by a family from the Spring/Conroe area, where the OP is listed from...

Partial to SE Wyoming/NE Colorado for the solitude, south of Laramie, WY. Other side of the Tetons from Jackson Hole also great, near Pinedale, WY.

Its been a long time since Ive been to the area but how about Glacier National Park. Its remote enough it shouldnt be too crowded and the scenery is stunning. Theres a reason they call it Going to the Sun Road

Going-to-the-Sun-Road.jpg

Its been a long time since Ive been to the area but how about Glacier National Park. Its remote enough it shouldnt be too crowded and the scenery is stunning. Theres a reason they call it Going to the Sun Road

Going-to-the-Sun-Road.jpg
    Lots of good suggestions here but I really like Glacier.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
    If you haven’t already made reservations for anything in CO, you are mildly hosed. Also, CO will have so many Texans it won’t feel like a vacation although the Silverton/Durango area is hard to beat. NE Oregon is a great suggestion. Joseph, Wallowa, Enterprise, and Sumpter/Baker City area. Joseph/wallows lake is pretty touristy. Baker City is not, but the locals will generally be pissed that you are there and hoping you leave soon. The weather on the Northern Oregon Coast is shit in June/July. If you want to go that far west, go in late August or early September. It’s terrific then…and maybe a little less crowded with tourons.

If you haven‘t been, southwestern Oregon is pretty amazing in mid Summer. Fly in to Redding, CA or Medford, OR and explore everything from I-5 west to the coast between the two. Redwoods, Oregon Caves, Cave Junction, see Shakespeare in Ashland, raft the Rogue river, get high as shit because it’s legal in OR, go to Crater Lake, etc.

Also, McCall, ID is totally overrated….especially in summer. Two thumbs down. But North Central ID is totally underrated As is the Idaho side of the Tetons.

Arches, Zion to name a couple. Lots of beautiful country in Utah.

Moab if you like to off road.

Jemez Falls NM. Nice area near Colorado, but no Colorado BS. Not far from Spring (I am in Conroe, not far from you.) You can do it in one day but I took 2. North through Witchita Falls, back through Roswell NM.

Reactions: dmuffman80
    If you can up the date, we like to hit Grand Junction, CO in early May. You’re an hour from Moab and an hour from Ourey/Telluride. Mt. Garfield is a nice local Mesa to hike with wild horses and big horn sheep. The wineries are nice. It’s a neat place.

I didn’t get the whole Denver/Boulder feel. It was pretty chill but we were there the week the airlines started flying again when COVID kicked off. It’s been a couple years…

Reactions: Evlshnngns
    I would say "Glacier Park"..... Let me qualify that. The Park has 3 million visitors on an average summer. What I would suggest, after hearing your comment about your wife, would be to make reservations and stay at The Lake McDonald Lodge. From the Lodge there are shuttles that will take you all over. You can hike from the Lodge. Link Below

Reactions: dmuffman80
    Kansas, man! Thee are some amazing mountains in Kansas.

I used to work at a Sherpa Academy there. Seriously, it is a totally under-rated ski destination, too.

Sirhr

True. I watch Gunsmoke reruns and there are literally mountains everywhere.
    I'd swear it looks more like Utah and Cali than Kansas.🤪

Rocky Mountain National Park is beautiful and if you stay mostly on the west side you’ll be away from most of the tourists.

Everyone is thinking west…what about Acadia or the Sebago Lake region of Maine? The west is overplayed anyway. The Adirondacks? Maine, New Hampshire. Totally worth a close look.

Reactions: thejeep
    National parks are stupid crazy crowded that time of year. We finally went to Glacier last summer and it was nuts in spite of being covered in smoke.
    I am afraid this year may be horribly dry in the Rockies. Montana was BAD dry last summer. I just had this drought prediction sent to me yesterday. It looks ugly. The northern California to southern Washington would be my vote to fly, hotel and rent a car.
    What about Alaska?

Attachments

• Screen Sh.jpg
      Screen Sh.jpg
      194.8 KB · Views: 34
    Everyone is thinking west…what about Acadia or the Sebago Lake region of Maine? The west is overplayed anyway. The Adirondacks? Maine, New Hampshire. Totally worth a close look.
    Possibly because the OP asked specifically about the West.

The East certainly has its share of beauty (I live here..)

Reactions: OREGUN
    Man, a lot of good input here… a lot for me to research. I have been informed that our trip will be later in August instead of June/July. Perhaps that will help a tiny bit with the crowds. ?

Olympic Peinsula. Fly to Seattle, take a ferry to Bremerton, drive out through Port Angeles. Go to the park, stay in Kalaloch (pronounced Klay-lock, so you don’t sound like a total outta-towner). It’s mountains and some really cool coast, and the weather in August should be pretty perfect. And there’s a ferry ride across Eliot Bay and Puget sound, which is arguably the coolest way to see Seattle.

Reactions: Sandhog308
    If you can push to September after the holiday crowds are way down everywhere, kids back in school, early fall in the western mountains is beautiful, same for the Oregon coast. Not a better time to go

Man, a lot of good input here… a lot for me to research. I have been informed that our trip will be later in August instead of June/July. Perhaps that will help a tiny bit with the crowds. ?
    Consider the week after labor day, kids are back in school so everything is empty. Airline tickets and hotels will also cost less and the weather is still nice and not stupid hot.

DOH N0glock beat me to it.

we car camped for two weeks during the summer years ago in rocky mtn, grand teton and yellowstone parks. hiked every day. was pretty awesome, beautiful. if you hike in more than a mile you lose pretty much everyone.

If you really want your own personal slice away from other people, look into renting fire towers from the U.S. forest service. They are cheap and generally in the middle of nowhere. Did a couple with my wife on our honeymoon. They're probably $75 a day and many are in the middle of thousands of acres of national forest with no one else around for miles.

Glacier National Park, Going to the Sun Road doesn't open until Mid July which puts all the tourons around Apgar, and Lake McDonald Lodge. You have to drive around the park to get to the other side to go in the East entrance. That being said, if you put in the miles, you will get away from people pretty quick. I know other places around the area that get away from crowds. Our cabin sits 400 yards from the border of Glacier National Park so while the park is cool. I know lots of other places that give you the views but are out of the crowds. Its a super cool area, but as with much these days, it "aint what it used to be". I haven't been in the park for the last couple of years. Mostly because of crowds and the passes they implemented. Not as much wildlife as in Jellystone, but chances of seeing some Griz, moose, and the occasional elk.

If you like Colorado, I'd stay far away from Denver. I lived there for 10 years. I know a lot of cool places all over that state from a decade spent mountaineering. We went back last summer for a PRS match in Grand Junction and then did a family vacation afterwards down near the San Juans. Those are the best mountains in the state, and farthest from Denver.

We got an Airbnb outside Telluride and did day trips into Ouray, Silverton and Durango. Mesa Verde national park is nearby. Very chill area, not many people and views galore. Utah and Arches national park are nearby too.

Dallas Divide, near Ridgeway.
    IMG_20210613_100201192_HDR.jpg

Silverton.
    IMG_20210613_161717145_HDR.jpg

Airbnb in Norwood.
    Photo_6554101_DJI_501_jpg_5557021_0_2021613205426_photo_original.jpg

Colorado natl monument.
    IMG_20210611_202323104_HDR.jpg

Up Camp Bird Rd. In Ouray.
    IMG_20210613_131649925_HDR.jpg

Let me know if you need any more suggestions.

All these places are within an hour or less of the Airbnb we used in Norwood, CO.

If you like Colorado, I'd stay far away from Denver. I lived there for 10 years. I know a lot of cool places all over that state from a decade spent mountaineering. We went back last summer for a PRS match in Grand Junction and then did a family vacation afterwards down near the San Juans. Those are the best mountains in the state, and farthest from Denver.

We got an Airbnb outside Telluride and did day trips into Ouray, Silverton and Durango. Mesa Verde national park is nearby. Very chill area, not many people and views galore. Utah and Arches national park are nearby too.

Dallas Divide, near Ridgeway.
    View attachment 7849450

Silverton.
    View attachment 7849451

Airbnb in Norwood.
    View attachment 7849453

Colorado natl monument.
    View attachment 7849454

Up Camp Bird Rd. In Ouray.
    View attachment 7849455

Let me know if you need any more suggestions.

All these places are within an hour or less of the Airbnb we used in Norwood, CO.
    We like to stop one night and camp on our vacations at Colorado National Monument. We get a spot next to the north edge that overlooks Fruita. I grab a lawn chair, some beer and watch the sun go away as cars meander below me comeing into the park. As dusk turns to dark the bats come out. Some will get very close. It is beautiful there. When the boys were little, I had them convinced that was where they filmed the movie "Cars". 😅 Good times.

Reactions: earthquake
    We like to stop one night and camp on our vacations at Colorado National Monument. We get a spot next to the north edge that overlooks Fruita. I grab a lawn chair, some beer and watch the sun go away as cars meander below me comeing into the park. As dusk turns to dark the bats come out. Some will get very close. It is beautiful there. When the boys were little, I had them convinced that was where they filmed the movie "Cars". 😅 Good times.

We saw sheep all over up there. They are deceiving, you don’t realize how damn big they are until they’re way too close.