• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Talk Mounting a phone to tripod

KYyeeter

Did you see the size of that chicken
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2019
This might seem like a stupid question…here’s what I’m thinking, I’m mainly going to use my tripod with binos and currently have them sitting on a ball head. I’m new to competition and I want to be able to video some stages to playback and watch mistakes and for learning purposes and to show family where all my money is going, lol. I don’t want to be that guy asking people to video me. I’m sure I could search and find a mount that would clamp onto the legs or something just thought someone might know something specific. TIA

I dunno, I'd say just be that guy who asks people to video you. Maybe get one stage or two stages worth of video, enough to work with. Maybe offer to trade with one of your squad mates, I video you... you video me.

Your tripod w/ binos is likely to be at a bad angle to film an entire stage, unless you like looking at the back of your head or being really small in the frame. The guys who I've seen video themselves in a stage seem to use a small ground level tripod like a gorrilla pod or similar and just put the camera right next to the barricade with a side view from a low angle.

Reactions: KYyeeter
RAM Mounts are very versatile, rugged, and easy to use. They have a clamp that will attach to a tripod leg very well. You can use innumerable combinations of connectors, such as this, to connect the phone to the clamp. I have a universal phone holder like this. But there are tons of options. Just make sure you stick with the same size for all your components. For what you are doing, the size "B" is what you would want.

Preciate the feedback. I’ll check out the options you all gave.

I bought a cheapy smartphone tripod off of Amazon and it works just fine. I set it up before the stage and just hit record before it's my turn.

Half decent results I think.. Still learning the video editing aspect of it but a smartphone on a tripod is certainly good enough for recording basic footage.

Reactions: KYyeeter
I have this thing and it’s great:

It can stand on its own on a flat surface, or you can fold the legs together and they form an Arca rail so you can mount it to anything that has an Arca clamp.

Don't forget to video yourself during practice as well. You'll pick up on a lot of wasted movements that way and can quickly work to correct them right then and there. Just my two cents.

Don't forget to video yourself during practice as well. You'll pick up on a lot of wasted movements that way and can quickly work to correct them right then and there. Just my two cents.
That was the first thing I noticed was how I wasn't squaring my hips off on a lot of positions and watching it side by side with my TriggerCam footage you could see the recoil impulse taking me off target in the direction my hips were facing.

Really handy 👌

Reactions: todd and KYyeeter