• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mounting a scope?

pepperbelly

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2006
Fort Worth, Texas
My EGW base came today. I plan on mounting it tomorrow, but have a quick question.
Do I need to clean the threads with alcohol before mounting? I also need to get some blue Loctite. Do I also use the Loctite on the mount bolts for the rings?
I won't use it on the ring cap screws.
Should I get a torque wrench, or is it not that critical? I usually just tighten by feel but a recent mounting problem has me doubting a lot lately.

Jim.

Re: Mounting a scope?

Jim, Its important to make sure everything is clean. I dont recommend putting loctite on the screws, but you can put some on the base where it touches the action. this will seal out moisture, bond the base to your action somewhat and a little bit will get in your threads. This will allow you to remove your base if you want. If you do want to put something on your threads use fingernail polish. It works just fine and will allow the screw to be removed.

Use the manufactures recomended torque. Ours is 15-20 INCH lbs, but we use a high quality screw. Im not sure what other manufactures use. If you hold onto the short end of your L shaped wrench when you tighten it will be close..

Re: Mounting a scope?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> If you hold onto the short end of your L shaped wrench when you tighten it will be close.. </div></div>

Wow, that is a great idea and some great advice right there. That's exactly why i love this site.

I used blue loctite on my base and ring cap screws. I know most manfacturers don't recommend it on the cap screws but I still used a tiny amount. I don't like my shit looseing up on me once I've got it where I want it. Cleaning your hardware before you start is never a bad thing.