• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Mounting a rail? AR15 question

PhOnEpHrEaK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2006
Salem, Ohio
I've searched it, I've googled, I can't find the answer.

My AR came with an accessory rail mounted on the bottom. It kept digging into my hand when I would shoot, so I bought a rail cover, however it wouldnt lock onto it and kept sliding around when I'd shoot so I got the bright idea to take the rail off.

So now whenever I move the rifle it sounds like there's something rattling around in the upper so I have two questions.

1. How do I remount the rail? (this is what I've been trying to find out)

2. What is it making the noise?? (I think it's whatever the rail was screwed into but i cant see anything in there)

Re: Mounting a rail? AR15 question

Photo0909.jpg

Photo0910.jpg

Photo0911.jpg

Any certain pictures you need?

I imagine the backing plate is what is causing the rattling. To reinstall the rail, you will need to take off the bottom handguard. To do this, hold the rifle with the butt on a hard surface then push down on the delta ring. The delta ring is the ring directly in front of the upper receiver. It takes a decent amount of force, and the ring will go down far enough to allow you to pull the bottom handguard out and down. You can then reattach the rail or remove the backing plate.

To reinstall, just put the front of the handguard in place in the endcap located at the front of the barrel at the front sight/gas block, and push the delta ring back down and replace the back of the handguard.

You were right. Got it off found 3 little bolt like pieces of metal. now just having issues getting it back on!! thanks for the help!!