• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Mounting a picatinny rail to the forend of my stock.....what type of T-nuts do you prefer?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
I picked up a picatinny rail to mount on the forend section of my Sig SSG300 polymer stock. I had a mount that used the sling swivel but it moves too much for my liking.

I understand many advocate using T-nuts to secure a rail mount. I went to home depot but wasn't sure if i should purchase stainless or zinc or carbon. At first i thought perhaps stainless would be safest as i live in a coastal region but then read that stainless (t-nut) to stainless (bolt) can result in galling and fusion. I was also informed that zinc isn't very resistant to rust.

Anyone have any experience with this? thanks.

Doesn’t make a difference if you don’t leave your rifle outside in the rain for a week.

^^^^^What he said. The bus factory here once had an order for busses with stainless hardware holding them together. Those stupid stainless nuts and bolts would gall and freeze while threading the nut onto the bolt. They ended up having to use anti seize on all of them because they were ruining too much hardware. And spending too much time removing the ruined hardware. SS on SS is trouble waiting happen.

thank you....only recently ordered them from the bipod company so i bet they included the correct pairing.
really appreciate the information
i would have guesses stainless....glad i asked