• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Mounting a Press to table top?

woodspider

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2005
I am about to mount my new Forster co-ax to a standard countertop, (particle board with a layer of formica I think on top) its the standard 5 ft countertop you can buy at Lowes and or Home depot.
I have just built a new reloading area in the basement and need some advice. Is there a better/best way to mount the press to the table such as Ive described? or just drill some holes and screw it down good w/washers. Looking for any experience with such a set up or thereabouts.
Thanks in advance for any reply.

Re: Mounting a Press to table top?

big fail waiting to happen. You are gonna rip the formica and particleboard in less than a week. You need to reinforce the table if that is where you want to mount it. Plywood underneath the press and underneath the table with some big washers at least. More surface area = more strength.

Mine is mounted on 1.25" butcherblock maple. I can take a picture of the old desk I had it mounted on, it pulled through over an inch of particleboard like it was nothing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...drill some holes and screw it down good w/washers...</div></div>
Yes! And anchor the counter top to the floor. The sturdier the better.

+1 you might want to anchor it too. There is a lot of mechanical leverage being exerted when you use a press...I've seen people flip over craftsman tool benches trying to size cases. My bench isn't anchored...but i have over 60 lbs of lead in it so its not going anywhere.

IMG_2185.jpg

I used a Dillon 550 press mount under mine to bring it up a little. Very pleased with the way it worked out. I placed 2 3/4 sheets of plywood between the cabinets and counter top to give the lags screws something to bite on.

I did the same as RDINSD and it worked out perfectly. The height is an improvement since you want leverage pressing down. The stand also provides clearance from the edge of the table making for a clean install.

On my setup, I'm using a fiberboard top which made the mounting reinforcement absolutely necessary. I essentially used oversize washers on the underside of the table and the Dillon mounts to spread the tension out over a larger area. Once it was tightened up, it was rock solid.

BTW, there will be some modification to the Dillon stand as well to have the screws line up.

WOW RDINSD !!!! If I didnt look twice Id say that was a photo of my basement, thats the exact same countertop and base I have and the stain matches lol. And one of my deer mounts is above my table too
smile.gif

Question is that the "Strong mount(Stock#22051" on dillon's website?

Thanks so much for the replies guys saved me ripping mine right up. I think im gonna order that dillon mount I like the look and it solves most of my problems.
Hazard what kind of mods??, something I can easily do with a drill at home?

You might consider putting something like 3/8" piece of steel plate maybe a foot square, under the counter top. Washers won't hold it very long if you are full length sizing anything bigger than 223 brass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might consider putting something like 3/8" piece of steel plate maybe a foot square, under the counter top. Washers won't hold it very long if you are full length sizing anything bigger than 223 brass. </div></div>I would think 1/4" plate would handle it, you're just trying to spread the force. I have mine mounted to a 3/16" sheet and it holds it fine.

My press has been bolted to an $18 cheap desk from IKEA for almost a year now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: woodspider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Hazard what kind of mods??, something I can easily do with a drill at home? </div></div>

Oh nothing serious. I think I drilled two holes through the Dillon mount to properly align the 4 bolts to lock down the press. 2 of them were already usable. Any sort of steel drill bit should do the trick. Just make sure to drill them in the right place! :>

Here's my setup:
press1.jpg

press2.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Washers won't hold it very long if you are full length sizing anything bigger than 223 brass. </div></div>

But alas, you never asked the diameter of the washers! I purchased thick steel washers that were 3.5" in diameter located at all 4 posts. That provides a very large surface area and distributes the torque force quite well on the down and up stroke.

I personally tested it to see if I could rip it out (which was my excuse to replace the fiberboard top). It wouldn't budge and I couldn't damage it so I'm still stuck with fiberboard....

With a set up like that I'd look into the RCBS accessory base plate to distribute the force. If that's not an option, at least bolt your press through some 2X6's to handle the load better or you'll be replacing your setup really soon. Good luck.

The washers are nice and very helpful, but the key is to make the thing rigid. I highly recommend using bolts going through the table with a nice thick board (or metal) underneath to spread the load. Use thru bolts with washers on both ends and nuts on the bottom and do not scrimp on the bolt size, use at least 1/2 inch bolts. If your holes on the press will take 5/8ths bolts then use em. Nothing more aggravating than having a press that feels like it is mounted in rubber.

If any are thinking of mounting a Redding T7 press using the Dillon mount you won't need to worry about having to modify anything.

One of the available set of pre-drilled holes on the Dillon mount line up perfectly with the T7.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hill billy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Victor N TN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You might consider putting something like 3/8" piece of steel plate maybe a foot square, under the counter top. Washers won't hold it very long if you are full length sizing anything bigger than 223 brass. </div></div>I would think 1/4" plate would handle it, you're just trying to spread the force. I have mine mounted to a 3/16" sheet and it holds it fine. </div></div>

You are correct.

Great pics! Which model number is that mount when I order from Dillon?

Its the standard strong mount for the 550B. I had a spare from a trade. All you need to do is drill a couple of holes with a hand drill to get things to line up. No major surgery required.

+1 on Victor comment. You will either need some thick plywood or a sheet of aluminum or some type of steel reinforcement underneath. Most presses give a compound leverage ratio of around 25-1. If not properly anchored things have a way of pulling out from the wall, or coming off the bench. The small effort you invest on the front end will serve you well for years to come on the back end.

Good Luck and good shooting.

Ok received mount from dillon and it appears to either be the wrong mount or it's missing a part. It came with the 2 black metal legs but no top to connect them? For example when looking at the example photo above it has the legs but the black horizontal flat piece that mates to the bottom of the red press isnt in my box?? Did you make yours? The directions dont show that flat horizontal piece at all ?? Stand by for pics ........any advice appreciated?

Cross plate that's the word it's missing in my kit or doesn't come with it anymore I wonder?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PadronAniversary</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I did not have that plate that you have as well. I just drilled another hole in mine, and mounted the press to the strong mount with the cross plate. Worked fin no issues. Rock solid. </div></div>
Update I called dillon and that's the same thing they said. There Is no crossplate nor is one needed they said mount it in same manner u did. Will update thread once ITs mounted to my bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattmcg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I drilled two holes through the Dillon mount to properly align the 4 bolts to lock down the press. 2 of them were already usable.

press1.jpg

press2.jpg
</div></div>

I plan to mount my own Forster Co-Ax similarly

If you don't use the steel plate mentioned, I suggest you still use something to reinforce the bottom. A couple of 2x4 or 2x6 will do. Using the strong mount will also amplify the amount of stress put on the mounting screws.