• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes mounting a scope using feeler guages

lj_1187

Private
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2012
Amarillo, TX
Just got my CQBSS scope for the sr25 and I want to try the feeler gauge method of mounting it correctly. I am having trouble finding step by step instructions with pics on how to do it just right.

Thanks!

Re: mounting a scope using feeler guages

The idea is:
1. the rail is level and perpendicular to the bore.
2. the flat spot on the bottom of the scope turret housing is flat and perpendicular to the vertical crosshair (and erector travel).

So, if you have a block that exactly fits between the bottom of the scope and the top of the rail, then making all the mating surfaces tight will make sure that the scope is "level" with the rifle.

So, .... stack the feeler gauges until they almost tightly fit between the rail and the bottom of the scope's turret housing. Then add small increments on the feeler gauge stack until they fit exactly, with no wobble. When the flat on the bottom of the scope fits tightly on the feeler gauges, which fit tightly on the rail, with no wobble, then the scope is "level" with the rail, which is presumably level with the bore.

If you don't have feeler gauges, another member used playing cards. Not a bad idea in a pinch.

Kevin

I've used feeler gauges to make sure the ring tops sit level, as well - equal space on both sides of the ring, and equal torque values.

Mark H.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Infidel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The idea is:
1. the rail is level and perpendicular to the bore.
2. the flat spot on the bottom of the scope turret housing is flat and perpendicular to the vertical crosshair (and erector travel).

So, if you have a block that exactly fits between the bottom of the scope and the top of the rail, then making all the mating surfaces tight will make sure that the scope is "level" with the rifle.

So, .... stack the feeler gauges until they almost tightly fit between the rail and the bottom of the scope's turret housing. Then add small increments on the feeler gauge stack until they fit exactly, with no wobble. When the flat on the bottom of the scope fits tightly on the feeler gauges, which fit tightly on the rail, with no wobble, then the scope is "level" with the rail, which is presumably level with the bore.

</div></div>

Thanks for that. I just mounted my scope and it looks great. Myself, because a cheap sob, stripped one of the cap screws because I am too cheap to buy a torque wrench. Hopefully I never need to take it out of the mount, lol. Thanks again guys and have a great holiday.