• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Mounting Badger rail on 700 LTR

raising_arizona

Private
Minuteman
Jun 1, 2006
Arizona
I went through Badger's online instructions, and just want to verify:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Clean base and top of 700 receiver (and screw holes) with solvent (is 90% Isopropyl alcohol OK?)[*]Put red loctite on bottom of base[*]Mount rail on receiver, check that all screws don't bottom out[*]Put loctite on screws, torque down to 15 in-lbs[*]Do a happy dance![/list]

They mention using red or green loctite. Should I stick with red? That pretty much means that rail is never coming off, correct?

Re: Mounting Badger rail on 700 LTR

I would not have used red, but personal preference.

When I mounted mine I had originally used green loctite. Decided to remount it and it was a pain in the butt to get off and somewhat clean.

I reinstalled using blue, same method you used.

I torqued slightly over 15.. ~ 17in/lbs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: raising_arizona</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went through Badger's online instructions, and just want to verify:

<ul style="list-style-type: disc">[*]Clean base and top of 700 receiver (and screw holes) with solvent (is 90% Isopropyl alcohol OK?) [*]Put red loctite on bottom of base[*]Mount rail on receiver, check that all screws don't bottom out[*]Put loctite on screws, torque down to 15 in-lbs[*]Do a happy dance![/list]

They mention using red or green loctite. Should I stick with red? That pretty much means that rail is never coming off, correct?
</div></div>

1. I just used some of my wives plain fingernail polish (make sure it says acetone or alcohol on ingredients)
2. Use blue or green loctite unless you really don't ever plan on taking it off.
3. When you mount the rail, put the front two screws in semi snug just not torqued, then push down on the back side of the rail. If you can push it down even the slightest bit before it touches down on the rail you will need to bed it. When I put mine on my LTR it was tight already. BO makes quality stuff and as long as your gun is right your GTG.
4. Again blue loctite and some guys torque it to 20 in lbs but I worried that might strip it out.
5. Dance all you want.

Thanks for the replies fellas. I haven't mounted it yet, so I'll go with blue loctite on the screws.

Did you guys put something on the bottom of the rail to keep out moisture? Badger mentions red loctite. That won't permanently stick the two together, will it? Should I just use blue between the rail and receiver?

I did take a little blue loctite and smeared some on the bottom of the base with my finger. Not sure how much it will keep moisture and rust out but that's why I would use blue so that some day when you decide to give it a good cleaning you can take it off plus it kind of gives it somewhat of a bedding job for good contact.

Check the screw length on a dry run, before any loctite is applied.

Well, I still haven't mounted it, but I'm close. I had to run a tap through one of the holes in the receiver to clean up a bit of metal that was at the bottom. Do I really need to use something like Locite between the rail and receiver? Will it bugger up the finish on the receiver?

BTW, I checked and the rail matches perfectly when I tighten the front two screws.
laugh.gif

I don't use anything between the rail and receiver (unless it needs bedded.) I've never had a problem with moisture or rust.

I wouldn't put anything between the base and action unless it absolutely needs it. Badger is pretty good about fitting properly